How Are Our Chances? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Are Our Chances?

Tartan_Wolf

I think this game is about as evenly matched as it can be. Ireland may well be qutie weary at the start like their game against Poland, and if they lose it will be a lot more difficult for them than us.

There's nothing between the two sides. We are very evenly matched and I've said all week, I'd take a 0-0 right now.

Agree about Georgia - they will take a point or more off one of the top four sides. We were lucky against them at home, and we have history there too.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we edged Ireland out at home. (I felt deservedly but not hugely)

Ireland have: thumped USA, drawn with Poland, and then drawn with England.

Scotland have: been thumped by England (maybe not especially on the scoring, but certainly on performance), beat Gibraltar, and beat Qatar.

Okay I know friendlies do not mean much, but they don't mean absolutely nothing. I am personally struggling to be confident about Saturdays game, despite many numerous positive perspectives in others posts, and would have to take a draw as a pretty positive result. Can someone share why they are feeling optimistic? Anyone think Georgia can take points off Poland?

Easy, we have a manager with a track record of getting results.

The players are running through brick walls for him. They wouldn't even turn up for previous mangers squads.

They are now frightened to drop out incase they loose their squad or first team place.

We have three potential match winners Anya, Maloney and Naismith.

They are seemingly going to rely on Robbie Keane, who is an excellent player but in my opinion well by his best at international level.

Without being arrogant, I fancy us on Saturday.

TIme will tell.

:ok:

They nearly went up the pitch in the second half there one and only time but the boy fluffed it,granted we should have won by at least 3

Agree the game at ibrox was nervy, but I thought Scotland controlled the game. Strachan asked the team to try and get a second goal but not to let them in at the other end. Apart from the one very good chance, where the boy fluffed it Georgia were contained.

Could be wrong but I just felt that if they had equalised we would have stepped up a gear to go in the lead again. The following game in warsaw where we went down, only to go 1-2 up shows that this team has bottle and resilience to come back from a goal down.

Hoping they don't have to in dublin, but lets not panic if ireland go one up.

In GOrD we trust

Wouldn't look too much into friendlies GTR. Same as the friendlies Scotland and ROI had last weekend.

Germany can be got at if you get them on the back foot. We had them on the ropes for a good spell in Dortmund but some shambolic defending cost us that night. The way things are at the moment I fancy picking something up at Hampden against them in September.

Wouldn't look too much into friendlies GTR. Same as the friendlies Scotland and ROI had last weekend.

Germany can be got at if you get them on the back foot. We had them on the ropes for a good spell in Dortmund but some shambolic defending cost us that night. The way things are at the moment I fancy picking something up at Hampden against them in September.

Agree, poland at home aswell.

:ok:

True mate - just thought as they have been under-par so far , they mite have hoped to get a few wins under their belt even if a friendly and show the world they are back on song......but definitely wont read too much into it

Agree about Georgia - they will take a point or more off one of the top four sides. We were lucky against them at home, and we have history there too.

Georgia lost at home to Ukraine in a friendly. Now the last I looked they (Ukraine) are below us in the rankings and in a comparable position with us in their qualifying campaign so I'd say that gives me more hope we will beat Georgia and not less. I also don't buy into people saying Georgia could have drawn the match against us because they had chances. On the chances count we had much more so it totally blows this talk that if they had takes their chances idea. If both sides had taken all of their chances it would have been a more comfortable win for Scotland.

Don't matter who you're playing a 1 - 0 lead is always dangerous, yes on the whole the match might've looked comfortable, but it only takes a second to score a goal and Georgia did look dangerous albeit sporadically.

At the end of the day - a win is a win. And three points go in the bank. Sometimes I have seen us pummel sides (even much better sides than Georgia) and lose or draw. It happens. At the end of the day it is the result at the end of the day that matters.

At the end of the day - a win is a win. And three points go in the bank. Sometimes I have seen us pummel sides (even much better sides than Georgia) and lose or draw. It happens. At the end of the day it is the result at the end of the day that matters.

Indeed. I'm not really bothered how we get the win just as long as we do.

Sometimes though it would be nice for it to be a bit more comfortable, but that's not going to happen when Scotland are playing!

Hope those three points don't go in a Scottish or Irish bank. Neither have the best reputation.

Indeed. I'm not really bothered how we get the win just as long as we do.

Sometimes though it would be nice for it to be a bit more comfortable, but that's not going to happen when Scotland are playing!

We have never been a prolific goalscoring country though. The clues are there. Fletcher being the first Scotland hat-trick scorer since 1969 and our top scorer of all-time having scored 31 international goals when most countries record is a lot higher. Therefore comfortable wins are rare for us.

We have never been a prolific goalscoring country though. The clues are there. Fletcher being the first Scotland hat-trick scorer since 1969 and our top scorer of all-time having scored 31 international goals when most countries record is a lot higher. Therefore comfortable wins are rare for us.

Whilst I agree, I can't see where I stated on the contrary...

We were without of two starting centre midfielders against you in Nov. We'll be a lot more stable come Sat.

Given

Wilson

Whelan

McCarthy

Hoolahan

They will all start. It's a totally different team from the one you faced in Nov. From what I can remember we hit the bar or post and had another late chance. It was far from "as comfortable as it gets"

We were without of two starting centre midfielders against you in Nov. We'll be a lot more stable come Sat.

Given

Wilson

Whelan

McCarthy

Hoolahan

They will all start. It's a totally different team from the one you faced in Nov. From what I can remember we hit the bar or post and had another late chance. It was far from "as comfortable as it gets"

Pretty sure said person was talking about the Georgia match with that one.

Don't think anybody could use that description for the ROI match.

Peoples knowlege of the Irish team on here really is shocking. One poster saying we are "relying on Robbie Keane" . Bloody hell. He was dropped in November and he'll be dropped on Sat.

Someone else said "Ireland have no youth coming through" or something along those lines..

Fairly sure the Scottish team is fairly old.. Robertson aside I'd be thinking most of the Scotland team are above 24/25.