Jacob Brown - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jacob Brown

N4Footsoldier

So I couldn't help notice on some of the videos after the game that he was generally sulking. And to be honest I wouldn't totally blame him.

What is his role in the squad at this point? Shankland called up last minute and managed to get a few minutes at the end. I feel that substitution was a play for time in any case so probably very harsh on Brown not to get the nod for that job when he was called up in the initial squad.

He is a odd one, as he has been in the squad for best part of 18 months now, and in that time Clarke has used him very sparingly at best (think on the recent HampdenPodCast they said his game time amounts to less than 40 minutes of something like that).... I know its not like Johnny Russell when we were sort of giving him a "sympathy cap" late in games for traveling half way around the world for games, but you would have thought Brown would have got at least one start by now.

I think when he got called up we (Stoke) played him through the middle and he'd hit a purple patch.

He's been pretty crap this season until recently like the rest of the team but gone back to playing wide right again mainly for his engine.

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if pulled out with a niggle in June and next we (Scotland) hear of him is in a pub quiz.

If he doesn't get on last night up top in the role of 'dog chasing laser pen' then not sure where he fits to be honest 

15 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Probably one that is suffering from us no playing any meaningless friendlies now. 

Also a drop in club form no helping his chances either. 

Spot on. 

There is no way he was going to start or be used in crucial games and why should he when we have patently better options in front of him? Brown is a squad-filler and always will be. We get them in our squads and always have had. Players in the squad who never get gametime due to better options in front of them. That is why I have said for some time now to get Ben Doak in to replace him. Even if doesn't play he is a far better, more dynamic option from the bench and it settles him in with the manager and squad. No brainer.

Don't know enough about Brown, but wasn't he initially selected when he had a bit of a hot-streak for Stoke? His wiki stats aren't that impressive and neither is playing for Stoke City to be honest.

I think I remember coming in a couple of games and running about a bit but doing nothing.

I feel more sorry for Liam Kelly - been in the squad for almost two years and Clarke hasn't even brought him on or played him. Was amazed he didn't play him against Turkey!

On 3/30/2023 at 10:26 AM, ProudScot said:

If he was Welsh he’d be close to double figures of caps now 

Well he's not Welsh and Clarke is quite right to make earning a Scotland cap difficult. The days of easy caps because we had no one else thankfully are gone. Doak will get his chance if he makes more L'pool appearances but he's recovering from a bad injury.

On 3/31/2023 at 10:43 AM, Third Lanark said:

Well he's not Welsh and Clarke is quite right to make earning a Scotland cap difficult. The days of easy caps because we had no one else thankfully are gone. Doak will get his chance if he makes more L'pool appearances but he's recovering from a bad injury.

Agree. Let the guy play a few first team games and earn a place in the squad. 

Have very high hopes for Doak but worth remembering the same "get him in the squad now" argument was made about the likes of Jack Harper and Islam Feruz, neither of whom have exactly gone on to have stellar careers. 

Just now, Dodger said:

Agree. Let the guy play a few first team games and earn a place in the squad. 

Have very high hopes for Doak but worth remembering the same "get him in the squad now" argument was made about the likes of Jack Harper and Islam Feruz, neither of whom have exactly gone on to have stellar careers. 

Nope by me it wasn't.

Not wanting him in the squad ahead of the likes of Jacob Brown makes no sense whatsoever. Brown will never get to play for a club of the stature of Liverpool whereas Doak has done so already. In any case we could make the same argument for those cautious on giving Darren Fletcher a place in the squad when he was a teenager. It done him only good.

6 minutes ago, Dodger said:

He's a strange one. Clear that Clarke doesn't rate him especially highly given how little game time he gets. Assume he's seen as a good squad member (i.e. doesn't kick up a fuss about playing so little). 

Seems bloody odd to have a guy in the squad whose only reason for being in the squad is because he is happy not to play. 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nope by me it wasn't.

Not wanting him in the squad ahead of the likes of Jacob Brown makes no sense whatsoever. Brown will never get to play for a club of the stature of Liverpool whereas Doak has done so already. In any case we could make the same argument for those cautious on giving Darren Fletcher a place in the squad when he was a teenager. It done him only good.

Was a long time ago but I would've thought Fletcher had played more than 2 games for Man Utd when he was first called up? 

Going from under 21 football to international football is a huge jump to ask a young player to make. Don't see the rush personally.

Putting aside the issue of the manager, I think he's better playing for the under 21s than sitting on the bench for the first team. 

9 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Was a long time ago but I would've thought Fletcher had played more than 2 games for Man Utd when he was first called up? 

Going from under 21 football to international football is a huge jump to ask a young player to make. Don't see the rush personally.

Putting aside the issue of the manager, I think he's better playing for the under 21s than sitting on the bench for the first team. 

Look at it this way - you either waste a spot on the first team with Brown who warms the bench with no x-factor to worry about or you have Ben Doak who has that x-factor. And lets not forget he has had games for Celtic too. Scotland has to get out of this pathetic habit of crapping themselves at the prospect of playing talented youngsters and selecting worse players in the squad in front of them. Take a leaf out of Wales book who cap youngsters early and it invariably never down any harm to them.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Look at it this way - you either waste a spot on the first team with Brown who warms the bench with no x-factor to worry about or you have Ben Doak who has that x-factor. And lets not forget he has had games for Celtic too. Scotland has to get out of this pathetic habit of crapping themselves at the prospect of playing talented youngsters and selecting worse players in the squad in front of them. Take a leaf out of Wales book who cap youngsters early and it invariably never down any harm to them.

Patterson, gilmour and hickey all been thrown into big games at a young age. 

Doak will be given his chance when he's playing some first team football.

17 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Back to the original post, I think part of Shankland getting on the pitch was due to him cutting his holiday short to come out for the squad. So he would have been incentivized by getting a cap if possible 

I thought he'd have brought Brown on for his pace to try get Spain on the break but I would say Shankland is better at holding up the ball than Brown and a bit more physical.