RIP Craig Brown - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

RIP Craig Brown

Squirrelhumper

Very sad news.

A great Scotland manager and Scotland fan. Even years after retiring he remained prominent in his passionate support for Scotland. He always came across as a true football student who had a great wealth of knowledge of the international game. You always felt he knew his oppoents inside out.

The last Scotland manager to get us yo the World Cup.

R I P Craig Brown

Currently in Turin and what a bizarre and sad coincidence today when as I passed the new Juventus stadium on the same piece of earth as the previous Stadio Dell Alpi stood I heard CB had passed away.

This was the same ground where 33 years ago CB and Andy Roxburgh nearly pulled off the result against Brazil which would have for the first time seen us beyond the group stage.

Having been at that match the poignancy wasn't lost on me.

I had the greatest respect for him both as a Scotland and Motherwell fan and can well remember speaking to him at a question and answer session when his dignity , grace and time for everyone shone through.

Rest In Peace.

A sad day for the Tartan Army. Many great memories (and a few painful ones) were made during his tenure in charge of the national team. Not forgetting taking the U16s to a World Cup final as well.

At the time I don't recall a more meticulously prepared manager. Everything was known about our opponents, no available video unwatched. Also it's hard to think of a more glass half full fella, able to put a positive spin on any question from a journalist. 

The last time I saw him was in a restaurant a year or two back, at a table with three ladies and clearly in his element 😄

Just as our win in Oslo was a fitting tribute to Gordon McQueen hopefully we can nick a result against the English as Craig Brown did. RIP sir.

Lovely to read all the kind words about Craig Brown being a gentleman, he certainly came across that way.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think the SFA should've gave him the job after Burley got sacked in 2009. He made no secret about wanting to return and I think he was capable of getting more out of that squad, like somebody else mentioned he was a great tactician and he certainly loved managing Scotland. His reaction when Hutchison scored v England in 1999 combined with his reaction when Seaman pulled off that brilliant save in the same match, that was a man who loved his country.

R.I.P Craig Brown

1940 - 2023

A lot of great words here.  I attended Ally McLeod's funeral in Ayr.  Alex Ferguson and a lot of famous faces there.  I can't imagine the amount of football people that will be at Mr Browns.  You can still see hiss smile when you think about him.  Happy to have met him as anyone else did.  Great person.

Craig was certainly a gentleman, but also a great football man. His list of acheivments is quite something.

Won the League with Dundee as a player before his career ended prematurely with injury.

Went to 2 World Cups and a Euros with Fergie and Andy Roxburgh as coach.

Took the U16s to a World Cup Final.

Took Scotland to Euro 96 and France 98.

Easily the most successful Scotland manager of my lifetime (no pressure Stevie) made all the more pleasurable when he took on the Motherwell job and got us a top 6 finish and narrowly missed out on Europa League Group stages with 2 epic games against Odense.

The fact that no one has a bad word to say against him in what is a cut throat business speaks volumes.

RIP Paw Broon. You will be missed.

I had the pleasure of having lunch with him when he was Scotland manager and I was in P7 primary school. We were a bunch of decent footballers and it was a massive thing to be meeting the Scotland manager. I always remember how much time he had for us, talking about football and treating us like adults.

Like others have said, a true gent. He stole one of my chips though!!!

23 hours ago, aaid said:

The word I'm seeing used over and over again to describe Craig is "gentleman".  

I had the pleasure to meet him and be in his company on several occasions over the years and he was never, ever anything other than that.

A manager who was always very interested in the support and a bigger supporter of Scotland you would do well to find.

Gentleman indeed. I was lucky to be in his company a couple of times, he was the nicest most patient person ever, even while lots people were trying to get his attention and time. Ive never had the urge to attend a funeral of someone outside my family or fiends, but feel I want to pay my respect in person to this man who brought so much joy and hope over the years.  A brilliant Scot in my eyes. RIP Craig Brown

RIP - Clyde Legend

Clyde manager from 1977 (on the advice of Billy McNeil) - 1986, won us the 2nd division twice and made the club over 500k profit with the development and selling of young players. . . . . . . .(Tommy McQueen, Paul Flexney, Pat Nevin to name a few)

Left our club to be assistant to Andy Roxburgh, but insisted "he wanted a team to run" he was then also given the Scotland under 21s to run

Great manager, great guy !!!

Aaah how sad 😣

He released my mate when he was at Clyde, couldn’t have been more of a gent about it and helped him get another club!

A wee bit old school, a wee bit progressive at times and it shouldn’t be forgotten……..a mad shagger! Respect!

RIP Craigie Broon 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

23 minutes ago, slasher said:

Aaah how sad 😣

He released my mate when he was at Clyde, couldn’t have been more of a gent about it and helped him get another club!

A wee bit old school, a wee bit progressive at times and it shouldn’t be forgotten……..a mad shagger! Respect!

RIP Craigie Broon 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Aye he had more birds than Bass Rock. He did very well for a wee baldy guy. 

11 hours ago, Judith said:

Craig was certainly a gentleman, but also a great football man. His list of acheivments is quite something.

Won the League with Dundee as a player before his career ended prematurely with injury.

Went to 2 World Cups and a Euros with Fergie and Andy Roxburgh as coach.

Took the U16s to a World Cup Final.

Took Scotland to Euro 96 and France 98.

Easily the most successful Scotland manager of my lifetime (no pressure Stevie) made all the more pleasurable when he took on the Motherwell job and got us a top 6 finish and narrowly missed out on Europa League Group stages with 2 epic games against Odense.

The fact that no one has a bad word to say against him in what is a cut throat business speaks volumes.

RIP Paw Broon. You will be missed.

I think he also got the U21s qualified for their equivalent of the Euros and got them to the semi-finals.  I think leading teams that conceded only six goals over the space of two successive qualifying campaigns combined is also an achievement in itself.

For all his Paw Broon image, I think he was also quite a forward thinking coach, keen to learn about new developments in the game.  His switching to 3-5-2 after he took over as manager, for instance, while hardly revolutionary, at least brought us up to speed with the trend at the time.

7 hours ago, lauchlan said:

Gentleman indeed. I was lucky to be in his company a couple of times, he was the nicest most patient person ever, even while lots people were trying to get his attention and time. Ive never had the urge to attend a funeral of someone outside my family or fiends, but feel I want to pay my respect in person to this man who brought so much joy and hope over the years.  A brilliant Scot in my eyes. RIP Craig Brown

His stint as a teacher possibly helped in that respect (actually it was more than a stint, I think he made it as far as headteacher - another achievement!).

Dealing with some of the doolies in the Scottish press would test the patience of a saint, so again, it's to his credit that he was able to keep the heid and remain polite with them!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised his funeral date hasn't been announced yet. Anyone heard anything? Nothing online at all except 'TBC' 

Just trying to arrange my work so I can attend and pay my respect