How Are Our Chances? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Are Our Chances?

Tartan_Wolf

No I never said you did. It is those craving big wins against Georgia who should take that on board. Gettng wins is all that should matter. 1-0 I will take anyday over say 0-0 like we had at home to Belarus a few years ago.

Ah right apologies for that then!

You're completely right, getting wins is all that matters and if we beat Georgia 1 - 0 away via an own goal I don't think anybody would be complaining.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah right apologies for that then!

You're completely right, getting wins is all that matters and if we beat Georgia 1 - 0 away via an own goal I don't think anybody would be complaining.

My only real concern is that ability to find the back of the net. We may go there and create many good chances but that in-built inherent Scottish trait of not scoring many goals may bite us on the bum. If we score first then I'd back us to hold firm at the back.

Someone else said "Ireland have no youth coming through" or something along those lines..

Fairly sure the Scottish team is fairly old.. Robertson aside I'd be thinking most of the Scotland team are above 24/25.

24 or 25 isn't old. Most of our squad has at the very least another campaign in them.

24 or 25 isn't old. Most of our squad has at the very least another campaign in them.

Yes but it's not young either.. apart from O'Shea,Keane,Given the Irish team Isn't Old. E.g Long,Brady,Coleman,McCarthy,Clark will all mostly likely be playing for another 6 years or more

Yes but it's not young either.. apart from O'Shea,Keane,Given the Irish team Isn't Old. E.g Long,Brady,Coleman,McCarthy,Clark will all mostly likely be playing for another 6 years or more

I'm not talking about the Ireland squad. You said the Scotland one was fairly old, which isn't true

Of the team that lined-up last week against Qatar I'd say out of the 17 players used then:-

Goalkeepers Marshall (30) and Gordon (32) as we know keepers have a longer shelf-life so they could conceivably still have another three campaigns in them.

Defender Greer (34) this may be his last campaign but everyone else has at least two campaigns left in them (including this one).

In midfield perhaps Fletcher and Maloney (have one campaign in them after this one) and the rest have more.

In attack Naismith has at least another two campaigns in him.

Youngsters coming through include Hanley, Robertson, Armstrong and lets not forgey Ryan Gauld and maybe Jack Harper and I am sure people here can throw more names in there.

Everything hinges on saturdays result IMO. A loss and we could be in big trouble, 1 point behind them, tricky tie in georgia while they play gibralter. A win for us and it would be hard to see ireland coming back from a 5 point gap. Its hard to tell which way this will go which makes it even more nervewracking. I haven't been this nervous since i was stood next to shaking steven in the gents

Edited by daddybuc16

Everything hinges on saturdays result IMO. A loss and we could be in big trouble, 1 point behind them, tricky tie in georgia while they play gibralter. A win for us and it would be hard to see ireland coming back from a 5 point gap. Its hard to tell which way this will go which makes it even more nervewracking. I haven't been this nervous since i was stood next to shaking steven in the gents

:ok::ok::ok:

He wasn't behind the green door then ?

He wasn't behind the green door then ?

A draw and we end up relying on germany and poland getting the right result against them? A draws not the the end of the world, but leaves less room for error possibly.

Edited by daddybuc16

I'm not talking about the Ireland squad. You said the Scotland one was fairly old, which isn't true

Just saying its unfair to think Ireland have no youngsters coming through. Hendrick (22),McCarthy(24), Brady (23) are all parts of the team already and are quite young.

I suppose Jack Grealish is very young and talented too although it remains to be seen who he represents.

Wasn't saying the Scottish squad is old but it's fairly comparable to the Irish squad. (Barring O'Shea , Given ,Keane)

More an more folk now realising how big this game is....which is why I'd bite a hand off for a draw right now. Been helluva long this week this has it no

I have seen this a HUGE game for a long time.

Not only for the points factor but it marks a turning point for us to show we can take the pressure games.

Add to that this could be o neills last game if they lose bring it on ..........................

Just saying its unfair to think Ireland have no youngsters coming through. Hendrick (22),McCarthy(24), Brady (23) are all parts of the team already and are quite young.

I suppose Jack Grealish is very young and talented too although it remains to be seen who he represents.

Wasn't saying the Scottish squad is old but it's fairly comparable to the Irish squad. (Barring O'Shea , Given ,Keane)

Yes and we have youngsters coming through as well such as Hanley, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Ryan Gauld and Jack Harper.

Anyone think Charlie Adam has a chance of starting? Think he finished the season in fine form for Stoke City. Can imagine the front four being Naismith, Anya, Maloney and Fletcher but will Strachan spring a major surprise in the forward area?

Peoples knowlege of the Irish team on here really is shocking. One poster saying we are "relying on Robbie Keane" . Bloody hell. He was dropped in November and he'll be dropped on Sat.

we will see if he's dropped but i predict that ireland are going to get a hellva beating!

Can't see Chico the hammer Adam startin for us either. Def worth him coming on to provide some maverickness if circumstances permit but I'd have him behind a striker. dont want another not tracking back bale scenario so would just have him high up the pitch and hope he gets his wand on something

If Wes Hoolahan doesn't play and Ireland hoof a long ball up the field within 30 seconds of kick off, then the match is yours.

I don't see a draw.

Saturday is either going to be the same old Ireland we've seen in the majority of this campaign, and we'll be beaten by you guys. If the shackles come off, I think we might see a different Ireland.

There's a lot riding on this match for the FAI, players, fans and football as a whole in Ireland. If we lose our campaign is effectively over and we don't play a meaningful game again til September 2016.

Given the "knock out" nature of the game from our perspective, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ireland produce something special that takes even the home fans by surprise.