Cyprus v Scotland - Match Thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cyprus v Scotland - Match Thread

romanticscot

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a look at competitive results of European nations since Euro 2020:

1. Scotland - Pld 19 - 2.42 points per game
  2. Portugal - Pld 23 - 2.17 ppg
  3. Netherlands - Pld 23 - 2.17 ppg
  4. France - Pld 25 - 2.12 ppg
  5. Germany - Pld 17 - 2.06 ppg
  6. Croatia - Pld 25 - 2.04 ppg
  7. England - Pld 23 - 1.96 ppg
  8. Denmark - Pld 21 - 1.95 ppg
  9. Serbia - Pld 18 - 1.89 ppg
  10. Israel - Pld 16 - 1.88 ppg

Russia would be second, but I excluded them as they've only played seven competitive matches; all other European nations have played at least fifteen.

It's an incredible record we've got now.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Job was done in the first half

Of course. It wasn't a criticism of the performance, merely an observation.

The result was never in doubt after that first half; there was little point expending energy unless we needed to, especially in the heat, or risking injuries/suspensions.

Our last 11 qualifying group games:-

796  04.09.2021  Glasgow            Moldova              W   1- 0   WCq       
797  07.09.2021  Vienna             Austria              W   1- 0   WCq
798  09.10.2021  Glasgow            Israel               W   3- 2   WCq                  
799  12.10.2021  Torshavn           Faroe Islands        W   1- 0   WCq
800  12.11.2021  Chisinau           Moldova              W   2- 0   WCq
801  15.11.2021  Glasgow            Denmark              W   2- 0   WCq
812  25.03.2023  Glasgow            Cyprus               W   3- 0   ECq
813  28.03.2023  Glasgow            Spain                W   2- 0   ECq
814  17.06.2023  Oslo               Norway               W   2- 1   ECq
815  20.06.2023  Glasgow            Georgia              W   2- 0   ECq
816  08.09.2023  Larnaca            Cyprus               W   3- 0   ECq

Edited by Toepoke

Reading the first 3 pages of drivel on this thread has at least given me a laugh. Some of you are the very definition of glass half empty, woe is me,  dour as fuck Scottish wanks!

Pour yourself a dram, we’re going to Deutschland ‘24 😂

14 minutes ago, slasher said:

Reading the first 3 pages of drivel on this thread has at least given me a laugh. Some of you are the very definition of glass half empty, woe is me,  dour as fuck Scottish wanks!

Pour yourself a dram, we’re going to Deutschland ‘24 😂

What a charming fellow. 

Keep coming back to that third goal. A lot of lovely passes before it. The pick of them for me is Gilmour's. Its played inside to him in our half and first time he absolutely whips the ball up to Hickey. Its from there we start the move. We are absolutely blessed to have him in the middle

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Like others it may have been good to give gametime to Lewis Ferguson and maybe Kevin Nisbet. A bit of extra experience and a chance to look at them in a competitive match. However, a match which we controlled and coasted through after the first half hour.

I agree about Ferguson and Nisbet but it might be better for them to get some game time against England. It might only be a friendly but it won’t be played like one. 

That second half was like a training game. 

Its interesting that clarke has built a solid international defence with 2 guys who play championship and another who was struggling to get a game in belgium. 

We hardly look like conceding in matches these days. Only goal we have conceded was from a dodgy pen as well.

Porteous is destined for higher than watford and the english championship imo. Hendry as well if he wasn't getting stupid money to play in the middle east.

A long term trio of hendry porteous and tierney could be basis of our defence for the next 6 or 7 years.

23 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Maths isn't my strong point, but we're pretty much there, aren't we🤔

From what I can tell, either of Georgia or Norway have to win all their remaining matches, and both of them still have a game against Spain

Spot on. Georgia have to go to Spain whilst Norway are at home to Norway. And the good thing is Spain still have much to play for so they cannot stroll through those games. Besides can even our self-doubting fans suddenly see us losing three games on the bounce considering our current run of form? No way.

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on. Georgia have to go to Spain whilst Norway are at home to Norway. And the good thing is Spain still have much to play for so they cannot stroll through those games. Besides can even our self-doubting fans suddenly see us losing three games on the bounce considering our current run of form? No way.

👍

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Our last 11 qualifying group games:-

796  04.09.2021  Glasgow            Moldova              W   1- 0   WCq       
797  07.09.2021  Vienna             Austria              W   1- 0   WCq
798  09.10.2021  Glasgow            Israel               W   3- 2   WCq                  
799  12.10.2021  Torshavn           Faroe Islands        W   1- 0   WCq
800  12.11.2021  Chisinau           Moldova              W   2- 0   WCq
801  15.11.2021  Glasgow            Denmark              W   2- 0   WCq
812  25.03.2023  Glasgow            Cyprus               W   3- 0   ECq
813  28.03.2023  Glasgow            Spain                W   2- 0   ECq
814  17.06.2023  Oslo               Norway               W   2- 1   ECq
815  20.06.2023  Glasgow            Georgia              W   2- 0   ECq
816  08.09.2023  Larnaca            Cyprus               W   3- 0   ECq

The goals against gives me a full blown erection with thrombin veins and everything 

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Maths isn't my strong point, but we're pretty much there, aren't we🤔

From what I can tell, either of Georgia or Norway have to win all their remaining matches, and both of them still have a game against Spain

They also have to play each other so only one of those two teams can catch us. At least one of them will be eliminated on Tuesday (hopefully both if they draw). 

We’ll see what Norway are really made of next week. 

25 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

They also have to play each other so only one of those two teams can catch us. At least one of them will be eliminated on Tuesday (hopefully both if they draw). 

We’ll see what Norway are really made of next week. 

Neither will be eliminated (technically) with a draw on Tuesday as they could still finish above Spain.

10 hours ago, Dillinger said:

Keep coming back to that third goal. A lot of lovely passes before it. The pick of them for me is Gilmour's. Its played inside to him in our half and first time he absolutely whips the ball up to Hickey. Its from there we start the move. We are absolutely blessed to have him in the middle

It was quality. That Gilmour pass was fabulous but for me it was Hickey’s intervention I enjoyed the most. It was such a perfect exemplar of why this system works as Gilmour played him the ball from inside our own half to where Hickey picked it up sitting in the inside right channel. That positional flexibility and the pendulum across the back is just so hard for opposition teams to deal with. 

Watching back the goals this morning and double checking the table to make sure it’s all real. I’m so used to us starting campaigns terribly and then playing well when qualification is already a struggle or beyond us that it’s so strange to see us with 5 wins from 5 and only a dodgy penalty conceded.

Can’t wait for Tuesday now 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