How Are Our Chances? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Are Our Chances?

Tartan_Wolf

Since we edged Ireland out at home. (I felt deservedly but not hugely)

Ireland have: thumped USA, drawn with Poland, and then drawn with England.

Scotland have: been thumped by England (maybe not especially on the scoring, but certainly on performance), beat Gibraltar, and beat Qatar.

Okay I know friendlies do not mean much, but they don't mean absolutely nothing. I am personally struggling to be confident about Saturdays game, despite many numerous positive perspectives in others posts, and would have to take a draw as a pretty positive result. Can someone share why they are feeling optimistic? Anyone think Georgia can take points off Poland?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reasons for optimism?

Well look at Strachan's record and you'll find that the only teams to beat us in the last year or more are Germany and England so no disgrace there. We have went to Poland and drawn and could quite easily have won, we have won away in Croatia and Macedonia under Strachan and we have turned our record in friendlies from a team that always lost friendlies into a team that rarely loses friendlies and often wins them. Throw in the fact we beat Ireland at home and what more can you ask for as a confidence booster?

I think going into a match, as the team who won the first match is more important

let them worry about us

I think this is our strongest advantage. Although I reckon the game will look more like rugby than football, the ability to choose the strategy will be huge. As for Strachan's form... I agree it's excellent. But in my opinion only games in the last 6 months will give an impact on Saturday. Or else you could say our humiliation at home from Wales would play a factor. I just don't feel that any of our top 11 players are "on form" if we do get a win on Saturday that edge must be laid at Strachan's feet.

Edited by Tartan_Wolf

TBH the england game was a non-event for us. The players, management, fans, all knew that the 3 points against Ireland were far mnore important than some friendly, even if it was against england. The Auld Enemy itch had been scratched the year before at Wembley, this game was just a contractually obliged pain in the arse.

The other 2 games we've won. You can only beat what is put in front of you.

From watching Ireland v England yesterday (and barely being able to stay awake for it) I can see that Ireland really struggle for goals, a bit like us in that respect.

They also seem to really rely on getting the ball to McGeady and hoping he pulls something out of nothing. In the game at Parkhead Robertson and Anya completely nullified McGeady.

If we can do that again then we'll be in a good place!

Have to improve a lot on the Qatar performance, but of course it'll be a different team. Was hoping the Ireland v that lot game would be a full-blooded flying-tackles affair with Ireland winning but coming out tired and with loads of injuries. Sadly we got yon borefest instead. Junior Cup Final was much more entertaining.

All we have to do is not concede in the first 20 minutes and we will win the game, stop the high balls into the box and thats the Irish fecked.

We require the front man or men to be able to hold the ball for the first part of the game, so not allowing the Irish to gain any momentum.

Watched part of the Ireland,England game yesterday [then fell asleep] but the English guys were not bothered about the game, when they played us they were right up for it as they had an easy game 3 or 4 days earlier where as we had a more important game against the Irish.

Scotland to win !!!!!!

Walters worries me. He's not the most talented but he can he very effective and he caused us the most problems in the last game.

However, their defence can be got at, especially with pace.

It's going to be close.

Was just about to post the same re o'shea. I'm convinced he is a weak link and we should be able to exploit. Had a couple of dodgy moments yesterday in what was a half arsed game and I vividly remember the highlights of Sunderland crystal palace s couple of months ago where he was beyond terrible judging by what was shown.

Did not see much on Friday night that encouraged me going into this game, but from that team only Marshall, Anya, Brown, Maloney and Nasmith will start (maybe outside chance of Ritchie and Mulgrew also) so will be totally different on Saturday.

Also take very little from Irelands result yesterday as sounds like both teams (though maybe every so slightly more England) were already on Holiday mode.

What do we think the strategy will be?

Sit in and counter, which we are really good at. (Germany)

Dominate possession, which we have been really good at times (phases of Poland and even Ireland, Georgia)

Attack at high pace immediately, score the first goal and end the contest. (Gibraltar)

The prize is massive for Scotland on this one. A win and chances of qualification significantly improves. That said, this is a must win for Ireland so they'll be going all out - which makes then vulnerable on the counter attack which we are good at under Anya, Maloney etc.

Scotland 1-0 with a midfielder scoring.

Since we edged Ireland out at home. (I felt deservedly but not hugely)

Ireland have: thumped USA, drawn with Poland, and then drawn with England.

Scotland have: been thumped by England (maybe not especially on the scoring, but certainly on performance), beat Gibraltar, and beat Qatar.

Okay I know friendlies do not mean much, but they don't mean absolutely nothing. I am personally struggling to be confident about Saturdays game, despite many numerous positive perspectives in others posts, and would have to take a draw as a pretty positive result. Can someone share why they are feeling optimistic? Anyone think Georgia can take points off Poland?

that is all you need to say. close this thread

Edited by bonny78

We need to starve the irish midfield of the ball, and also in set the pace of the game. Im confident that Brown will be able to bully the irish central midfielders, also if we can get behind the irish centre halfs then Anya will run riot especially if O'shea plays.

Prediction ROI 0 - 2 Scotland

We are due a win in Dublin

What do we think the strategy will be?

Sit in and counter, which we are really good at. (Germany)

In the second half of that game maybe. We could've been 3 or 4 down at the interval though.

Would rather see us try and dictate the play than sit in...