Future Striker - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Future Striker

JandC

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Well we've player McTominay in just about every other position on the park. Why not try him as a striker? (I'm only half joking)

Not the worst idea, especially if Lewis Ferguson continues to improve or move to Milan or Juventus. Put Ferguson in and move McTominay to CF. I think McTominay played as a striker as a youth.

7 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Surely a call up for McBurnie cannae be far away? 

Dykes is a championship player and it doesn't look like he'll ever be anything more than a championship player. There were rumours of an Adams transfer to an EPL club when Southampton got relegated but nothing materialised.

We now have two EPL forwards one of whom gets in the squad but usually gets no game time and the other who seems to be treated as  bit of a joke round these parts. Although they're playing at clubs who'll probably both go down, McBurnie seems to be holding his own and Brown did well the other night against France. Surely, the fact they're regularly playing against EPL defenders should give Clarke pause for thought? 

28 minutes ago, Yr Alban said:

It might be worth giving McBurnie another shot at some point, but he had a pretty poor attitude and a worse scoring record when he played for us before.

Stop it please 

He had more than his fair chance imo - I once thought he deserved a chance but not now !! 

To answer the post - going fwd for USA 2026, Rory Wilson + Dire Mebude 

2 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

He's grown up a lot since then and has fewer problems off the park.  With the famous video aside, what exactly is it about him that means he doesn't deserve another chance?

He hasn't scored for Scotland and that in some people's eyes makes Shankland and Nisbet better players. 

After all l the talk about Adams being a cert to stay in the epl after Southampton got relegated,ill take bets that McBurnie will

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He hasn't scored for Scotland and that in some people's eyes makes Shankland and Nisbet better players. 

After all l the talk about Adams being a cert to stay in the epl after Southampton got relegated,ill take bets that McBurnie will

It's just silly unless he's a disruptive influence around the camp in which case I understand. Most of his caps came when we were a significantly worse team, too. 

We played against France apparently to 'test ourselves' against a top team. Dykes and Adams aren't testing themselves against top teams in the championship but McBurnie is.

Imo McBurnie is a better player than Nisbett and probably Shankland. Stewart hasnt done anything to currently show that he is better.

People seem to dislike McBurnie for 2 reasons.

1) that he hasnt scored yet for us which in isolation I can understand however he has hit the woodwork a few times and also stepped up and scored a crucial penalty.

2) there was a video where he is heard saying going away with us is rubbish or words to that effect. Again in isolation that seems bad but when context is added its a nothing video. Its in a tunnell and is clearly abit of banter. If theres any doubt on that then all you would need to do is look at his commitment, he has turned up to squads such as the south american tour etc when most others didnt.

Personally I wouldnt have him in my next squad and I hope better strikers come through however he is in our top 5 strikers so he should still be in the mix / thoughts of Clarke. 

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

It's just silly unless he's a disruptive influence around the camp in which case I understand. Most of his caps came when we were a significantly worse team, too. 

We played against France apparently to 'test ourselves' against a top team. Dykes and Adams aren't testing themselves against top teams in the championship but McBurnie is.

Dykes and adams have done relatively well for scotland and Adams has proven himself in the epl.

Mcburnie hasn't played well for Scotland and he hasn't really proved himself as an established epl player. He's very much an English championship standard player which is fine but I think our other strikers who are around that level deserve a chance before him.

If mcburnie goes on a decent goalscoring run this season then he deserves a shot in the squad again but until that happens I would rather give ppl like shankland and Stewart a chance.

5 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

The door should never be shut on anyone unless, as you say, they bring a bad aura to camps. I wonder what Ryan Fraser is like in camp. He's obviously made numerous questionable decisions, but I wouldn't necessarily discard him, assuming he doesn't interfere with the group dynamic. 

Especially in the striker department, any player is one good half season away from being thrown right into the deep end. McBurnie seems to be playing well, but he's not exactly scoring barrel loads. Jacob Brown is  in similar form in the EPL and is currently at the front of the queue. Deservedly.

If any of Nisbet, Hardie or Stewart go on a scoring spree in the Championship, they'll be called up and probably given some starts.

We're currently a very good team, with 1 prolific striker away from being a great team.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Dykes and adams have done relatively well for scotland and Adams has proven himself in the epl.

