Norway v Scotland - match day thread - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Norway v Scotland - match day thread

romanticscot

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Returned from Oslo last night and this thread has been an interesting read!

Who cares if we were "Lucky" or "Deserved to win". As said by many we scored more than they did that's how this wonderful sport is decided. Keep stats on "expected victories" if you want but they wont qualify you for tournaments!

Having rewatched in full last night what i feel got completely lost about the first goal is we kept the ball for so long, must have been 20-30 passes until McGinn drives forward, in the rgound i remembered being frustrated that we had gone back but watching again it's the possession that pulls them out a bit allowing him to drive on. Yes a slice of luck with the defending but Dykes still has to show the hunger and then composure.

Agree with most on here that Robbo was awesome, had a bit of lull in the 20 mins after half-time but generally had their RB on toast anytime he got 1 on 1.

Gilmour changed things i thought, he looked so sharp and his bravery to want the ball in tight areas and always be an option gives opposition a different problem than most of our CM.

The 2nd goal was a thing of beauty, Even Dykes little bump of the defender that allows the ball to reach McGinn was perfect and that finish, nowhere else he could have put it with defenders flying across from either side. I'm not McLeans biggest fan and feel he should be further down the pecking order (than for example Ferguson) but he'll go into legend now and not just for penalty shootouts!

Onto tomorrow now, maybe a couple of fresh faces? Given the subs and how we finished I'd imagine Gilmour and Armstrong would be favourites. Havent heard anything on Tierney after coming off though.

What a buzz, think all this team was missing was a signature away result and now after Ukraine and this weekend we've shown that we have the character to do what's required.

17 minutes ago, themikedoug said:

Returned from Oslo last night and this thread has been an interesting read!

Who cares if we were "Lucky" or "Deserved to win". As said by many we scored more than they did that's how this wonderful sport is decided. Keep stats on "expected victories" if you want but they wont qualify you for tournaments!

Having rewatched in full last night what i feel got completely lost about the first goal is we kept the ball for so long, must have been 20-30 passes until McGinn drives forward, in the rgound i remembered being frustrated that we had gone back but watching again it's the possession that pulls them out a bit allowing him to drive on. Yes a slice of luck with the defending but Dykes still has to show the hunger and then composure.

Agree with most on here that Robbo was awesome, had a bit of lull in the 20 mins after half-time but generally had their RB on toast anytime he got 1 on 1.

Gilmour changed things i thought, he looked so sharp and his bravery to want the ball in tight areas and always be an option gives opposition a different problem than most of our CM.

The 2nd goal was a thing of beauty, Even Dykes little bump of the defender that allows the ball to reach McGinn was perfect and that finish, nowhere else he could have put it with defenders flying across from either side. I'm not McLeans biggest fan and feel he should be further down the pecking order (than for example Ferguson) but he'll go into legend now and not just for penalty shootouts!

Onto tomorrow now, maybe a couple of fresh faces? Given the subs and how we finished I'd imagine Gilmour and Armstrong would be favourites. Havent heard anything on Tierney after coming off though.

What a buzz, think all this team was missing was a signature away result and now after Ukraine and this weekend we've shown that we have the character to do what's required.

Did anyone say they cared?

4 minutes ago, themikedoug said:

I'd say given the amount of back and forth on it that there is a level of care

Not from me there isnt. I only argued because lots of ppl jumped on my back. I love that we won and i love how it happened. What i won't do is rewrite how i felt before the first goal went in. I was cursing our performance before the first goal went in and i think if most are honest with themselves they would say the same. 

We dug ourselves out of a hole after playing relatively poorly and i am very thankful we did. 

31 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not from me there isnt. I only argued because lots of ppl jumped on my back. I love that we won and i love how it happened. What i won't do is rewrite how i felt before the first goal went in. I was cursing our performance before the first goal went in and i think if most are honest with themselves they would say the same. 

We dug ourselves out of a hole after playing relatively poorly and i am very thankful we did. 

Jesus man give it a rest you’ve been on about this for days 😂

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Jesus man give it a rest you’ve been on about this for days 😂

Yeh and i will probably be on about it for few more yet.

At the end of the day ppl shouldnt hassle me for being honest. If they want to lie and bullshit themselves fair enough but try and respect the ppl who will be honest about how we played.

If scotland goes near enough a whole match without creating a single opportunity or chance against an average side like norway and barely gets into norways final third then i wont pretend like we played well or even think we played ok despite being chuffed to bits we won.

