Scotland V Norway - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Norway

Caledonian Craig

On 11/20/2023 at 10:40 PM, Kirk said:

The atmosphere at Hampden has been shite for 10 year at least

Its not shite at every game. I agree with people who say the crowd will be heard if they get something to cheer about but it cant be end to end stuff constantly .

Its not really a biggie but I felt the team were worthy of more than they got on Sunday given it was their final game. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Its not shite at every game. I agree with people who say the crowd will be heard if they get something to cheer about but it cant be end to end stuff constantly .

Its not really a biggie but I felt the team were worthy of more than they got on Sunday given it was their final game. 

It's not great though. The severe lack of songs doesn't help. We sit quiet for long periods of time, the odd song (same ones we have had for 25 year) then more silence and a wee bit of cheering when something happens.

I didn't make it on Sunday but it sounded very flat from the tv

I think the atmosphere is partly to do with the style of play. Scotland play a passing game and patiently wait for the opening or counter attack. It's Clarkes style 

That's not a criticism, I actually like the way we play but for spells there can feel like not much is happening 

Hampden needs a family section. Too many really young kids mixed in with the main body of support. Arguments about standing up too much, having to whisper to your mates what you really think of an opposing player when he dives, etc. 

Edited by Och Aye

27 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Hampden needs a family section. Too many really young kids mixed in with the main body of support. Arguments about standing up too much, having to whisper to your mates what you really think of an opposing player when he dives, etc. 

Come to the North Stand. Everyone standing, singing and those with kids there actually understand that you stand at the football (stand on a chair if you are too short) and might hear a bit of the blue talk.

For me, as a general rule:

East Stand - Families

South Stand - People who appreciate a good view without getting wrapped up in the cesspit of the North stand, generally all sitting down

North Stand - Everyone standing and singing, albeit maybe taking it a bit too far, quite a lot of people taking in drink etc. Doesn't bother me but I understand it's not to everyone's enjoyment

West Stand - Generally a bit of a hybrid between North and East stand atmosphere

5 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Come to the North Stand. Everyone standing, singing and those with kids there actually understand that you stand at the football (stand on a chair if you are too short) and might hear a bit of the blue talk.

For me, as a general rule:

East Stand - Families

South Stand - People who appreciate a good view without getting wrapped up in the cesspit of the North stand, generally all sitting down

North Stand - Everyone standing and singing, albeit maybe taking it a bit too far, quite a lot of people taking in drink etc. Doesn't bother me but I understand it's not to everyone's enjoyment

West Stand - Generally a bit of a hybrid between North and East stand atmosphere

This is pretty much my experience although the main "singing section" always seems to be right at the corner of west and north stand. I wonder if thats where some supporters clubs get there tickets.

I was North stand for years but last couple of campaigns ive moved to south. Actually like sitting and taking abit more of a relaxed attitude now but theres not singing etc 

19 hours ago, Kirk said:

It's not great though. The severe lack of songs doesn't help. We sit quiet for long periods of time, the odd song (same ones we have had for 25 year) then more silence and a wee bit of cheering when something happens.

I didn't make it on Sunday but it sounded very flat from the tv

Dont disagree at all. There have been games though that the atmosphere has been great the whole game. Infact I remember not that long ago going to a meaningless midweek game with half a stadium and it was great. 

There was plenty of interest in the game around me, its not like folk were  constantly on phones or chatting, and I suppose watching the game is what they are actually there for ! Just felt that there could have been more of a party atmosphere given the occasion. 

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I think the atmosphere is partly to do with the style of play. Scotland play a passing game and patiently wait for the opening or counter attack. It's Clarkes style 

That's not a criticism, I actually like the way we play but for spells there can feel like not much is happening 

Thats a fair point in general re the stop/ start atmosphere. 

38 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I was North stand for years but last couple of campaigns ive moved to south. Actually like sitting and taking abit more of a relaxed attitude now but theres not singing etc 

We have actually been considering taking things a bit more low key in future years rather than going absolutely mad for it both home and away trips. It definitely isn't sustainable longer term

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

We have actually been considering taking things a bit more low key in future years rather than going absolutely mad for it both home and away trips. It definitely isn't sustainable longer term

In terms of purely watching the game ive found south stand upper to be really good.

For many years home games used to be kilt, pub etc but last few since ive had kids its been drive and straight to the game. 

Its not better or worse, just different although I defo dont add to the atmosphere anymore

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

In terms of purely watching the game ive found south stand upper to be really good.

For many years home games used to be kilt, pub etc but last few since ive had kids its been drive and straight to the game. 

Its not better or worse, just different although I defo dont add to the atmosphere anymore

I'll keep it going for you in the meantime ;)