Scotland V Norway - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Norway

Caledonian Craig

And so it is the last match of our qualifying campaign. Both us and Norway have a number of star players out and it is a match with no pressure on to get a win for either side. I hope that does not make for a lacklustre match and feel it is quite important for us to get back to winning ways tonight. End on a high and get back to winning ways to take momentum into the March friendlies and build-up to Euro24.

I really am not fussed what side we start with as long as we get the right result - a win.

Come on Scotland.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be in the minority here, but I'd revert to a back 5. Patterson as a true wing back is awesome. He'll have so much more freedom to get forward. 

Clark

Hendry Porteous McKenna

Patterson                                   Doig

Gilmour McGregor

McGinn        McTominay

Shankland

I'd like to see us try out some new strikers. Shankland is the one most deserving at the moment, but Brown, Stewart or Nisbet could stake a claim in future friendlies.

Not sure if Doig is ready, but he could be the long term replacement for Robbo, so might be worth giving him a runout.

Edited by Tartan blood

43 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And so it is the last match of our qualifying campaign. Both us and Norway have a number of star players out and it is a match with no pressure on to get a win for either side. I hope that does not make for a lacklustre match and feel it is quite important for us to get back to winning ways tonight. End on a high and get back to winning ways to take momentum into the March friendlies and build-up to Euro24.

I really am not fussed what side we start with as long as we get the right result - a win.

Come on Scotland.

I can't see a lacklustre match at all. With no pressure on us, why would Clarke not send us out to attack and dominate them? I'm not saying gung ho but it could be the most we ever see a Scotland side play without fear. Hopefully they're sent out to put on a show. 

Lovely going to Hampden for last game of a campaign with no stress!

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I might be in the minority here, but I'd revert to a back 5. Patterson as a true wing back is awesome. He'll have so much more freedom to get forward. 

Clark

Hendry Porteous McKenna

Gilmour McGregor

McGinn        McTominay

Shankland

I'd like to see us try out some new strikers. Shankland is the one most deserving at the moment, but Brown, Stewart or Nisbet could stake a claim in future friendlies.

Not sure if Doig is ready, but he could be the long term replacement for Robbo, so might be worth giving him a runout.

Swap Clark for Kelly and this is how I’d line it up too.

As for the result I’d love to see us give them a bit of a doing as the icing on the cake of this campaign. 

4 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Swap Clark for Kelly and this is how I’d line it up too.

As for the result I’d love to see us give them a bit of a doing as the icing on the cake of this campaign. 

I think it's quite likely that only one of Kelly or Clark will make it into the Euros squad. If Steve Clarke believes Zander is the better of the two, I think he should try and get him some more caps under his belt. But I'm not against giving Kelly a shot. Especially if the manager is unsure on who is better.

I think we actually gave Norway too much respect last time, on account of being fearful of Haaland. Then we saw what happened after he went off. We are a better team than them, and are at home. I think we'll win.

As far back as I can remember Scotland have never done well when there is nothing at stake and the opposition is deemed to be weakened. If we get a good win today and performance then that would tell me that we have truly turned a corner.

Would like to see Ferguson get a start as I think he is close to getting a goal - he made continual runs in to the box on Thursday - maybe at the expense of McGregor, with McGinn dropping a bit deeper as he does with his club.

And keep Clark in goal - we need out back-ups to get as many caps as possible.

“As far back as I can remember Scotland have never done well when there is nothing at stake and the opposition is deemed to be weakened.”

I can think of a couple of examples. We beat Croatia home and away under Strachan when they were top seeds in the group and we had nothing to play for. Also, the time we beat Bulgaria 1-0 away which meant Ireland qualified for their first ever tournament.

18 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Does winning not help getting into  pot 2 or has that chance gone?

Aye, if we by 2 goals we are in pot 2. But if you look at the pot 2 teams and the pot 3 teams, there isn't that much difference between them. They could give us a stinker of a draw no matter which pot we end up in.

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Clark

Hendry Porteous McKenna

Gilmour McGregor

McGinn        McTominay

Shankland

I’d swap Porteous and Hendry around, but otherwise happy with that. That said, McLean, Ferguson and Armstrong have strong claims for a start. Brown also looked good v France. 

59 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’d swap Porteous and Hendry around, but otherwise happy with that. That said, McLean, Ferguson and Armstrong have strong claims for a start. Brown also looked good v France. 

Yeah, a bit of a toss up between Porteous and Hendry for the RCB position. I'd be happy with either.

All the guys you mentioned you could justify starting. And I'd have no problem with it. But I personally think I'd go with as close to the starting 11 as we can, given quite a few first teamers are already missing. 

I do think Shankland deserves a start. We'll see if Clarke agrees.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

McCrorie 

Patterson

Hendry 

Porteous 

McKenna

Doig

Gilmour

McGregor

McGinn 

McTominay

Shankland

That would be the 11 for me for tonight 

McCrorie? Really?

I’m a Hearts fan and I’d agree that Clark, though a solid keeper, isn’t really international calibre. Kelly is pretty much the same. But when did McCrorie last play a first team game?

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A bit daft having the kick-off at 7.45 on a Sunday. I would imagine though this it Spain's choosing as they are top seeds and all last fixtures must kick-off at the same time.

I’m pretty sure it’s all done by computer these days. I don’t think any team gets to choose their kick off times. It’s all done for TV. 

Porteous Hendry McKenna 

Patterson.                   Doig   

Ferguson.   Gilmour/MacGregor

McTominay         McGinn

Shankland/Dykes

I’d like to see Gilmour and MacGregor get 45 minutes each, similarly with Shankland and Dykes. I’d probably start with MacGregor and Dykes 1st half, then give Gilmour and Shankland the 2nd.

If I’m being honest I’m still not convinced about the Gilmour - MacGregor partnership in central midfield. I’m thinking that it’s one or the other and a more physical, athletic midfielder type beside them. I’d love to see Hickey tried in there and it was interesting to see Leon King play a similar role for the u21’s. 

Got to say, even with all the call offs, that’s a pretty decent starting 11

Edited by Scot1

Yes, surely Ferguson will get a start and I'd play Shankland as well. 

There's been quite a few players who've turned up for squad after squad and not got a run so this is a good chance to give them a chance to show if they can do anything in a competitive match.

Norway are quite an average side and with their 2 best players (by a mile) missing, we really should have nothing to fear from them so let's get on the front foot from kick off.

11 minutes ago, runningtings said:

I'd give McGinn a rest and play Ferguson instead. I'd also go back to a back 5 seeing as we are weak in the full back area.

The idea of playing McCrorie is laughable frankly.

Again, maybe play McGinn for the 1st half, then rest him and play Christie. Like the poster above mentions, if Norway are missing Haaland and Odegaard, Sorloth etc. It sounds like they are there for the taking. Try blitz them with our strongest 11 in the 1st half. Then make some changes when we have a comfortable lead 👀

3 hours ago, Yr Alban said:

McCrorie? Really?

I’m a Hearts fan and I’d agree that Clark, though a solid keeper, isn’t really international calibre. Kelly is pretty much the same. But when did McCrorie last play a first team game?

Yep McCrorie is the best keeper in the squad IMO