Series Worth Watching - Page 106 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 4/22/2024 at 9:23 AM, Bobster said:

Just finished Ripley and enjoyed it. Thought parts in a couple of episodes dragged a bit (the cleaning of the stairs for example) but good overall.

Think I've still only seen one other person mention Slow Horses. That's well worth a watch, decent soundtrack too.

i watched Slow Horses Season 1 on Apple Tv ; even though its right up my street , i found it a bit unbelievable  - when i don't think that was the idea ; it was almost a mash up of various other shows I've seen over the years

maybe Gary Oldman stuck in my head being Smiley in the Tinker, Tailor film of few years back ; which i really enjoyed

James Bond on Werthers .....

On 4/6/2024 at 11:07 AM, TDYER63 said:

Watched Deadloch on Prime after being recommended . Its a bizarre comedy whodunnit set in a fictional town in Tasmania. I found it funny , it wont be everyones cup of tea though and there is a lot of swearing but I found it funny rather than offensive. I wasn’t sure at first but glad I kept going with it. 

Tidy, we've just finished this after the above recommendation.

What a phukkin hoot 

Hilarious, bonkers and Aussie as a kangaroo throwing a boomerang while playing a didgeridoo snd eating a vegimite sandwich with a can of fosters in its pouch.

What a great show.👍👍👍👍👍

Aye, it's sweary, but everything was brilliant, 

Even the place names, lake Deadloch, valley Glenvalley, mount benmountain is taking the piss 

Everyone played their part so well.

Cath, FFS hilarious 

Eddie,what a hoot 

I and my missus highly recommend 

15 hours ago, stocky said:

Tidy, we've just finished this after the above recommendation.

What a phukkin hoot 

Hilarious, bonkers and Aussie as a kangaroo throwing a boomerang while playing a didgeridoo snd eating a vegimite sandwich with a can of fosters in its pouch.

What a great show.👍👍👍👍👍

Aye, it's sweary, but everything was brilliant, 

Even the place names, lake Deadloch, valley Glenvalley, mount benmountain is taking the piss 

Everyone played their part so well.

Cath, FFS hilarious 

Eddie,what a hoot 

I and my missus highly recommend 

Glad you and your good lady liked it Stocky 😊 You can thank Bobster, he put me onto it. 
It was funny , although Cath actually got on my nerves ! I was mad that Gavin died in the first episode he made me laugh.

I mentioned to someone else that the show totally changed my opinion of the word ‘cunt ‘ 😆 I really hate that word and only use it in exceptional circumstances ( see Andrew Neil…) but I found the regular use of  ‘rat cunt’ quite funny, to the point I now kinda think of it along the lines of ‘wee shite’ 😆

I am watching Baby Reindeer just now and not really getting the hype, though the latest episode was a bit better. 

Got a 6 month deal with Now Tv for £4.99 a month so gone back to Curb Your Enthusiasm which I love. Also been watching Frasier , its the first time since I watched it when it was out. It hasn’t disappointed me. 

Watching The Dropout and not really sure if I'm enjoying it or not although I will say Amanda Seyfried is doing a brilliant job of making the lead character incredibly unlikeable.  In fact, the more I think about it I'm not sure any of the characters are likeable!

I'm probably late on this. Just finished watching The Americans on Channel 4 catch up.

We'd watched the first two series when it came out then, iirc, it was no longer shown on the usual channel. I was delighted to see the remaining four series.

It's obviously not a documentary about Soviet spies, it's entertainment, it has it's 'jumping the shark' situations but it's very well crafted, excellent acting and good scripts. 

Also it has a degree of nuance, and empathy with Russian characters, that would have been unthinkable when I was growing up in the 80s.

The added poignancy, looking back at the end of the Cold War is thinking about the wasted opportunity and how it's been squandered.

On 3/31/2024 at 3:07 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Just to add The World at War was released before Bletchley Park was declassified and well before the fall of the Soviet Union let their archives be released

What is interesting is that Claude Lanzmann released his film Shoah in 1985 after 11 years of research, also before the Russian archives became available, yet everything in it was confirmed when they were

It is hard going and the actual film is over 9 hours long - with hundreds of hours of film that did not make it into the movie available in the Holocaust Museum archives

It is available on Youtube with English subtitles

When you ask people what they know of the Holocaust the majority will say Auschwitz and Gas Chambers

A large number have never heard of Belzec, Chelmno, Sobibor, Treblinka & Majdanek along with the thousands of other mass killing sites

His film does not include any archive footage - only interviews with victims, perpetrators and bystanders along with footage of the sites in the 70s

The Polish peasant farmers that still live near Treblinka gives you a chill - as you realise they are lying their tits off about how they reacted at the time

image.thumb.jpeg.0cac1d43619eec216cea76415aca74fb.jpeg

image.jpeg.ee32c8e970182670afaa1dc6c43ca0cd.jpeg

When I was fucked with my broken knee I watched so much ww2 and holocaust stuff along with reading a load. Will need to give this a bash.

Loved Band of Brothers and read the book as I watched it which was interesting in itself.

