How Are Our Chances? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Are Our Chances?

Tartan_Wolf

Last 14 games - form

Scotland WWDWWDLWDWLWWW
Ireland DLLDDLWWWDLWDD
Gordon Strachan
Played 20 - Won 11 - Drawn 3 - Lost 6 (Win% = 55%)
Martin O'Neill
Played 15 - Won 5 - Drawn 6 - Lost 4 (Win% = 33.33%)
Edited by Doakes

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The irish do have the odd blip at home , didn't Germany beat them 5 or 6 -1 in Dublin not too long ago

Aye, 6-1. They have also lost at home to Sweden, Russia and that play off against France. But I don't think they have lost at home to any team as pish a s Wales. I think their home form in qualifiers must be better than ours. But they do seem to draw a lot of games which makes me think we will get a draw. A draw would do me. They are hard to beat in Dublin.

Aye, 6-1. They have also lost at home to Sweden, Russia and that play off against France. But I don't think they have lost at home to any team as pish a s Wales. I think their home form in qualifiers must be better than ours. But they do seem to draw a lot of games which makes me think we will get a draw. A draw would do me. They are hard to beat in Dublin.

Wales aren't pish anymore. I reckon they're gonna stroll to France next year. Some crackin players.

I agree a draw is the most likely outcome.

If we win, we'll be pot 2. If we don't, we'll be in pot 3.

If Ireland win, they'll be pot 3. If they don't, we'll be in pot 4.

A win, for both teams is a massive boost to both their Euro 2016 and their World Cup 2018 chances.

Make no mistake; this is our biggest match since Italy at Hampden is November 2007.

That's all games, aye? Have you got a similar stat for home qualifiers only?

SCOTLAND (competitive matches since 2012)
DDLLLLWLWWLWDWW
IRELAND (competitive matches since 2012)
LLLWLWDDWLLLWWWDLD
Ireland have a few more since they qualified for Euro 2012
Our away form has been pretty poor, but similar-ish to Ireland
SCOTLAND AWAY (since 2012)
LLLWWLD
IRELAND AWAY (since 2012)
WDLLWDL

A win, for both teams is a massive boost to both their Euro 2016 and their World Cup 2018 chances.

Make no mistake; this is our biggest match since Italy at Hampden is November 2007.

Did you mean if Ireland don't win they are in pot 4?

Are these the likely line-ups?

IRELAND

Westwood

Coleman...O'Shea...Wilson...Brady

McCarthy...Whelan

Walters......Hoolahan......McGeady

Long

v

Fletcher

Anya......Naismith......Maloney

Brown...Mulgrew

Robertson...Greer...Martin...Hutton

Marshall

SCOTLAND

Are these the likely line-ups?dont think your far off with those teams , we might play whittaker instead of robertson biut i hope not

IRELAND

Westwood

McCarthy...Whelan

Long

v

Fletcher

Brown...Mulgrew

Marshall

SCOTLAND

I think there are 5 decisions to make for Strachan. Hutton, Martin, Brown, Anya, Naismith and S.Fletcher will start, if fit.

1. Goalkeeper. Marshall v Gordon.

They are both good options and I'm happy with either although I think Gordon is slightly better.

2. Left-Back. Robertson v Whittaker v Forsyth.

Again, there isn't much in it and it's whether we go for experience or raw talent. I'm hoping for Robertson.

3. Centre-Back. Berra v Greer v Mulgrew to partner Martin.

I think that Greer is going to get the nod although I'd go with Berra.

4. Holding-Midfield. Mulgrew v McArthur v D.Fletcher v Morrison.

I personally think Strachan will go with Mulgrew because it's like having a 3rd centre-back at corners and free-kicks.

5. Right-Wing. Maloney v Ritchie v Forrest.

Maloney has been our star so far, Ritchie is flavour of the month and Forrest has the pace that Strachan wants. Tough call.

I think there are 5 decisions to make for Strachan. Hutton, Martin, Brown, Anya, Naismith and S.Fletcher will start, if fit.

They are both good options and I'm happy with either although I think Gordon is slightly better.

Again, there isn't much in it and it's whether we go for experience or raw talent. I'm hoping for Robertson.

I personally think Strachan will go with Mulgrew because it's like having a 3rd centre-back at corners and free-kicks.

Maloney has been our star so far, Ritchie is flavour of the month and Forrest has the pace that Strachan wants. Tough call.

