Scotland v England - Match Thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v England - Match Thread

romanticscot

54 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Ack well we didnae drop any points, let's keep winning the competitive ones.

Same next month please. Beat/ draw Spain and who cares about France.

I think against France, we need to play a few of the fringe lads. We barely play any friendlies and as you say who cares, great experience for the likes of Ferguson, Nisbet, etc

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, todd said:

What? Specifically, can't be arsed. Enjoy your season against Celtic 

Aye, specifically...I found it difficult to disagree with anything he said.

On a night when none of our outfield players covered themselves in any glory (porteous had a reasonable match), we have halfwits having a go at Scottish media personalities for saying just that...bizarre stuff.

P.s. haven't a clue what your Celtic dig is all about 

9 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It's a little concerning how lethargic it was to be honest.  

I was expecting blood n thunder at least but barely got either.  Gaps between the lines were therefore gaping chasms where they took the piss.

No fucking way in an England game should they have time to touch it, turn and pass but it kept happening over and over

Very similar to the friendly against them after we had beaten the ROI a few years back.

I still feel dissappointed this morning. We'd all have takem it If someone had offered a win in Cyprus and a loss last night but it still frustrating to lose to our oldest rival. 

Now that the dust has settled I don't think England were that great, they didn't exactly pepper our goal and IMO they showed laspes in concentration which scotland did not capitalise on. Bellingham is but a smart defence trips him up for that 3rd goal and takes the booking....... and all of sudden there's only 1 goal in it. 

England were made to look great as our top players were missing, I don't know if they were tired or they bottled it but there wasn't enough or the same drive and energy in that team until Christie came on. 

Ah well, we are on a great position, a position we would all take pre qualification if offered it. 

Bring on 🇪🇸 

Something wasn't quite right last night as the intensity was nowhere near where it needed to be.  We had an extra day to prepare/rest, home crowd but being honest England could have scored as many as they wanted.  More worryingly i didn't see many of ours at full tilt to stop them.  The third goal is embarrassing really the time and space both Bellingham and Kane had.  

It reminded me of how pedestrian we looked first going to five at the back and the huge gap between the lines.

I've seen worse Scotland teams put in a far more competent performance against good teams whereas they were absolutely miles off it last night and didn't appear particularly bothered.

One to sweep under the rug and hope there isn't lingering side effects.

18 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

One thing I can take away is thank Christ we don't have Channel 4 doing our games. First the England fans had to put up with Matterface and miserable bastard Dixon and now this🤣

Agree with this. Joe Cole is just walking cliche machine and Jill Scott is more boring than Dixon. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I still feel dissappointed this morning. We'd all have takem it If someone had offered a win in Cyprus and a loss last night but it still frustrating to lose to our oldest rival. 

Now that the dust has settled I don't think England were that great, they didn't exactly pepper our goal and IMO they showed laspes in concentration which scotland did not capitalise on. Bellingham is but a smart defence trips him up for that 3rd goal and takes the booking....... and all of sudden there's only 1 goal in it. 

England were made to look great as our top players were missing, I don't know if they were tired or they bottled it but there wasn't enough or the same drive and energy in that team until Christie came on. 

Ah well, we are on a great position, a position we would all take pre qualification if offered it. 

Bring on 🇪🇸 

I can't disagree with much of that.

The stuff we normally do well we failed on last night. We never really got the Roberyson/Tierney pivot going. Seemed almost like it was a far more defensive role for Tierney last night. Cannot knock Foden's great feet for first goal but thete was luck to it as it was not a cross but a full blown shot that was heading well wide that he turned in. The second goal was a rare catastrophic schoolboy error from normally one of our most solid performers when Robertson laid it on a plate for Bellingham. Their third goal was quality but just needed as to be more forcefull in defending even if it meant a booking.

We may not like to admit it nut stats and results do not lie and Rngland are one.of the top sides in the world. You cannot put in a half-arsed performance against them and expect a result.