On 4/16/2024 at 9:44 AM, Fairbairn said:

Watched 3 episodes (of 7) of Baby Reindeer on Netflix last night.  It's based on the true story of a Scottish comedian who was stalked by a woman down in London.  The guy it's based on plays the lead role as a version of himself and it's been  brilliant if very uncomfortable in places so far.  The actress the plays the stalker is unbelievably good in it.  Everything I've read has said episode 4 is one of the most uncomfortable episodes of any TV show in years so looking forward to that at lunch time!

*Alexa, show me an example of someone not reading the post above.....🙄

Just started this and watched 3 episodes. It's mental. He doesn't help himself at all but she's a psycho. I see she's been named in public now as Fiona Harvey, Swatch her FB to confirm she's nuts. She's going on some TV show soon to clear her name, she's saying it's all made up.

On 4/17/2024 at 1:30 PM, EddardStark said:

Just finished  watching The Wire. Watched it many years ago. A superb drama. Enjoying watching Ripley at the moment and the guy playing the lead role is very unlikeable so it probably excellent acting. 

The wire is tremendous. I keep saying I'll go back and watch it through again. Same with Boardwalk Empire, loved it when it was originally out.

Enjoyed the latest Inside Number 9 tonight. 

As others have mentioned, back watching The Wire again (an ongoing habit of rewatching the favourites). A few episodes into second season now. Find it more affecting with repeat viewings - not sure if it's because you know what's coming or you feel a bit more attached to the characters somehow...Was even a bit tearful at the Kima then Wallace episodes near end of S1. 

1 hour ago, StirlingEgg said:

Enjoyed the latest Inside Number 9 tonight. 

I thought it was rubbage

There are always a couple of classics in each series though

11 hours ago, Kirk said:

When I was fucked with my broken knee I watched so much ww2 and holocaust stuff along with reading a load. Will need to give this a bash.

Loved Band of Brothers and read the book as I watched it which was interesting in itself.

Just started this and watched 3 episodes. It's mental. He doesn't help himself at all but she's a psycho. I see she's been named in public now as Fiona Harvey, Swatch her FB to confirm she's nuts. She's going on some TV show soon to clear her name, she's saying it's all made up.

The wire is tremendous. I keep saying I'll go back and watch it through again. Same with Boardwalk Empire, loved it when it was originally out.

If she is as mentally ill as she is being made out to be, I don't think its wise for her to be on TV. No surprise its Piers CUNT Morgan who is getting her on TV

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I thought it was rubbage

There are always a couple of classics in each series though

Thought the ending wasn't as good as the buildup but all the characters were good current stereotypes! I love their stuff, League of Gentlemen and Psychoville etc. 

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

If she is as mentally ill as she is being made out to be, I don't think its wise for her to be on TV. No surprise its Piers CUNT Morgan who is getting her on TV

Her posts do seem a bit OTT spelling etc matches the stuff from the show. Nah not a good idea at all, but hes the wanks wank

2 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

Thought the ending wasn't as good as the buildup but all the characters were good current stereotypes! I love their stuff, League of Gentlemen and Psychoville etc. 

Been into them right from the start - Alles Klar

Also been to see them live three times and the cinema to see the film although i was a bit jarred at that

Sometimes i think they just get too clever by half - as much as i enjoy it

7 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Also been to see them live three times and the cinema to see the film although i was a bit jarred at that

Have you been watching Steve Pemberton on taskmaster?

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Just been once to see the show and some poor guy from the audience was near molested by Herr Lipp 😊 

49 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Have you been watching Steve Pemberton on taskmaster?

I've not really got into Taskmaster though not seen many episodes to give it a chance tbf. 

6 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

I've not really got into Taskmaster though not seen many episodes to give it a chance tbf. 

I think Taskmaster is the funniest program on TV, you should give it a try.

13 hours ago, bonzo said:

Might do then thanks, I've heard the Bob Mortimer ones are good and I like him anyway so could look for those episodes. 

18 hours ago, bonzo said:

I agree it's a fantastic program but I think it might be starting to run out of steam a wee bit. When it first started it was easily the funniest thing on.

5 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

Might do then thanks, I've heard the Bob Mortimer ones are good and I like him anyway so could look for those episodes. 

He seems to be brilliant in anything he does. Who would have thought they could make a TV program about fishing unmissable? 

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

He seems to be brilliant in anything he does. Who would have thought they could make a TV program about fishing unmissable? 

😊It's a very warm and soothing show! Even when Paul Whitehouse gets crabbit if Bob starts to reel in the fish against his instructions. I've only seen the odd Would I Lie To You but when he's on it you can tell the other guests love listening to his nonsense. 

On 4/6/2024 at 11:07 AM, TDYER63 said:

Watched Deadloch on Prime after being recommended . Its a bizarre comedy whodunnit set in a fictional town in Tasmania. I found it funny , it wont be everyones cup of tea though and there is a lot of swearing but I found it funny rather than offensive. I wasn’t sure at first but glad I kept going with it. 

Tyder, if you find anymore like this get them on here, I binged this after watching the first episode and it was batshit crazy TV, It may not suit everyone but i was breath of fresh air TV, Loved it still laughing now.