Future Striker - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Future Striker

JandC

2 hours ago, stitch said:

Not a bad interview, I wonder how long he will stay as a coach? He did mention that he wants to go back over there. 

It would be nice to know who the players are from the MLS with a Scottish connection. Does anyone know who he was talking about 

Jack Elliot is the one that’s been spoken about a bit before. 

Cameron Harper maybe? He’d be absolutely miles away from our squad though.  

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Stumbled across this interview with John Carver on youtube that i thought was interesting.

He says "we're searching every nook and cranny for a striker". He also says Ryan Gauld is still "on the radar".

Video should start at the appropriate bit:

Well he more or less had to say that based on the question and the context of the interview. I’d be very surprised if he was suddenly called up now given that he hasn’t been called up before now

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

He was, but I meant he wasn't that great for Scotland. Decent but not great. He would walk into the team we have now, though. 

I was talking about in comparison to McBurnie who is neither.  

Edited by aaid

9 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

In the 3 seasons he hasn't got above I goal he started 5,9 and 11 games and 2 of those seasons were in the EPL. 

No one has said he should start ahead of Dykes or Adams, but if you think he is behind Shankland, Nisbet and Brown you are totally clueless. 

Jury is still out as regards Stewart. 

Steve Clarke thinks McBurnie is behind all of the strikers listed there. Don’t think he’s totally clueless…

41 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Ryan One got on the pitch in the EPL today at 17. More of a left wing forward when he was in Scotland (not sure how Sheffield United see him nor what position he came on in) but another promising step for a potential striker

Hadn’t really been aware of him since he’s been mentioned on here. Just watched some grainy YouTube footage of him at Hamilton and he’s fantastically built for 17, also appears to be quite 2 footed ?And pacey. Endless potential it seems but still miles to go obvs but def one to watch now.  Also I see he is the son of an ex pro Frenchman, is the mother Scottish ? 

16 hours ago, JECK said:

Hadn’t really been aware of him since he’s been mentioned on here. Just watched some grainy YouTube footage of him at Hamilton and he’s fantastically built for 17, also appears to be quite 2 footed ?And pacey. Endless potential it seems but still miles to go obvs but def one to watch now.  Also I see he is the son of an ex pro Frenchman, is the mother Scottish ? 

Yeah, his dad Armand played here. Given he grew up here either his mum is Scottish or both parents are non-Scottish but settled here after his dad’s career. Either way he has only ever lived in Scotland and hopefully feels Scottish as a result. There is also the reality that France pumps out excellent strikers by the dozen on a near annual basis, we don’t have to worry too much about his dual eligibility I think!

Not sure if mentioned but Keiron Bowie at Northampton on loan from Fulham looked like he was banging a few in for the U21s recently.

Conway I've heard good things about. I suppose Doak is also the elephant in the room but I suppose that is off topic given he's not a true centre forward.

Although Dykes and Adams suit our system very well it is one area we still haven't really developed on as the squad has improved in terms of average standard. Arguably none of our strikers really are above English Championship standard, and aren't particularly clinical, especially Adams.

Hopefully someone can kick through and be better. It is dangerous relying on midfielders for most of our goals,

12 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Not sure if mentioned but Keiron Bowie at Northampton on loan from Fulham looked like he was banging a few in for the U21s recently.

Conway I've heard good things about. I suppose Doak is also the elephant in the room but I suppose that is off topic given he's not a true centre forward.

Although Dykes and Adams suit our system very well it is one area we still haven't really developed on as the squad has improved in terms of average standard. Arguably none of our strikers really are above English Championship standard, and aren't particularly clinical, especially Adams.

Hopefully someone can kick through and be better. It is dangerous relying on midfielders for most of our goals,

It is but at the same time it kinda suits us to not have a decent striker.  The style of football we're playing right now is probably the most pleasing on the eye in my 40 years of watching us.

Would that be compromised by having a proper good striker?  I feel we'd perhaps end up desperate to get the ball to someone like that and end up ultimately bypassing the best thing about us, our midfield.   Look at Norway, they have the best striker in the world and ultimately couldn't usurp us 🤔

9 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Yeah, his dad Armand played here. Given he grew up here either his mum is Scottish or both parents are non-Scottish but settled here after his dad’s career. Either way he has only ever lived in Scotland and hopefully feels Scottish as a result. There is also the reality that France pumps out excellent strikers by the dozen on a near annual basis, we don’t have to worry too much about his dual eligibility I think!

Born here, and been capped at youth level by Scotland.

Like you say, he'd have to believe he was really, really something special to harbour serious ambitions of making the France team, or be as patriotically French as de Gaulle!

13 hours ago, todd said:

It is but at the same time it kinda suits us to not have a decent striker.  The style of football we're playing right now is probably the most pleasing on the eye in my 40 years of watching us.

