Steve Clarke - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke

Squirrelhumper

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I hope you’re still saying that tomorrow night. Got a bad feeling about the game tomorrow for some reason. Oh yeah it will be the 30 odd years of supporting Scotland. 

In all seriousness though yeah I would agree. There are better coaches out there that Steve Clarke but are there many that would take the Scotland job and stick with it for a few years? 

The last time we started a euros campaign it was the disaster in Kazakhstan. They were proper dark days. 

I can't believe that was only 4 years ago!?  I've pushed it that far into my subconscious I'd thought it was at least 8 years ago.  Dark days indeed, I thought there was no way back that day 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I hope you’re still saying that tomorrow night. Got a bad feeling about the game tomorrow for some reason. Oh yeah it will be the 30 odd years of supporting Scotland. 

In all seriousness though yeah I would agree. There are better coaches out there that Steve Clarke but are there many that would take the Scotland job and stick with it for a few years? 

The last time we started a euros campaign it was the disaster in Kazakhstan. They were proper dark days. 

Its a good combination right now, Clarke is a good coach, he has installed some belief and as fans we've now had some exciting times and we are looking forward to this campaign. Clarke also wants the job, it seems like the perfect role for him. 

I'm not worried about today, well I'm a football fan so there's always that little doubt but I am confident 

The right decision.

Was on the fence after the Ireland away hammering! But, we WON that group!

We are night and day from a few years ago - if we could find a striker! We played really well on Saturday, "It only takes one game for you guys to excited?" from someone who doesn't understand football but about Scotland fans ; but quietly optimistic about tomorrow.

My main concern is he's too slow to change when things aren't going well. And no idea why Jacob Brown is in every squad! If he can get us to the Euros ; and a decent WC qualifying campaign he'll be in hot demand for a club job (if he wants it?).

There's no doubt we are a better side than we have been in a long time. He's won a playoff ; won the A Nations League title and improved us a lot.

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

The right decision.

Was on the fence after the Ireland away hammering! But, we WON that group!

We are night and day from a few years ago - if we could find a striker! We played really well on Saturday, "It only takes one game for you guys to excited?" from someone who doesn't understand football but about Scotland fans ; but quietly optimistic about tomorrow.

My main concern is he's too slow to change when things aren't going well. And no idea why Jacob Brown is in every squad! If he can get us to the Euros ; and a decent WC qualifying campaign he'll be in hot demand for a club job (if he wants it?).

There's no doubt we are a better side than we have been in a long time. He's won a playoff ; won the A Nations League title and improved us a lot.

He also led us to second in our last qualifying group which is arguably his greatest achievement. If he can do that again we’ll be going to Germany. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He also led us to second in our last qualifying group which is arguably his greatest achievement. If he can do that again we’ll be going to Germany. 

He also failed to win the previous nations league group,when we should have and got things all wrong at the Euros. 

Still the best man for the job as long as we continue with an overall upward trajectory 

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

He also failed to win the previous nations league group,when we should have and got things all wrong at the Euros. 

Still the best man for the job as long as we continue with an overall upward trajectory 

The first one was more to do with the players getting pished after beating Serbia. Arguably he could/should have stopped that but the players need to take some responsibility. 

Getting things wrong at the euros is a bit harsh. He got some things wrong and he got other things right. 

Clarke isn’t the best coach in the world (nowhere near it in fact) but I don’t think anyone can argue that he has done better than any manager we have had since Craig Brown.

If we finish second (or better) in our qualifying group and get to Germany without even needing the playoffs then I don’t think anyone could argue he’s not the man for the job, even if he is far from perfect. 

On 3/27/2023 at 4:32 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

He didn't get the England game wrong, good team selection and outplayed the eventual finalists.

Yeah the Hampden games were disappointing, conceding goals at the wrong times when having decent spells but that's typical Scotland in major tournaments.

I do think there's enough in the current set up to get the hallowed last 16 appearance eventually. Really promising seeing the players who weren't even in this squad who've contributed to good results in the last 12 months e.g Hendry, McKenna so there's solid strength in depth in positions that were a real problem only a few years ago. Age range of the squad is pretty good aswell as many of these can go on to Euro 2028 if not beyond.

Great to see Clarke get a result against a top seed. It's one of the the things missing for him so far.

I'm sure his doubters will crawl out of their caves when we inevitably have a set back......and we will have a set back during this campaign. 

He's got this team playing like a team and he has them motivated too. 

Best manager in my lifetime. Better than Brown imo.

Took on an absolute shambles and has turned us into a unit playing good football on a consistent basis. When was the last time a player called off from the squad? (Ryan Fraser and he was dealt with). All the players have bought into what he is doing. 

He has brought in youth and actually played them, his balance of bringing in players when needed but keeping the core of the squad the same means that people are earning their place but also that the squad know their roles inside out.

Who’d have thought, a bit of stability and giving a manager time to get to know the players and to get their own ideas across, actually works?!

As people have mentioned, no doubt when the inevitable downturn in results comes, the knives will be out for Steve Clarke again, but success in international management has to come from giving and allowing someone 8-10 years to actually have a go at the job. Changing the manager every 2-4 years is a recipe for disaster and leads to the kind of carnage we found ourselves in before Clarke took over.

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Really need to try and keep him. Even if it means forking out unprecedented money for a scotland manager. Loads of clubs will be wanting him soon and offering him big money.

Who?

It's different to McLeish who'd never managed in the premier league so that's why he walked out. Clarke has and considering Postecoglou hasn't been tempted down south yet I can't see anyone decent approaching Clarke.

Old Firm not going to happen either so won't be another Walter Smith.

He extended up to 2026 just last week so there's the commitment from both sides right there.

Remember when Coleman walked out of a contract for life with Wales to join Sunderland. That worked out well for his managerial career!

Michael O'Neil did o.k at Stoke but could never lift them into championship play offs so back at Northern Ireland trying to massively overachieve once more.

41 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

this eclipses Denmark for me because Denmark were already qualified. Spain had something on the line last night and it showed after the match. 

I agree that beating Spain was bigger than beating Denmark but I'd still put Denmark down as his first "Big Win"

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Who?

It's different to McLeish who'd never managed in the premier league so that's why he walked out. Clarke has and considering Postecoglou hasn't been tempted down south yet I can't see anyone decent approaching Clarke.

Old Firm not going to happen either so won't be another Walter Smith.

He extended up to 2026 just last week so there's the commitment from both sides right there.

Remember when Coleman walked out of a contract for life with Wales to join Sunderland. That worked out well for his managerial career!

Michael O'Neil did o.k at Stoke but could never lift them into championship play offs so back at Northern Ireland trying to massively overachieve once more.

Doesnt mean clarke might not want another crack at managing in the epl. 

Who?

You telling me there wont be or isnt any clubs that will be interested in clarke. Loads of big championship clubs would love to give clarke a shot. 

If we qualify for the euros and do well at them then lots of offers will come in for him. He seems a loyal guy and likes the job so thats a plus but never be fooled into thinking he wont be tempted, especially if an epl club comes calling.