Poppy Day - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Not really interested in the debate, but all the "poppy fascists" i've seen not one of them has been in a direct firefight let alone a war.

I've not been in one either, used to go round the doors collecting each year though when i was in Cadets.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will buy my poppy and Wear it as usual. My money will therefore go to the charity I want and I will show my respect for all who have lost their lives in conflicts across the world.

I haven't seen anyone selling white poppies and I don't know which charity gets the cash, so won't be buying one of them.

I'd never heard of a white poppy till i read this thread and don't know what it represents and to be brutally honest I don't care

The red ones been on the go for years but it's nothing more than a point scoring exercise and it the true meaning of it is merely a shadow of its former self

Edited by DoonTheSlope

I'd never heard of a white poppy till i read this thread and don't know what it represents and to be brutally honest I don't care

The red ones been on the go for years but it's nothing more than a point scoring exercise and it the true meaning of it is merely a shadow of its former self

Just because other folk are trying to hijack and politicise the poppy won't stop me wearing it.

I wear for my own reasons and that will never change because of other peoples behaviour.

Just as there are morons that follow Rangers, I won't stop supporting my team because of them.

I will buy my poppy and Wear it as usual. My money will therefore go to the charity I want and I will show my respect for all who have lost their lives in conflicts across the world.

I haven't seen anyone selling white poppies and I don't know which charity gets the cash, so won't be buying one of them.

People are forced to buy white poppies on-line now because those that sell them have been the victims of violence and intimidation from idiotic members of the public or pissed up military types who for some reason believe they are insulting them. The only "crime" committed by people selling white poppies is the "crime" of thinking for themselves and refusing to just blindly follow the crowd.

The money goes to the Peace Pledge Union and their good work educating people young and old alike that there is nothing glorious about war ("the glorious dead" sentiment is just a vile lie), funding memorials for neglected victims of war (remembering women in war, animals in war, children in war and also conscientious objectors) across the UK and sometimes also funding legal action to stop the military recruiting in schools.

Some of us were brought up to think for ourselves and not to be afraid to ask questions of what everyone else regards as normal.

Some of us feel cold when we see medals, uniforms, military parades, flag draped coffins, and all that "for the honour of the regiment" and "for Queen and country" stuff.

Some of us are disgusted at the government, media and RBL's co-operation in turning what was a respectful, quiet day of reflection into a celebration of militarism and war. Glamorising the business of death for impressionable young minds.

Some of us are deeply uncomfortable at "honouring" those who took part in oppressive campaigns in Ireland (1916-1921), Iraq (1920), India (continuously until 1947), Burma (continuously until 1948), Kenya (1952-1960), Oman (1954-1959), Malaya (1948-1960) and Aden (1963-1967). Campaigns where British & Commonwealth armed forces (including Scots) acted as brutal aggressors and committed documented war crimes against civilians and prisoners of war.

Finally some of us think the government could help our veterans, war graves and memorials by scrapping Trident and putting a hundred million towards them instead. They shouldn't have to rely on charity, the government should be taking care of them.

The white poppy represents world peace and remembering all victims of all wars. I would encourage you to think about buying one and wearing one if you feel like it :ok:

Notable supporters of the white poppy campaign from the past have included Siegfried Sassoon, Vera Brittain, Aldous Huxley, Bertrand Russell and Hugh MacDiarmid.

People are forced to buy white poppies on-line now because those that sell them have been the victims of violence and intimidation from idiotic members of the public or pissed up military types who for some reason believe they are insulting them. The only "crime" committed by people selling white poppies is the "crime" of thinking for themselves and refusing to just blindly follow the crowd.

The money goes to the Peace Pledge Union and their good work educating people young and old alike that there is nothing glorious about war ("the glorious dead" sentiment is just a vile lie), funding memorials for neglected victims of war (remembering women in war, animals in war, children in war and also conscientious objectors) across the UK and sometimes also funding legal action to stop the military recruiting in schools.

Some of us were brought up to think for ourselves and not to be afraid to ask questions of what everyone else regards as normal.

Some of us feel cold when we see medals, uniforms, military parades, flag draped coffins, and all that "for the honour of the regiment" and "for Queen and country" stuff.

Some of us are disgusted at the government, media and RBL's co-operation in turning what was a respectful, quiet day of reflection into a celebration of militarism and war. Glamorising the business of death for impressionable young minds.

Some of us are deeply uncomfortable at "honouring" those who took part in oppressive campaigns in Ireland (1916-1921), Iraq (1920), India (continuously until 1947), Burma (continuously until 1948), Kenya (1952-1960), Oman (1954-1959), Malaya (1948-1960) and Aden (1963-1967). Campaigns where British & Commonwealth armed forces (including Scots) acted as brutal aggressors and committed documented war crimes against civilians and prisoners of war.

Finally some of us think the government could help our veterans, war graves and memorials by scrapping Trident and putting a hundred million towards them instead. They shouldn't have to rely on charity, the government should be taking care of them.