Good post. :ok:

I agree with you with regards to keepers but I think Marshall will get the nod.

I agree with you on left-back as well and depends how confident Gorden is feeling. It wouldn't surprise me if Whittaker gets the nod.

On centre-backs Berra or Greer well they are much of a muchness but may just opt for Berra's experience.

I'd go for Mulgrew. He's never let us down. Fletcher I feel has seen better days, McArthur I really don't rate and Morrison offers more going forward so again it depends on how confident Gordon is feelin.

As for the right wing it is a no-brainer. It has to be Maloney. Ritchie is not ready for a game of this scale yet and Forrest's final ball is poor. May be a good option to call on late on though to run at tired legs.

Marshall

Hutton Martin Greer Whittaker

Mulgrew

Morrison Brown

Naismith Anya

S Fletcher

I don't think WGS will play both Hutton and Robertson. Too attack minded. Whittaker to start LB. Mulgrew a cert in holding role with Brown and Morrison in front. He likes Morrison who can sit and attack. The front 3 if fit pick themselves.

Edited by Eastiebeastie

Marshall

Mulgrew

Morrison Brown

Naismith Anya

S Fletcher

I don't think WGS will play both Hutton and Robertson. Too attack minded. Whittaker to start LB. Mulgrew a cert in holding role with Brown and Morrison in front. He likes Morrison who can sit and attack. The front 3 if fit pick themselves.

I certainly agree with your full-back thoughts. No way is Gordon going to play two attack-minded full-backs. However, there is no way Maloney won't figure considering what a talismanic figure he has been for us. Swap Maloney for Morrison and you are there I reckon.

Marshall

Mulgrew

Morrison Brown

Naismith Anya

S Fletcher

That's the team I think WGS will pick too though personally I'd have Robertson instead of Whittaker. Either will need some protection to keep McGeady quiet.

Playing Hutton and Robertson is a good option to prevent Brady and Coleman pushing on - both carry an attacking threat

Edited by Tartan Eagle

I was looking at this exact situation yesterday. Ireland are at the moment the highest ranked pot 4 team.

They really don't need much to get into pot 3, even the bore draw with a highly ranked team like England, would have made that closer.

Like you say, its a huge match for both teams, and for both of the next tournaments.

Are these the likely line-ups?dont think your far off with those teams , we might play whittaker instead of robertson biut i hope not

IRELAND

Westwood

McCarthy...Whelan

Long

v

Fletcher

Brown...Mulgrew

Marshall

SCOTLAND

This Ireland team, but with Given instead of Westwood.

Good post. :ok:

I agree with you with regards to keepers but I think Marshall will get the nod.

I agree with you on left-back as well and depends how confident Gorden is feeling. It wouldn't surprise me if Whittaker gets the nod.

On centre-backs Berra or Greer well they are much of a muchness but may just opt for Berra's experience.

I'd go for Mulgrew. He's never let us down. Fletcher I feel has seen better days, McArthur I really don't rate and Morrison offers more going forward so again it depends on how confident Gordon is feelin.

As for the right wing it is a no-brainer. It has to be Maloney. Ritchie is not ready for a game of this scale yet and Forrest's final ball is poor. May be a good option to call on late on though to run at tired legs.

I think we may see Mulgrew at centre half with either Morrison or Fletcher in midfield beside Broon.

I think we may see Mulgrew at centre half with either Morrison or Fletcher in midfield beside Broon.

I thought that at first but I think that the Brown / Mulgrew partnership will be used in midfield for 2 reasons; they have a good understanding from their club games & it would give us an extra player in the ariel battle that is going to be vital in this match.

It will be harder for them to get at us from freekicks and corners if we have Hutton, Martin, Greer, Mulgrew, Fletcher and Naismith back defending them with Robertson, Anya and Maloney ready to break.

1. Marshall I think starts simply due to him being the one in possession of the jersey at the moment.

2. Robertson had a hard second half of the season, didn't play much, 4 starts since 1st Jan. I doubt he starts here. I think it will probably be Whittaker, who Strachan was happy enough with in Poland but Forsyth might be his back up after his 90 mins on Friday.

3. I think Berra starts as he had a decent season at Ipswich.

4. I hear what you say about Mulgrews height but I think Morrison is another of Strachans favs and he will put him and Brown in there together. Both mobile and a lot of energy.

5. Has to be Maloney.