42 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

At the end of the day ppl shouldnt hassle me for being honest. If they want to lie and bullshit themselves fair enough but try and respect the ppl who will be honest about how we played.

If scotland goes near enough a whole match without creating a single opportunity or chance against an average side like norway and barely gets into norways final third then i wont pretend like we played well or even think we played ok despite being chuffed to bits we won.

These forums work much better when people have different opinions so i dont think we should be discouraging anyone also a lot of whats spoke about is subjective in nature

Only thing is, i don't think many on here are saying we played well. I think most are saying the performance to a degree is irrelevant - we got the win in difficult circumstances (away at home against a decent team who have a few very good players in the heat after many players not played for a month and a half)

Enjoy the result my good man these times havent been plentiful the last 20 odd years 

16 minutes ago, borojock said:

These forums work much better when people have different opinions so i dont think we should be discouraging anyone also a lot of whats spoke about is subjective in nature

Only thing is, i don't think many on here are saying we played well. I think most are saying the performance to a degree is irrelevant - we got the win in difficult circumstances (away at home against a decent team who have a few very good players in the heat after many players not played for a month and a half)

Enjoy the result my good man these times havent been plentiful the last 20 odd years 

Yeh thats fair enough. I dont mind winning games like that. Nobody is more delighted by the result than me. Its a great time to be scotland fan and long may it continue.

Only one more obstacle left and then we can relax and start thinking of germany.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

McGinn had an attempt at goal in the first half that was very well defended.(35th minute)

The game plan was to limit their chances which of course leads to us having less chances. the fact that Haaland ony had one attempt at goal in the entire game suggests we acheived that. We could have spent more time in their half and created more but at what cost. 

We set up not to concede but hope that one of our limited chances would find the net. In this situation that is the best way to compete. I am pretty sure it will be the same set up ugainst Spain.

It's not pretty but if you want to qualify it's all about results. Play like that when you have to and your half way there, we might not have played well but I doubt there are many Norway fans thinking they did

Hopefully we can get the result against Georgia that our superior squad should but it's not given, as they will no doubt approach the game in the same way we did the Norway one. There are surprise 1-0 results every weekend.

Thats my opinion on the game.

30 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McGinn had an attempt at goal in the first half that was very well defended.(35th minute)

The game plan was to limit their chances which of course leads to us having less chances. the fact that Haaland ony had one attempt at goal in the entire game suggests we acheived that. We could have spent more time in their half and created more but at what cost. 

We set up not to concede but hope that one of our limited chances would find the net. In this situation that is the best way to compete. I am pretty sure it will be the same set up ugainst Spain.

It's not pretty but if you want to qualify it's all about results. Play like that when you have to and your half way there, we might not have played well but I doubt there are many Norway fans thinking they did

Hopefully we can get the result against Georgia that our superior squad should but it's not given, as they will no doubt approach the game in the same way we did the Norway one. There are surprise 1-0 results every weekend.

Thats my opinion on the game.

Are you seriously counting mcginns long range shot as a chance we created?

Before the winning goal we produced ZERO chances. 

When teams set up to stifle and defend away from home they usually still look to create a few chances on the counter attack. Thats how i thought we would play the game against norway.

We defended reasonably well but we produced absolutely nothing going forward. It wasnt just that either we looked sluggish and off the pace the whole game until the last ten minutes.

If i was to ask you how we performed before our first goal went in how would you have answered that?

Personally i was gutted and pissed off with our performance before our first goal and i couldnt believe our luck when the ball fell to dykes to prod home. I couldnt believe we got such a gift out of nowhere and was just happy that we might scrape a draw from a match where we created literally no chances. 

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Pretty sure he means McGinn's shot in the box that was well blocked by the defender

When teams set up to stifle and defend away from home they usually still look to create a few chances on the counter attack. Thats how i thought we would play the game against norway.

We defended reasonably well but we produced absolutely nothing going forward. It wasnt just that either we looked sluggish and off the pace the whole game until the last ten minutes.

If i was to ask you how we performed before our first goal went in how would you have answered that?

Personally i was gutted and pissed off with our performance before our first goal and i couldnt believe our luck when the ball fell to dykes to prod home. I couldnt believe we got such a gift out of nowhere and was just happy that we might scrape a draw from a match where we created literally no chances. 

Hopefully the team doesn’t let you down as badly tomorrow night and win properly convincingly!

You've made your point. Numerous times. That's plenty.

Read the room.