Ok So Who Is Shitting Themselves - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ok So Who Is Shitting Themselves

Before the referendum, there was only 1 poll in our favour prior to the vote (and look at the reaction that generated from the 3 WM parties!). All other polls had a No victory.

The bookies also had the winning margin pretty much spot on.

This time round, both the polls and the bookies have the SNP heading towards a landslide victory. Given their track record from September, I think we have cause for optimism.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be delighted with anything over 30 seats, especially if that number includes a few of the "targets" from Labour and the Lib Dems.

I am planning a ghoster tomorrow night just to catch some of their greeting faces live as the results are announced. It will be a tiny, tiny bit of payback for September when they were all dancing with joy. :angry:

Not really that nervous about the actual result, I reckon snp will do very well. At least 30 but probably 40+

Wee bit more apprehensive about the long-run I.e. After all the hype everything the snp contingent does will be scrutinised and they could find themselves in a lose-lose situation.

Whatever happens I just hope it isn't detrimental in next year's elections

Praying for a few Portillo moments tomorrow, Northernscum. We won't get all the ####ers, but if Curran, Iain Davidson and my ain folk booting Alexander are punted then will crack open the only bottle of uisge (Teachers) left in celebration.

You're built like a hoose. Calm doon

Not really that nervous about the actual result, I reckon snp will do very well. At least 30 but probably 40+

Wee bit more apprehensive about the long-run I.e. After all the hype everything the snp contingent does will be scrutinised and they could find themselves in a lose-lose situation.

Whatever happens I just hope it isn't detrimental in next year's elections

Agreed

I have worries about the quality of some of the people standing as SNP candidates. But I'd still rather have them that the likes of Curran, Brown, Darling, Murphy and the Alexanders.

I am utterly crapping it about the GE results. I just cannot face another 19th Sept feeling. Although nothing will ever match that feeling, if the results in this election are way off what the opinion polls suggest I just can't face the thought of what things will be like.

I have a similar feeling of holding my breath as I did on the 17th Sept and am utterly dreading the wait for the results!

I know quite a few of the candidates too and that makes this election so different to any other I have lived through. I just want things to go well for all the people I know who have worked so hard.

I'm secure in the knowledge I won't have to look at your miserable pus on Saturday unlike last September.*

It was a completely different scenario then. We hoped and believed that we could have the momentum to get it over the line but that was in the face of virtually all the evidence which pointed to the contrary.

Nothing has moved in this election for months as far as Scotland - or indeed the rest of the UK - is concerned. Any changes are all in the margin of error.

There will be a lot of close counts and some will undoubtedly not go our way but I can't see anything other than Scotland returning a strong group of SNP MPs that will hold the balance of power come Friday.

What happens next is for the politicians to sort out.

*smilies don't work on the phone.

Edited by aaid

It would give me huge pleasure and stave off my curse of death on Scotland if Labour were annihilated but even if so it would be a hollow 'victory'.

Months after the No the voters are not now voting for anything like a Yes or independence, in fact quite the opposite, they are voting SNP because Yes has been explicitly ruled out. What cowards, yes the Scottish electorate have recognized how corrupt and ed the other parties are... but only now they feel safe that Yes is dead can they punish them at the ballet box by voting 'independence'. Booooooak.

I understand your point but I don't think it's as cut and dried as that. YES has increased it's numbers, maybe by as much as 200,000 or more. This change is a process, and people come to the cause at different times: it's frustrating but natural that some will take longer to be convinced. IMO it's more important that large numbers of NO voters convert, although I agree this is not what this GE vote is about. However we should treat this GE for what is: a launch pad for Holyrood 2016. (SNP and Scotland will be a winner in this GE whether or not anyone talks to SNP or Scotland's voice is heard in WM).

As has been said here many times, we should be ambitious and reach for 65% YES. If it takes 5-10 years, so be it.

Throughout that journey, YES voters will welcome converted NO voters into the fold but we should also understand that many voted NO for (their own) good reasons. These reasons can, and for many will, change. At some stage in the future, hands will surely be shaken and a YES vote will be a YES vote regardless of past voting record. IMO conciliation will lead to more handshakes than bitterness. This is not appeasement, this is not war. This is the way to bring people with us.

Back on thread: yes, I'm sh****g it too. I drove up today, stocked up for a long night (Morrisons have Glen Morangie at £24!!).

I've been really cautious up to now but I've snapped: I predict 47 to SNP (though I'll be gutted if either Alexander survives)

Edited by Tartan Eagle

I wonder if they are as keen to stop the flow of people, particularly well educated and talented people, from Scotland to the "South East"; or indeed the revenues from gas, oil and whisky.