Would that be compromised by having a proper good striker?  I feel we'd perhaps end up desperate to get the ball to someone like that and end up ultimately bypassing the best thing about us, our midfield.   Look at Norway, they have the best striker in the world and ultimately couldn't usurp us 🤔

I'm actually in agreement to be fair. It's just hard to justify saying that we don't wish we had better strikers :D

On 10/28/2023 at 10:27 PM, syecosse said:

Ones step up is impressive not so long ago coming off the bench for Hamilton in league 1 now the premiership in the Prem. At 17.

Michael Mellon 9 goals in 13 games on loan from Burnley at 19. Is also very good. 

These 2 along with Rory Wilson are probably our best teenage hopes for finding that future elusive class striker.

Ryan One seems to have a lot of attributes, strength, speed & size as well as good technique & he is only 17. I'm pretty excited to watch his progress.

There's a few comments about Mellon on the Morecambe & Burnley forums, he had a bad leg fracture a couple of years ago so that's obviously delayed his progress but he is highly rated by both clubs. Here's his hat rick from the weekend.

On 10/29/2023 at 9:31 PM, todd said:

The problem with this is that, by virtue of their position, chances or half strikers are still going to fall to our strikers and it relies on them being unselfish players which is kind of difficult for a striker. Dykes fits this role better than Adams in my opinion.

U21s squad announced attacking options ain't bad, Doak, Conway, Mebude, Ure, Mellon, Lowry, Lawrence and Bowie on paper looks good, most doing well in respective leagues and getting first team appearances. 

Johnstone and Doig also in the u21s so not in the first as cover. 

45 minutes ago, syecosse said:

U21s squad announced attacking options ain't bad, Doak, Conway, Mebude, Ure, Mellon, Lowry, Lawrence and Bowie on paper looks good, most doing well in respective leagues and getting first team appearances. 

Johnstone and Doig also in the u21s so not in the first as cover. 

Yeh those look pretty good attacking options there though Mebude hasn't even made the bench for nearly 2 months for Westerlo do you know if he has been injured ? If not it might be a slight worry if he isn't ready for that level yet. His brothers career faded pretty fast but I always felt Dire was going to be considerably better.

24 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh those look pretty good attacking options there though Mebude hasn't even made the bench for nearly 2 months for Westerlo do you know if he has been injured ? If not it might be a slight worry if he isn't ready for that level yet. His brothers career faded pretty fast but I always felt Dire was going to be considerably better.

It looks like Mebude is injured, hopefully he’s back playing soon and shows the form / skills he is capable of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿IMG_3589.thumb.jpeg.9db38830fe6f37b04f12ca08a1be94ab.jpeg

2 hours ago, broraboy said:

It looks like Mebude is injured, hopefully he’s back playing soon and shows the form / skills he is capable of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿IMG_3589.thumb.jpeg.9db38830fe6f37b04f12ca08a1be94ab.jpeg

That's good news then we can still dream that with him & Doak we will have 2 world class game changers trying to get in our first team maybe even by next summer🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😆💪

On 11/7/2023 at 7:47 PM, Super_Scotlandfan said:

No Dembele in the under 21 squad. His form is good enough to be called up so potentially isn’t available to be selected. 

Is it? Which of the forward players in the squad would he replace? He's had what, 300 minutes in League 1 (the English one, he got almost zero time in the French one). He's predominantly a right winger - he's up against Doak (not sure that needs further comment) and Mebude for the right wing slot. Mebude is well integrated into the squad and potentially has a higher ceiling so I wouldn't be keen on that swap. 

I expect he hasn't been selected because he isn't good enough to make the squad. Had he been continually involved over the years perhaps he would have, but he chose not to be so isn't.

3 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Is it? Which of the forward players in the squad would he replace? He's had what, 300 minutes in League 1 (the English one, he got almost zero time in the French one). He's predominantly a right winger - he's up against Doak (not sure that needs further comment) and Mebude for the right wing slot. Mebude is well integrated into the squad and potentially has a higher ceiling so I wouldn't be keen on that swap. 

I expect he hasn't been selected because he isn't good enough to make the squad. Had he been continually involved over the years perhaps he would have, but he chose not to be so isn't.

He’s in good form now scored a screamer the other day. Well worth an under 21 place if he’s interested. 

8 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Mebude hasn’t played since august, has been injured and had only started in one 45min half for his club who I assume are similar quality to Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts. So I was surprised to see him. 

Not sure where Emilio Lawrence plays but he’s only 18, still eligible for the under 19s, hasn’t played any senior football or for our under 21s. Not sure why he’s involved unless very good. I’m guessing he’s a central striker. 

Bowie hasn’t scored in the same league as Dembele. Not saying he should be dropped but shows the level we’re picking from. 

Dembele’s 3 goals and assist for Blackpool does seem like he would have got a call up if he hadn’t changed allegiance 4 years ago.