Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread

Tartan blood

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We do not go from being a good team that qualified to a shite team in a few months thst much I am sure. Clarke's job is to sort out what has gone wrong and rectify it. I think there are a few factors in.play here.

For some time we had a very settled line-up and we became a well-drilled compact side getting good results and confidence built up. But over the last few months we have missed key players through injuries and that knocked us out of our stride and we never worked out a fix.

We have also resorted to a dangerous trait. Still selecting players out of form or not getting games for their club and it has cost us. I look at Patterson, Dykes and Cooper (but to be fair to him he did fine last night).

Too many players have got comfortable with the idea they are going to the Euros and have let their standards slip. Clarke should call-up some fresh faces in the next squad even if just to worry some players into raising their standards again.

We have had a run of games where, as we qualified with a couple of games to spare then had friendlies the competitive edge has been lackibg too. That needs to change also.

At present our chances of getting out of the group stages have diminished a lot given these issues we have and a severe lack of confidence that we must have now diminishes our chances even more.

Sticking Super john McGinn on the programme cover was a crass error, comparable to the 1978 send-off for Argentina. McGinn is not undroppable any more; he has hardly scored this season for his club and the last 2 matches he has been rotten, sending crosses out of play and shooting wildly. I'd give his spot to Ferguson.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No as I understand it he will nameva squad for those friendlies and then trim.it down after the matches for the Euro squad.

Ah right didn't realise that 👍

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Anyone not worried about our form or what’s coming out of Steve Clarke’s mouth is in denial.

He says he needed picked up by the players after Friday night & after last night he’s said it wasn’t our night and peaking now doesn’t matter it’s about peaking in June…

30 mins in last night we went 451 but we don’t have a single winger in the squad so we had no width or penetration. The ability to see issues and change things - I don’t see any of that in any of our last… 5-10 games.

The make up of the squad for June should have changed following these results; less Kenny McLeans & Greg Taylor’s & more Ryan Frasers & hopefully someone who can create, breakdown & be effective in the final 3rd ie Ryan Gauld potentially? Surely we try these guys in the next friendlies!

I am not in denial, not sure why you think anyone who disagrees with you is in denial. Clarke will be telling the players different things to what he tells the media and he will be backed by the captain and vice captain

we did go 451 and it worked to a certain extent, Patterson was in acres of space at least 5 times down the right wing. He did get any crosses into dangerous areas, he was clearly struggling last night. on another night he wouldve whipped is some great crosses. Tierney also found a lot of space down the left with armstrong

Fraser could make a difference, there several balls through to Patterson and two to Shankland which in my opinion were tailor made for Fraser. The question around him is whether Clarke believes Fraser will upset the team ethic within the squad

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I am not in denial, not sure why you think anyone who disagrees with you is in denial. Clarke will be telling the players different things to what he tells the media and he will be backed by the captain and vice captain

we did go 451 and it worked to a certain extent, Patterson was in acres of space at least 5 times down the right wing. He did get any crosses into dangerous areas, he was clearly struggling last night. on another night he wouldve whipped is some great crosses. Tierney also found a lot of space down the left with armstrong

Fraser could make a difference, there several balls through to Patterson and two to Shankland which in my opinion were tailor made for Fraser. The question around him is whether Clarke believes Fraser will upset the team ethic within the squad

Agree about Fraser - offers us pace and the ability to beat a man. Depressing as it is there were zero wingers with any speed in that squad.

Really scraping the barrel other than Fraser. Who else is there? Not particularly enamoured with the prospect of Burke, Wright, Morgan or Forrest being called up.

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

We badly needed a win last night for confidence reasons. Was Dykes the man to start for that? I'd argue no and I doubt Clarke would have started him had it been a competitive match. If we needed Dykes to press and harry a top team, then that's another matter though I'd still play Shankland. Clarke's loyalty is positive to create a team spirit but it'll also be his downfall in my opinion.

I don't know about 4ATB. NI don't have much of an attacking threat so I don't think we can say it definitely worked.

Are there not any Scottish RB's at championship level in England?  I just can't believe our choice (if Hickey unavailable) is someone not getting a game for Celtic or Everton's third choice.

If we presume the squad is what it is currently then Dykes has to be third choice. I'm 50/50 on Adams or Shankland. If Adams finishes the season in goalscoring positive form i would prefer him.

Your right the 4 at the back wasn't tested last night so we have no clue if we could get away with it in the summer.