The white poppy represents world peace and remembering all victims of all wars. I would encourage you to think about buying one and wearing one if you feel like it :ok:

Notable supporters of the white poppy campaign from the past have included Siegfried Sassoon, Vera Brittain, Aldous Huxley, Bertrand Russell and Hugh MacDiarmid.

ffs does this include the oppressed irish republicans that bombed the shit out of strategic shopping centers??

ffs does this include the oppressed irish republicans that bombed the shit out of strategic shopping centers??

I did not include the PIRA or INLA in that list. Read it again very carefully.

Rather, I referred to "Ireland (1916-1921)". An awful era where an entire country lived in fear with the police and army given free reign (by the PM, Lloyd George, himself) to kill or beat up anyone including children, rape any woman, burn down or loot any property they wanted - all to crush a countries bid for independence.

Many of the men who fought for Ireland's freedom between 1916 and 1921 against overwhelming odds, had themselves been in the British military at one point. The great Irish patriots executed in 1916 - James Connolly and Michael Mallin - were both ex British Army, Mallin had even served in a Scottish Regiment.

The British Army did not come out of that era whiter than white at all. I regret to say that amongst many other, the 1st Bn of the Highland Light Infantry were notorious for opening fire upon civilians and torture. The Essex Regiment were known to be the most hated of all, they acted like savages (perhaps the most notorious incident being where they kidnapped a priest and burned him to death) towards innocent Irish civilians, the Essex's actions are comparable to the SS in Poland twenty years later.

Can you guess who said this ?

"Personally, my whole attention was given to defeating the rebels but it never bothered me a bit how many houses were burnt. I think I regarded all civilians as 'Shinners' and I never had any dealings with any of them. My own view is that to win a war of this sort, you must be ruthless. Oliver Cromwell, or the Germans, would have settled it in a very short time."

Bernard Montgomery - "Monty of El Alamein" fame on his time in Ireland between 1919-1921. A disgusting regard for human life.

This just scratches the surface.

It's one of the reasons why because of that and also similar actions in Kenya, Malaya, India etc. that I and many others refuse remember those who served in those particular campaigns "with honour". Colonial oppression is to be remembered with shame and remorse. We cannot just wash our hands clean of it like most people think.

I maybe wrong,but did Jose Mourinho have one on yesterday,(pin badge) that was a poppy with Chelsea badge next to it?

That's just wrong.

Probably punted in the club shop too.

Don't know about Mourinho, but Pellegrini certainly had one with a poppy & a City badge. They were a limited production of 1000 & available in the club for a donation (think the minimum was £5) with all funds going to charity :ok:

Is the wearing of a White Poppy not just hijacking remembrance day too?

I'm happy enough to stick a poppy on on remembrance day but I don't get why folk now seem to sport them from mid October?...

This

It's getting earlier and earlier in the year for people wearing them. A bit like the first Christmas tree in the shop in late September now you can also start wearing a poppy.

What I find irritating is the wearing of poppies by everyone on TV from about the middle of October onwards. It's almost as if nobody is allowed on screen unless they agree to wear a poppy.

The older I get, the more I resent the militarisation of the UK.

What I find irritating is the wearing of poppies by everyone on TV from about the middle of October onwards. It's almost as if nobody is allowed on screen unless they agree to wear a poppy.

The older I get, the more I resent the militarisation of the UK.

I saw a Facebook page that's sole purpose was to try and hound a newsreader off the TV for not wearing a poppy!

:shocked:

Who sets up that page?

They must be made to wear them, as with all due respect, take your average xfactor contestant, in there "old life" would they have always worn a poppy, or even thought to wear one? Yet everyone on the show has a big glittery one...

I saw a Facebook page that's sole purpose was to try and hound a newsreader off the TV for not wearing a poppy!

:shocked:

Who sets up that page?

They must be made to wear them, as with all due respect, take your average xfactor contestant, in there "old life" would they have always worn a poppy, or even thought to wear one? Yet everyone on the show has a big glittery one...

Glittery jewellery poppies give me the boak. What a load of self serving, sanctimonious pish. I actually find them disrespectful and scream "look at me" rather than showing dignified respect.

J

This year I've noticed people wearing a white poppy from the middle of October.

I actually phoned one of my mates to ask him what his view as, as i was seeing so much on facebook, I was getting scared everyone had been bitten, fortunately the madness hadn't affected him yet.

Perhaps folk should settle on letting folk remember in their own way and spend time reflecting on the dead and consequences of their sacrifice instead of trying to police how people go about doing the same thing.

I just unfriended a lassie on the book of pusses as she posted a pic with a huge poppy and the words "If you don't like our poppy then off out of our country".
That and the fact she is a wee cow getting. But it just shows the vitriol that is created nowadays with this debate. Disgusting and surely not what remembrance is about.