Mcburnie hasn't played well for Scotland and he hasn't really proved himself as an established epl player. He's very much an English championship standard player which is fine but I think our other strikers who are around that level deserve a chance before him.

If mcburnie goes on a decent goalscoring run this season then he deserves a shot in the squad again but until that happens I would rather give ppl like shankland and Stewart a chance.

McBurnie wont go on a scoring spree while playing in the EPL for such a poor outfit as Sheff United that's for sure but as currently all our other centre forwards( Brown is not a centre forward) are playing at a lower level that shouldn't be the divining factor. It could be Clarke finds he isn't a good fit in the dressing room but I doubt there's anything in that. 

We shouldn't forget how good in the air he is in his own box, if he was brought back he would arguably be our best defender at set pieces.

I think he just needs to lead the line well at club level, stay fit & chip in with a few EPL goals ,maybe 4 or 5 preferably from open play & he should be close to a recall come our games in the spring.

2 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

McBurnie wont go on a scoring spree while playing in the EPL for such a poor outfit as Sheff United that's for sure but as currently all our other centre forwards( Brown is not a centre forward) are playing at a lower level that shouldn't be the divining factor. It could be Clarke finds he isn't a good fit in the dressing room but I doubt there's anything in that. 

We shouldn't forget how good in the air he is in his own box, if he was brought back he would arguably be our best defender at set pieces.

I think he just needs to lead the line well at club level, stay fit & chip in with a few EPL goals ,maybe 4 or 5 preferably from open play & he should be close to a recall come our games in the spring.

The argument that he's good at defending set pieces shouldn't carry much weight imo. He's a striker and should be judged on his ability to score and assist as well as lead the line in terms of holding the ball up etc.

I would agree that he probably won't go on much of a run in terms of scoring for such a poor side but his form in the championship has been hit or miss over the years and his performances for Scotland were really poor.

Saying that if we have a few injuries and he scores a few goals in the epl this season then I don't see why he shouldnt get another shot but it would be a case of giving him limited chances until he proves himself.

34 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The argument that he's good at defending set pieces shouldn't carry much weight imo. He's a striker and should be judged on his ability to score and assist as well as lead the line in terms of holding the ball up etc.

I would agree that he probably won't go on much of a run in terms of scoring for such a poor side but his form in the championship has been hit or miss over the years and his performances for Scotland were really poor.

Saying that if we have a few injuries and he scores a few goals in the epl this season then I don't see why he shouldnt get another shot but it would be a case of giving him limited chances until he proves himself.

I actually think it’s about the best argument I’ve heard in favour of McBurnie. We’ve looked a bit shite at defending set pieces recently. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always thought McBurnie’s pretty much horseshit (but open to proven wrong, it’s happened many times before!) but maybe it’s an aspect to his game that the team could actually do with.

By the way, still wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole 😂

Edited by breeks_mctavish

5 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I actually think it’s about the best argument I’ve heard in favour of McBurnie. We’ve looked a bit shite at defending set pieces recently. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always thought McBurnie’s pretty much horseshit (but open to proven wrong, it’s happened many times before!) but maybe it’s an aspect to his game that the team could actually do with

It's not exactly a strong argument for including him. Our whole team should always be well drilled in defending set pieces no matter who's starting or in the squad.

If we are needing mcburnie in to do that specifically then that's not a good sign.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's not exactly a strong argument for including him. Our whole team should always be well drilled in defending set pieces no matter who's starting or in the squad.

If we are needing mcburnie in to do that specifically then that's not a good sign.

No totally! I edited my message too late. I wouldn’t have him in either!

But I could maybe understand the argument a bit more if he’s a squad player to bring on to help see out a result

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He's had one bad season in the Championship so hardly hit or miss and he wasn't fully fit for any more than two weeks at a time during his poor season.

No idea what Sheffield United are doing to their players but their supporters thought that McBurnie should have been taken of after 20 minutes when it looked like his groin problem had flared up again.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmm so playing in the EPL is an automatic card into our squad? Not a chance. International form is far more important and the options the have in the squad kill McBurnie on that front.

I know that McBurnie is a big lad but I'd go for Dykes any day. Not just on pass form for us but the level of physicality he brings to the game, he's better in the air than McBurnie and is the type of striker that international defenders don't normally come up against.