UK Cities with Congestion Charges in place. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

UK Cities with Congestion Charges in place.

Low Emission Zones that charge drivers of non-compliant, private passenger cars a daily fee or penalty charge are Aberdeen, Birmingham, Bristol, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and London.Must admit I never  thought it was this many.

Anyone got experience of incurring these charges outside of London? I was down there last week but avoided the charge  as I was visiting Richmond. Even then I don't think my 9 year old car would have been subject to a charge. Either way its all good and well enforcing the charges but the public transport and alternative methods of transport infrastructure provisions in many cities is absolutely horrific. 

However I can only see other cities following suit. 

Edited by EddardStark

I think it's ridiculous and an attack on drivers, especially those that can't afford newer compliant cars. Yet again the answer in the "UK" is always take take take, tax more, charge people , just punish fowk. They're targeting the wrong people at the wrong time. What else we going to start getting charged for? breathing? 

FUCK the "UK", this place is utter SHITE. 

It's just another scheme to get folk to spend money on stuff that isn't required. They are just using the same old "built in obsolescence" con trick that the computer and phone industry have been using for years. They are selling us stuff that is perfectly capable of continuing to work for 20 to 30 years, but then tell us we have to replace it in 6 years time because we are going to make sure you can't use it anymore. It's this obscene consumer society, continuously using up precious resources, that is destroying the planet, not a few folk driving round in 20 year old cars. 

There are just loads of wee pressure groups looking out for their own interests pushing different agendas, with nobody taking control of the overall big picture. 

I think if we had good cheap public transport people would more readily accept schemes to reduce pollution but we dont so it is more ham grabbing by the establishment

3 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

I think it's ridiculous and an attack on drivers, especially those that can't afford newer compliant cars. Yet again the answer in the "UK" is always take take take, tax more, charge people , just punish fowk. They're targeting the wrong people at the wrong time. What else we going to start getting charged for? breathing? 

FUCK the "UK", this place is utter SHITE. 

Sorry If I am wrong here but I don't think this is the UK government imposing this on Scottish cities. I suspect this would happen in scottish cities if Scotland were independent too.

I think Newcastle has a scheme in place as well as those previously mentioned, I've got family that live there and as far as I'm  aware there's not been any great controversy, though no doubt some have objected. It seems to me that LEZs are sensible measure from a health point of view though need to be introduced thoughtfully,it's also easily weaponised from a political point of view particularly by the Tories who seem to be opposed to any measures to protect the environment or promote people's health.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Sorry If I am wrong here but I don't think this is the UK government imposing this on Scottish cities. I suspect this would happen in scottish cities if Scotland were independent too.

I was commenting on the situation as a whole, if we weren't getting fisted left right and centre by the Govt in England I wouldn't mind reasonable measures to address important issues, thing is it's constant and it's spiteful. I fuckin hate the "UK" in it's current state, it's gash and unless we get independence it ain't going to get ANY better. 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I think if we had good cheap public transport people would more readily accept schemes to reduce pollution but we dont so it is more ham grabbing by the establishment

This is the problem. I think most people would be ok if all the money from such things was ring fenced and went directly into additional funding for things like public transport but we all know that it will just go into the council pot to be spent on whatever they choose.

Its the drip drip drip affect of charging. Over the past few years we have had to start paying for my garden waste removal (council), low emissions zones and plastic bags (shops). Im sure there will be other examples aswell. 

But these are all things that used to be covered by things like taxes or shopping costs but realistically you cant do without. As somebody said to me the other day, if the bag charge was to try and reduce the amount of wasted plastic bags then why are we now paying 20p for a paper bag. 

My understanding is it only affects petrol vehicles made before 2005 and diesel vehicles made before 2015 (I think).  I can't think there will be that many cars made before 2005 still be driven around.

The decline in Glasgow city centre has been blamed on the LEZ, which is nonsense as it has been going downhill for years (the advent of internet shopping is far more culpable).  In any case, taking your car into town was financially disincentivised years ago by the exorbitant car parking charges imposed around the city centre. It's far cheaper - but less convenient - just to use public transport. 

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It's just another scheme to get folk to spend money on stuff that isn't required. They are just using the same old "built in obsolescence" con trick that the computer and phone industry have been using for years. They are selling us stuff that is perfectly capable of continuing to work for 20 to 30 years, but then tell us we have to replace it in 6 years time because we are going to make sure you can't use it anymore. It's this obscene consumer society, continuously using up precious resources, that is destroying the planet, not a few folk driving round in 20 year old cars. 

You're right, but as long as big corporations continue to rake in money nothing will change, sadly.

Slightly off topic but theres a good documentary on Iplayer about the camen islands (taxhavens). 