Only championship potential call up right back would be Ross McCrorie , good hard working strong player but maybe not the best technically. He has recovered from a bad injury & is playing every week but think but it's too late for him to break into the squad. 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Anyone not worried about our form or what’s coming out of Steve Clarke’s mouth is in denial.

He says he needed picked up by the players after Friday night & after last night he’s said it wasn’t our night and peaking now doesn’t matter it’s about peaking in June…

30 mins in last night we went 451 but we don’t have a single winger in the squad so we had no width or penetration. The ability to see issues and change things - I don’t see any of that in any of our last… 5-10 games.

The make up of the squad for June should have changed following these results; less Kenny McLeans & Greg Taylor’s & more Ryan Frasers & hopefully someone who can create, breakdown & be effective in the final 3rd ie Ryan Gauld potentially? Surely we try these guys in the next friendlies!

It's too late for experimenting now, those chances Clarke has chosen to pass on even during friendlies! We all know he prefers the loyal core approach than a naturally evolving squad. 

There might still be a chance of a Fraser recall but Gauld no chance.

There is no getting away from the fact that momentum built up to qualifying for Euros has dissipated, I honestly thought we were a better team than what has followed since, went to Amsterdam despite defeat there were positives & good play, but results needed us to perform with a competitive edge last nite & it was a big failure & now very worrying…. it was horrendous…. N Ireland were well set up to be hard to break down & were not interested in playing football which is understandable, but vast majority of European teams would expect to comfortably beat them - we were clueless, even our best players like McGinn & McTominay were abject.  I really have the fear now….one awful nite at Hampden & then looking to my right & listen to a bunch of hate filled filth spouting their sectarian bile - it felt like a longer than usual journey home 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

🤣

I think the rule says "minimum of 3" so you never know?

Is 4 fairly standard across national team selections? Genuine question! Just wondered re tactics/thinking behind it; is it to address potential injury or different strengths like penalties?...

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

If we presume the squad is what it is currently then Dykes has to be third choice. I'm 50/50 on Adams or Shankland. If Adams finishes the season in goalscoring positive form i would prefer him.

Your right the 4 at the back wasn't tested last night so we have no clue if we could get away with it in the summer.

Only championship potential call up right back would be Ross McCrorie , good hard working strong player but maybe not the best technically. He has recovered from a bad injury & is playing every week but think but it's too late for him to break into the squad. 

That's a real worry. At the same time, we might end up with Hanley and Hickey coming back which I think will really improve us. I expect Souttar to just miss out in Germany as it seems to be between Hendry and Porteous for RCB with McKenna as cover for Tierney and Hanley in the centre (which McKenna can also cover). Cooper will be ahead of Souttar now.

17 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

Is 4 fairly standard across national team selections? Genuine question! Just wondered re tactics/thinking behind it; is it to address potential injury or different strengths like penalties?...

No, squads almost never have 4 keepers in them.

Last night we were crying out for someone to unlock their packed defence and on comes Kenny McLean.  I like McLean for shoring things up when it's going well but FFS, not when you're desperately trying to avoid a humiliating defeat to a team of youngsters.  Could Ryan Gauld have done this?  We'll never know.  Those players last night plus McGregor and Hickey - that's yer squad with a wee bit of whittling down.  And we'd better all pray that Hickey's back cos the thought of lining up to face Germany with NI's best player at RWB fills me with dread.

Too many of them playing like their places were guaranteed.  Would've loved to have seen some bone crunchers put in along with the "in yer face" attitude like that shown by NI last night.  There was a time a few of them would've gone 6 feet in the air for daring to do that at Hampden.

On another note... genuine question - did Dykes even touch the ball last night?  I know he had eff all service but I can't remember him being involved at all apart from the stretch to try and get to a pass cleared by the goalie.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Please not four goalies!

Picking the four this time seems like he's just leaving the potential awkward conversation with the one who drops out until June. There's no point in dropping e.g. Liam Kelly now, which would virtually signal that he isn't going to the Euros. Gunn/Gordon/Clark may get injured and then he never has to have the conversation with Kelly.

Jeez a heck of a lot of fuss being made over why four goalies in this squad? It is crystal clear. He wanted to see for himself where Craig Gordon is at fitness-wise and sharphess-wise and no doubt learnt far more watching him first hand in trainng. No big deal at all.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Jeez a heck of a lot of fuss being made over why four goalies in this squad? It is crystal clear. He wanted to see for himself where Craig Gordon is at fitness-wise and sharphess-wise and no doubt learnt far more watching him first hand in trainng. No big deal at all.