Bigger challenges/goals lie ahead. But Clarke and the team can learn from these mistakes and far better learning a lesson in a friendly than  a Euros match ot such-like.

8 hours ago, todd said:

This would be what we'd have to get used to if our games ended up on council tv, personally I'd gladly pay a subscription to avoid all that pish.  Fuckin love the partisan commentary and analysis from Viaplay, money well spent in my opinion

Got to admit I do like the viaplay coverage too, it's well ahead of what sky offers. Domestic channels like BBC, ITV and Channel 4 are all about England no matter who's playing on the night.

I'm in Italy, didn't watch the game. In the grand scheme of things I'm not that bothered. Three points against Cyprus was more important, as is getting the points to get us to Germany. 

England are a good side particularly in midfield and going forward so it's a bit of a reality check and that's never a bad thing.  Id rather lose a friendly (even against England) rather than a game that really mattered.

It was only a friendly. Hopefully we will have learned a few things from it.

We didn't get totally over-run by a team who are clearly better than us. We were still in the game until their 3rd goal went in. They only scored one good goal against us. The first was a deflection, Foden didn't even see the ball until it bounced off him and into the net. The second was just a total disaster from Robbo. What the fuk was he thinking about? Robbo has had his best spell for us recently but he was very poor last night. He made lots of mistakes but his two worst ones (apart from the goal) were when Tierney went bombing down the wing and Robbo fuked things up. Tierney is only going to make those runs a few times in each game, especially against top opposition. The players just simply have to make sure he gets the ball when he does that. If they don't, it's not only a lost attacking opportunity, but if we give the ball away we are very exposed at the back. Lesson number one for me is that when Tierney makes that run you have to give him the fukin ball. 

Angus Gunn is our number one keeper now, he is better than Craig Gordon.

I agree with everyone who is looking at this result realistically. How many games do England lose ? Yes, we didn’t play anywhere near as well as we could, and a rare big mistake by Robertson more or less put the game beyond reach,. Painful as it is. we need to remember how strong England are  ,    we are not at that level . 
I would much rather get a reality check against a top team in a friendly, though preferably not England, the team will now be well aware of the task ahead in Seville.  I am certain we will qualify in Georgia, and I agree with Malcolm , we will not embarrass ourselves either at the Euros.  

As far as McCoist goes, I lost most respect I had for him a while back. Its easy to seem an enthusiastic supporter of your country when they are winning, but you should look like it actually hurts when beaten and he fails miserably. And as far as his commentary goes, all his  ‘ i tell you what’ and repetitive phrases be uses becomes tedious after a while . 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It was only a friendly. Hopefully we will have learned a few things from it.

We didn't get totally over-run by a team who are clearly better than us. We were still in the game until their 3rd goal went in. They only scored one good goal against us. The first was a deflection, Foden didn't even see the ball until it bounced off him and into the net. The second was just a total disaster from Robbo. What the fuk was he thinking about? Robbo has had his best spell for us recently but he was very poor last night. He made lots of mistakes but his two worst ones (apart from the goal) were when Tierney went bombing down the wing and Robbo fuked things up. Tierney is only going to make those runs a few times in each game, especially against top opposition. The players just simply have to make sure he gets the ball when he does that. If they don't, it's not only a lost attacking opportunity, but if we give the ball away we are very exposed at the back. Lesson number one for me is that when Tierney makes that run you have to give him the fukin ball. 

Angus Gunn is our number one keeper now, he is better than Craig Gordon.

If I had j known you were typing that I would have just saved myself the bother 🙄😁

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Something wasn't quite right last night as the intensity was nowhere near where it needed to be.  We had an extra day to prepare/rest, home crowd but being honest England could have scored as many as they wanted.  More worryingly i didn't see many of ours at full tilt to stop them.  The third goal is embarrassing really the time and space both Bellingham and Kane had.  

Southgate putting out half a changed, refreshed side could of help them

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

. And as far as his commentary goes, all his  ‘ i tell you what’ and repetitive phrases be uses becomes tedious after a while . 

You’re “spot on” with that Sis. 😉

Annoying as fuck.