Don't be silly

I don't think anything will ever top the 19th of September. Just a horrible, gut wrenching and somber day - it was bloody awful weather, and it took me about 2 weeks to fully get over it - passing people in the street and just thinking 'wonder how they voted'. The Indyref was a ride of emotions, went through every feeling from we'll be lucky to get 35% to we'll be winning it with 55%, about 2 days before the vote I had come to the conclusion it would be 55-45 and geared myself for a no vote, kept telling myself it'll be a no, it'll be no, yet maybe it was the exit polling, 10.30pm the 'experts' all saying there's 99% chance it's a No vote - just awful, but...

This is not the Indyref. The polls have shown a massive lead for the SNP. The Indyref polls never showed anything of that. We should see a good night for the SNP. I don't want to jinx/predict anything regards our numbers, and avoiding pretty much betting on any of these potential seats.

I think we will see forms of tactical voting, but how much of a difference will it make? Probably the likes of Edinburgh South, East Renfrew will see Labour hold their seats, but everything from those 4 different tactical voting wheels to 4 way constituencies in Argyll and Bute show that many of these tactical votes will eat themselves out.

This

It's a weird feeling as I'm voting SNP and want them to do well but don't think I want them in government, mainly because I think it will damage them for next year

SNP won't touch being in government with a sh!tty stick... who the hell would want to be that unpopular...

As I said about 6 months ago. Tories will be biggest party and if SNP get more than 40 seats they will offer devo max except VAT, defence and foreign policy in return for them baling out of WM....

It would give me huge pleasure and stave off my curse of death on Scotland if Labour were annihilated but even if so it would be a hollow 'victory'.

Months after the No the voters are not now voting for anything like a Yes or independence, in fact quite the opposite, they are voting SNP because Yes has been explicitly ruled out. What cowards, yes the Scottish electorate have recognized how corrupt and ed the other parties are... but only now they feel safe that Yes is dead can they punish them at the ballet box by voting 'independence'. Booooooak.

Nah. If, for example, the SNP get 54% of the popular vote you can be pretty sure that they will include almost all of the 45% who voted Yes.

I suppose it felt like there was some difference possible. Since the referendum, it has just felt like whoever runs Westminster has no bearing, its the same either way.

It's been like that since Thatcher more or less.

Edited by Lamia

Bet365 where offering 10/11 on SNP getting less than 51 seats. Now down to 8/11 but still easy money in my opinion.

I agree. Although every opinion poll there has been has the SNP getting more than 51 seats...

I am utterly crapping it about the GE results. I just cannot face another 19th Sept feeling. Although nothing will ever match that feeling, if the results in this election are way off what the opinion polls suggest I just can't face the thought of what things will be like.

I have a similar feeling of holding my breath as I did on the 17th Sept and am utterly dreading the wait for the results!

I know quite a few of the candidates too and that makes this election so different to any other I have lived through. I just want things to go well for all the people I know who have worked so hard.

I think you'll be happy with the result this time, so no need to worry. I agree, it's more difficult when you know people involved (either as candidates or supporters who put in a shit load of work)

If the SNP get 30 seats then it will be a magnificent result. As long as there are more SNP MPs being sent to Westminster than Labour tw@ts I'll be happy.

Even if SNP get 59 seats, I still think there'll be more Labour twats in Westminster :ok:

This

It's a weird feeling as I'm voting SNP and want them to do well but don't think I want them in government, mainly because I think it will damage them for next year

I agree 40+ seats & a part of government could kill the SNP as it has done to the Lib Dems

SNP won't touch being in government with a sh!tty stick.

Don't agree - if Milliband was to offer Salmond deputy PM & a few concessions the SNP would jump at it. Equally, if Cameron was to offer FFA & the chance of another indyref, I think they would jump at that too.

Indyref was all consuming for me, that moment seeing the first exit poll coming out after 10pm will stay with me forever. Then watching the Unionist cabal on tv that night gloating was gut wrenching.

I fear the SNP vote may not come out and vote in the % of the other parties who rely on the "older" generation. There was a real buzz about voting in September,not sure you will get the same impetus as before.

So Lamia, yes, I am sh1tting myself.

I think you'll be happy with the result this time, so no need to worry. I agree, it's more difficult when you know people involved (either as candidates or supporters who put in a shit load of work)

Even if SNP get 59 seats, I still think there'll be more Labour twats in Westminster :ok:

I agree 40+ seats & a part of government could kill the SNP as it has done to the Lib Dems

Don't agree - if Milliband was to offer Salmond deputy PM & a few concessions the SNP would jump at it. Equally, if Cameron was to offer FFA & the chance of another indyref, I think they would jump at that too.

It would be tricky for the SNP to take that offer, given Sturgeon's quote about not putting the Tories in government, as well as the way she has tried to reach out to rUK voters in the campaign.

I think the only way would be to somehow strike a deal where a referendum on FFA is held, with a 'Yes' result seeing the SNP abstaining in a confidence vote on a Tory govt in Westminster. Whether this would be possible I've no idea - would there be an appetite for another referendum in Scotland?