Knew I shouldnt watch it as it would just make me angry. Imo the SNP should be highlighting more stuff like this. They arent going to get favourable press anyway so they should read the room, expose the elite and show how closing all these loopholes etc would benefit the common people.

The argument against is always that business would pull out / not invest thus costing jobs however take Amazon for example. If they pulled out of Scotland / UK becsuse they didnt want to pay tax on their billions of pounds worth of profits then another company would step right in. Afterall, if you currently have 0% of a market and the big player leaves, then getting that market but having to pay tax is well worth it.

So i went and looked there ater reading this to be compliant it seems

"What is a Euro 4 petrol car? Euro 4 applied to all new cars – including petrols – registered from 1 January 2006. "

is the standard, i for sure thought my ancient motor wouldn't pass but it seems to.

5 minutes ago, phart said:

So i went and looked there ater reading this to be compliant it seems

"What is a Euro 4 petrol car? Euro 4 applied to all new cars – including petrols – registered from 1 January 2006. "

is the standard, i for sure thought my ancient motor wouldn't pass but it seems to.

I think it's mainly diesel vehicles that cause most of the pollution.

Of course, the whole diesel car market was another massive con trick played on us by folk who tried to tell us that diesel would be better for the environment. Just another scam to make money out of us.

Not sure if this is the place to put this but this starts sometime in October . Woman serving at Johnstone told me today. Will bring the peak time return ticket from Johnstone to Glasgow from £ 8.50 to £5.40 . Far more affordable. No doubt the usual media will focus on the fact its only for 6 months trial rather than the fact its an attempt by the SG to get more people using public transport . 

https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/articles/humza-yousaf-announces-scotland-peak-rail-fares-be-removed-six-month-trial

On 8/29/2023 at 5:00 PM, Ally Bongo said:

It has to be reliable too. If it rains or snows then trains are off, Leaves on the track then trains are off, hot in the summer then trains are off.

People can't rely on that for work so end up taking cars in as buses take far too long too.

I've used trains in Europe, North America and Australia, the run frequently and on time and tend to be reasonably nice and better prices than ours. I was about £7 for a single from Gourock to paisley last week. Wtf is that.

On 8/29/2023 at 8:30 PM, scotlad said:

My understanding is it only affects petrol vehicles made before 2005 and diesel vehicles made before 2015 (I think).  I can't think there will be that many cars made before 2005 still be driven around.

The decline in Glasgow city centre has been blamed on the LEZ, which is nonsense as it has been going downhill for years (the advent of internet shopping is far more culpable).  In any case, taking your car into town was financially disincentivised years ago by the exorbitant car parking charges imposed around the city centre. It's far cheaper - but less convenient - just to use public transport. 

We have taken the car in and parked at St Enoch's the last 2 times and the price for a few hours is about half an adult return ticket on the train. It's a no brainer to take the car. 

I have to be honest , my commute is a doddle. Trains every 15 mins at most, rarely cancelled and most on time. Free parking at station. Its a no brainer for me . I would be off ma head to drive to Glasgow especially with petrol cost, ongoing roadworks and accidents to contend with. 

12 hours ago, Kirk said:

We have taken the car in and parked at St Enoch's the last 2 times and the price for a few hours is about half an adult return ticket on the train. It's a no brainer to take the car. 

Then there's your petrol on top of that though.  A round-trip from Inverclyde to the centre of Glasgow must be about a fiver at least.

On 8/29/2023 at 5:00 PM, Ally Bongo said:

We don't even have a fucking subway that runs past 7pm on a Sunday. 

Even where do have public transport, it's daylight robbery in many cases. 

where i am nowadays, I must admit i've never had much to grumble about Scotrail.  Prices are getting a little pricey but it's pretty reliable and would rather sit back into a city centre or town than drive through it.  

You can't rely on a bus outside peak hours though.  Which is due to driver shortages, I think.  First has an app but it lies!  says a bus is on it's way and it doesn't even exist! 😆

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We don't even have a fucking subway that runs past 7pm on a Sunday. 

Even where do have public transport, it's daylight robbery in many cases. 

It is a joke. The train network is okay, although in some parts of the city, like the north and east of Glasgow, the coverage isn't great (you can be a mile or more away from your nearest station). Buses are surprisingly expensive for the what you get - an unreliable service and clatty conditions.

Ideally we should have a joined-up public transport system where you can buy a ticket and it'll do you for the bus, train or subway. It's not as if it's a huge area to cover. Plenty of cities across Europe run similar schemes but as far as I know the only thing similar in the UK is the London Oyster card system.

6 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

where i am nowadays, I must admit i've never had much to grumble about Scotrail.  Prices are getting a little pricey but it's pretty reliable and would rather sit back into a city centre or town than drive through it.

Prices I think are reasonable. Where we live now is similar distance to Glasgow as it was to London when we lived down south. Fare to Glasgow is half the price!