Och I was only asking! 🫤 That's fine re Gordon then. It was just in case it was standard practice but folk on here suggested the spaces could be better used for expanding our options in other positions. 

1 hour ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Agree about Fraser - offers us pace and the ability to beat a man. Depressing as it is there were zero wingers with any speed in that squad.

Really scraping the barrel other than Fraser. Who else is there? Not particularly enamoured with the prospect of Burke, Wright, Morgan or Forrest being called up.

My annoyance is we play friendlies and never try anything - the sum total of our experimentation last night was taking a bloke on who's doing mint in Serie A and giving Shankland 15 minutes.   

Patterson was having a honker but understandably wanted to keep him on - why not play him right wing second half and have a right back behind him?  Try the same with Robertson and Tierney next friendlies (and hopefully Hickey back) then the wide problem is fixed for 4-5-1 as an option. 

Instead we had 5 center midfielders just clogging up space last night. 

Why not chuck someone in from the u21s and all?  If they're shit nothing lost but if they have a good game it might help them break through at their club.   

5 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

Och I was only asking! 🫤 That's fine re Gordon then. It was just in case it was standard practice but folk on here suggested the spaces could be better used for expanding our options in other positions. 

No idea what squad size is allowed for friendlies but get the feeling it’s decided by the number of rooms available in the closest Travelodge. 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

15 hours ago, slasher said:

I didn’t go tonight, partly because they are horrific and make my blood boil and partly because I feel I’ve already spent enough on Scotland FC this year!

15 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Games against NI bring out the absolute dregs to the games.

Always a terrible atmosphere. Don’t know why we play them unless we are drawn with them in qualifying. 

J

I can categorically say I will never be back at another NI game. I thought the last one was maybe just a bad experience.
Was laughable right enough hearing them singing almost continuously about Scotland being  ‘ battered ‘ everywhere we go when they are up just 1-0 in a friendly yet we have qualified from the group for the Euros.

Kinda actually lends weight to the  ‘thick Irish’ title that is jokingly bestowed upon them 🙄

It would probably not have been so irritating if we had performed better but there is definitely a nasty side to their support. 

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and That analogy sums them up as Celtic and Rangers are renowned for the poison they bring to matches with bigotted and confrontational chants in a bid to solely aggravate people.

That sums up their support perfectly. They were more interested in aggravating. Their interest on the pitch was and is minimal given how much hope there is to be excited about on the pitch. 

What chants were aggravating:-

Everywhere they go Scotland get battered....confrontational

John McGinn what a w***er what a w***er....confrontational

Something along lines of Euros your having a laugh.....confrontational

Lots more today before we even get into the Rule Brittania and Dambusters pish. Wtf that has to do with Northern Ireland god knows.

They done a lot of singing but right now I cannot thing of one chant about their players or team even after they scored.

Detestable tossers. Worst bunch of nobody and no-hoper supporters to grace Hampden.

I'm not sure football matches are for you if your offended by any of that. 

9 minutes ago, Ak91 said:

I'm not sure football matches are for you if your offended by any of that. 

I go solely to international matches now. I have seen various visiting fans who have been loud and very supportive of their team and players without resorting to antagonistic pish or aggressive posturing. As I said earlier nastiest, confrontational, total arsehole nobody supporters I have witnessed with absolutely no national identity of their own.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry that won't wash away the fact the vast majority were Rangers fans. The clues were glaringly obvious:-

1. The 'Fuck thhe SFA ' chant. Only Rangers fans sing it.

2. The flags with Scottish place names on them.

3. The added boos to any Celtic or ex-Celtic players when teams were read out.

4. Even witnessed odd hand clapping when our players with Rangers connections were named ie Patterson, Gilmour and oddly enough even Shankland who Rangers are thought to be hot favourites to sign him.

5. Their songbook right out of Ibrox Park.

The evidence is irrefutable.

Yeah, you see and hear whatever suits you.

Anyhow, If I were you I'd be more worried about my own support - when they weren't booing they were deathly quiet, no?

4 minutes ago, AwayInAManger said:

Anyhow, If I were you I'd be more worried about my own support - when they weren't booing they were deathly quiet, no?

And if I were Gers Northern Irish I'd be more worried about when they'll next play in a major championship. No worries about our support. It is welcomed and loved around the world.

7 minutes ago, AwayInAManger said:

And no I don't. If you can bear it watch the game on iPlayer and listen for yourself. Fuck the SFA was the giveaway aside from booing of Scottish Celtic players and applauding the Ex Gers players.