Operation 'stop The Treble' - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Operation 'stop The Treble'

Heard someone on either the radio or Sky this morning say that clubs ask the SFA for clarification on refereeing decisions nearly every week, but they do it privately. The difference here is Celtic have gone running to the press and made a public affair of the whole thing. While Celtic haven't asked for Meekings to be punished I can't help feeling that the SFA have felt pressured to do something because of the publicity. The compliance officer shouldn't be looking at cases like this as far as I'm concerned. The system should be limited to violent incidents.

Hopefully Inverness are successful and he gets to play in the final.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The compliance officer shouldn't be looking at cases like this as far as I'm concerned. The system should be limited to violent incidents.

Absolutely, if the SFA proceed with this they are opening a can of worms and will have to start doing it for every missed handball or missed foul in the box, where does it end?

The last refs strike saw officials brought in from abroad for matches who no doubt were far more competent than our home grown numpties.. If I remember rightly, the weather basically made the strike pointless as the vast majority of fixtures were postponed. Did that not start because of Lennon and McBride bumping their gums about a penalty decision that was reversed in a match they actually won?

Coming from an Aberdeen fan that's pretty good. Aberdeen the club where at least 10 out of every 10 of their fans are sanctimonious up themselves khunts.

I know from the posters name alone that this post will be beneath me. I will have my people read it and provide a suitable response if warranted.

McLean and his assistant had a shocker on Sunday and their incompetence has probably cost Celtic the treble. However it's nothing to do with conspiracies or him bring a currant bun etc etc it's simply the fact that he is an unbelievably shit ref and nothing else.

Many examples of his incompetence are cited on this thread and others which is why (and is the only reason why) I'm actually glad Celtic lodged a complaint. His shocking displays cannot be allowed to continue unchecked and his string of dreadful decisions swept under the carpet. The time has come for him to be held to account for his obvious failings.

His blunders gave been high profile and affected the outcome of more than just Sunday's game and it's not just Celtic that have suffered as result. If Celtic's complaint leads to him being held accountable at last and saves other teams from suffering the consequences of his poor decision making then quite frankly it is a good thing. If he learns from it and becomes a decent ref (well you never know) then even better.

Whether or not that is what is driving Celtic's decision to complain I know not, but it would be a happy consequence either way.

Celtic's letter of complaint as far as I am aware is about McLean's incompetence and seeking an explanation and nothing else. Unless they requested Meekings be suspended, which I very much doubt, then to blame Celtic for the farcical decision to suspend him is well wide of the mark.

You could argue that Meekings would've been banned for the final if McLean had been semi competent and done his job right but I think that would've been harsh anyway as would Gordon's suspension had Celtic made it.

I don't believe any player should miss a final through suspension unless it is due to a straight red for either violent conduct or serious foul play.

Missing finals due to picking up x number of yellows during the competition or 2 in a semi seems very harsh to me. Some of these guys may never get the chance to play in a cup final again.

Whoever has decided Meekings should be banned, particularly in the circumstances, needs to take a long look at themselves. That is just pathetic.

Great post sir. Everyone knows we have a large number of masonic conspiracy theorists amongst our support...I'm not one of them.

However something has to be done about the shocking standard of refereeing in this country. The mere fact that the likes of McLean and Gollum are still handling top level games after so many shocking errors shows that there is something far wrong.

It would seem that if your face fits with John Fleming that's all the endorsement you need.

Great post sir. Everyone knows we have a large number of masonic conspiracy theorists amongst our support...I'm not one of them.

However something has to be done about the shocking standard of refereeing in this country. The mere fact that the likes of McLean and Gollum are still handling top level games after so many shocking errors shows that there is something far wrong.

It would seem that if your face fits with John Fleming that's all the endorsement you need.

Collum getting top level games in Scotland is bad enough. Giving him tonights Monaco v Juve Champions League Quarter is mind boggling!

I agree that's how it SHOULD be as per the letter of the law. However it is not. The whole unnatural position interpretation has been introduced by FIFA. Wrong in my opinion

Only to help referees establish whether it has been intentional or not. That's still the law - the unnatural thing is a guideline to use help judge intent or otherwise. It's not illegal for your hands to be anywhere you want them, nor for the ball to hit them.