I also felt Souness’s pro England comments were largely coming from an angry at Scotland perspective. Whereas as McCoist was just an arse licking sycophant.

Back in the Euros Souness was hilarious. He got torn in to England and was praising the likes of Billy Gilmour to the high heavens. He was also bigging up Scotland big time pre match last night. I felt like he just looked annoyed after the game. 

48 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I agree with everyone who is looking at this result realistically. How many games do England lose ? Yes, we didn’t play anywhere near as well as we could, and a rare big mistake by Robertson more or less put the game beyond reach,. Painful as it is. we need to remember how strong England are  ,    we are not at that level . 
I would much rather get a reality check against a top team in a friendly, though preferably not England, the team will now be well aware of the task ahead in Seville.  I am certain we will qualify in Georgia, and I agree with Malcolm , we will not embarrass ourselves either at the Euros.  

As far as McCoist goes, I lost most respect I had for him a while back. Its easy to seem an enthusiastic supporter of your country when they are winning, but you should look like it actually hurts when beaten and he fails miserably. And as far as his commentary goes, all his  ‘ i tell you what’ and repetitive phrases be uses becomes tedious after a while . 

I haven't heard him this morning but I'm told he is still banging on about England and now he thinkw Harry maguire would walk into our defence 😆 

Maguire is one of the few or possibly the only one who wouldn't walk into scotlands team 

There was a couple of times I couldn't even understand what McCoist was trying say but it must be difficult talking with Dion Dublin's massive boaby in your gob for an hour and a half.

Played off the park and only 2 bookings - there's the start of the post match analysis right there. Barely laid a glove on them. 

Was at the game and the atmosphere was electric. The team didn't feed of that and just didn't seem to have much intensity. We showed too much respect and gave England too much time to play the game they wanted and they dictated as we sat off them. 

Not many plus points but we were still in the game until their 3rd goal.

I don’t think anybody would be as annoyed if that was against any other top nation last night, just hurts more cause it’s against them.. they’re a cut above Spain in my opinion, Walker and Bellingham were immense.

40 minutes ago, Marky said:

You’re “spot on” with that Sis. 😉

Annoying as fuck.

I also felt Souness’s pro England comments were largely coming from an angry at Scotland perspective. Whereas as McCoist was just an arse licking sycophant.

Back in the Euros Souness was hilarious. He got torn in to England and was praising the likes of Billy Gilmour to the high heavens. He was also bigging up Scotland big time pre match last night. I felt like he just looked annoyed after the game. 

Yeah I agree about Souness. I think he is more frustrated than anything . 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I haven't heard him this morning but I'm told he is still banging on about England and now he thinkw Harry maguire would walk into our defence 😆 

Maguire is one of the few or possibly the only one who wouldn't walk into scotlands team 

Based on last nights performance he could walk into our attack 😁

22 minutes ago, supersub said:

Was at the game and the atmosphere was electric. The team didn't feed of that and just didn't seem to have much intensity. We showed too much respect and gave England too much time to play the game they wanted and they dictated as we sat off them. 

Not many plus points but we were still in the game until their 3rd goal.

Absolutely spot on.

Gunn was the only one I would say got pass marks last night, with the only outfield players that even came close being Hickey (only issue is he just did not have the pace to mark Trippier) and McGregor.

England's game plan was to have at least 2 players on Gilmour all the time, and its no wonder our best 10 minute spell where we had them on the ropes was after he was subbed.

Tierney really struggled with holding Kane all night.

First goal felt like it was a result of England knowing the line's man was ball watching (he was VERY slow on raising his flag on a lot of decisions, and England caught on to this, hence their 1st goal looked very questionable, but they were going to get a goal out of that tactic eventually).... second goal just felt like the 1st had knocked the stuffing out of us and was more a panic scramble to get the ball away from Kane.

England played well, but did feel like we made them look like Brazil, even though they were just holding possession all night (no matter what, Dykes and Adams were on a hiding to nothing as we just could not keep the ball enough).