Steve Clarke - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke

Squirrelhumper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Clarke has a better win percentage than Craig Brown and Gordon Strachan, Strachan sadly never qualified for a tournament (saying major just seems redundant now) but Brown made it to Euro 96 and France 98 so his record is superior where it really matters.  If Clarke gets us to Euro 2024 - then things can be debated but if he got us to Euro 2024 and the World Cup in 2026 - then arguably he could be the greatest Scotland Manager of the last 30+ years(for the national team). 

I am aware Roxburgh was the Manager for Mexico 86 and Italia 90 - however the qualification for Mexico was Jock Stein.

Edited by romanticscot

48 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Steve Clarke has a better win percentage than Craig Brown and Gordon Strachan, Strachan sadly never qualified for a tournament (saying major just seems redundant now) but Brown made it to Euro 96 and France 98 so his record is superior where it really matters.  If Clarke gets us to Euro 2024 - then things can be debated but if he got us to Euro 2024 and the World Cup in 2026 - then arguably he could be the greatest Scotland Manager of the last 30+ years(for the national team). 

I am aware Roxburgh was the Manager for Mexico 86 and Italia 90 - however the qualification for Mexico was Jock Stein.

Craig Brown’s qualifying record was fantastic but it’s worth remembering that we were always a pot 2 team (as far as I remember) during his time as manager. 

Not that I want to take away from Brown’s achievements but I suspect Strachan may well have got us to a tournament if we had been a pot 2 team when he took over. 

Strachan came so close for EURO 2016 and a play-off spot for the 2018 World Cup , but you judge the record on the accomplishments.  Our trajectory was on the upwards, and then the McLeish years were a big step backwards.

8 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Strachan came so close for EURO 2016 and a play-off spot for the 2018 World Cup , but you judge the record on the accomplishments.  Our trajectory was on the upwards, and then the McLeish years were a big step backwards.

I’m not sure if finishing 4th in our 2016 qualifying group could be considered much of an achievement to be honest (it was a tough group to be fair) but at least we weren’t as bad as we were under Levein I suppose. 

21 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

McLeish Years???? He only got 6 fukin games and he won 4 of them and got us to a playoff. 

On 3/29/2023 at 5:12 PM, Orraloon said:

McLeish Years???? He only got 6 fukin games and he won 4 of them and got us to a playoff. 

Agree with this. McLeish may not have been the right man for the job but effectively he took a squad in a transitional period, gave a core group of our now important players their first international experience, got stitched up with some hair-brained South America trip and ultimately got us over the line in a bare minimum sense with a Nations league play off.

Of course, results were poor and his handling of interviews was hard to watch at times. He had to go. But at the time he was basically a scapegoat for a national side (and National FA) that had failed to maintain our reputation as a relatively well respected footballing nation as in previous decades with 20+ years of failing to qualify. The amount of vitriol from some of our 'fans' who had the knives out for him was disgraceful.

• 3 weeks later...