I would argue that defenders holding their hands behind their back when trying to block a cross is unnatural but that's what they do cos people can't judge handball properly.

I'd say 90% of handballs are unintentional.

Not the first time the SFA have tried to right a wrong and make an arse of it. They've now opened a floodgate for clubs to challenge any decision that the officials have missed an see players banned left, right and centre for deliberate fouls, handballs etc. It's ludicrous that they can ban Meekings but not punish Callum Butcher following mistaken identity.

Not the first time the SFA have tried to right a wrong and make an arse of it. They've now opened a floodgate for clubs to challenge any decision that the officials have missed an see players banned left, right and centre for deliberate fouls, handballs etc. It's ludicrous that they can ban Meekings but not punish Callum Butcher following mistaken identity.

That's exactly what should happen - Every time your team plays Celtic send a separate letter to SFA about every single incorrect decision...

As a famous Govan philosopher once said "They'll get a damn sight sicker of this befoe I do".....

I do believe that St Johnstone had Brian Graham banned retrospectively after tv evidence suggested he had dived. I would say that evidence was less definite than the Meekins incident so really can't see what the fuss is about apart from all the moaning Celts. It was clear from the replay at the time that even if Griffiths hadn't been blocking the official's view, the angle of Meekins body would have probably prevented the official seeing what the ball came off or even if his arm had been raised.

lot of moaning over nothing on both sides here.

One of you won, one of you lost. Get over it.

That's exactly what should happen - Every time your team plays Celtic send a separate letter to SFA about every single incorrect decision...

As a famous Govan philosopher once said "They'll get a damn sight sicker of this befoe I do".....

I think this is the best way to get Celtic to grow up a bit and get the SFA to start acting a bit more professionally.

Every team should write a letter for every refereeing error that costs them against Celtic. These should all be made public and the insinuation of favouritism should be clear.

Unless the SFA grow a set first.

I'm sure lots of teams have written about lots of decisions but why Celtic had to make it public is pathetically petty. They're either asking to have the officials disciplined (which is nothing to do with them) or they were looking to get Meekings banned.

They can't seriously expect anything other than a stock response of "they didnae see it" unless they're complete cretins.

Every team should write a letter for every refereeing error that costs them against Celtic. These should all be made public and the insinuation of favouritism should be clear.

Unless the SFA grow a set first.

Yup. I totally agree.

I'm sure lots of teams have written about lots of decisions but why Celtic had to make it public is pathetically petty. They're either asking to have the officials disciplined (which is nothing to do with them) or they were looking to get Meekings banned.

It was neither but don't let that get in the way of you spouting ill informed pish. As per.

It was neither but don't let that get in the way of you spouting ill informed pish. As per.

Don't think they were looking for Meekings to be punished but think they are looking for refs to be held accountable for their mistakes (not necessarily McLean). If a player is making mistakes week-in week-out, he is dropped from the team. If a "top official" makes horrendous mistakes in every top flight match in Scotland, he doesn't get demoted to the Championship, League One etc. In some cases, they get a bigger game (i.e. Willie Collum refereeing Monaco v Juventus tonight). They've went about it the wrong way though.

Don't think they were looking for Meekings to be punished but think they are looking for refs to be held accountable for their mistakes (not necessarily McLean). If a player is making mistakes week-in week-out, he is dropped from the team. If a "top official" makes horrendous mistakes in every top flight match in Scotland, he doesn't get demoted to the Championship, League One etc. In some cases, they get a bigger game (i.e. Willie Collum refereeing Monaco v Juventus tonight). They've went about it the wrong way though.

So why condemn it now?

Why not come out earlier in the season and say about the errors that have went in their favour over the course of the season?

So why condemn it now?

Why not come out earlier in the season and say about the errors that have went in their favour over the course of the season?

Exactly! Only comes to the forefront when it happens to them.

Not openly, but are you telling me that Celtic didn't have an ulterior motive?

They aren't going to get a sensible answer from the SFA and they know it.

How naive are you?