Steve Clarke - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke

Squirrelhumper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for him. That would be two more campaigns with one or two Nations League seasons. If my memory is correct that would be another two years. I'll admit it does feel good to have some stability, here's hoping the performances warrant keeping him till 2026 if not longer.

Happy enough with this. There have been some very disappointing performances and results ( 2 home games in Euros, play off against Ukraine) but in general the good has outweighed the bad. The grit and determination in the last triple header was impressive, to get what we needed with so many players missing by the third game. 

1 hour ago, saintsparky said:

Happy with him getting a new contract, I can't see him leaving to go anywhere else.

However, I do hope he brings in fresh assistants occasionally for a different perspective and new ideas to the group..

He did with Austin McPhee and uncoincidentally we started doing far better at set pieces.

Little changes like that can make a big difference over a campaign. He is definitely not averse to changing things up. 

Be good to see how this thread ages!

But in all seriousness, the notion that Clarke isn't the man for the job is a lazy argument. Has us winning more consistently than any time in the last 20 odd years, and winning more than we have in recent decades against teams we should beat.

We will all now when his tenure has run its course, and that would be if it becomes evident that he's taken the squad as far as it can go. But there is still some additional upside to be gained from the current group of players in the time that is left on his new deal.

49 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Be good to see how this thread ages!

But in all seriousness, the notion that Clarke isn't the man for the job is a lazy argument. Has us winning more consistently than any time in the last 20 odd years, and winning more than we have in recent decades against teams we should beat.

We will all now when his tenure has run its course, and that would be if it becomes evident that he's taken the squad as far as it can go. But there is still some additional upside to be gained from the current group of players in the time that is left on his new deal.

Be better to bring back the one when he got offered his last extention.

In favour of this one but the last one was desperate.

39 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I find the news quite ridiculous TBH. Hopefully he can do a good job.

The timing does seem a bit odd,  if it all goes tits up tomorrow they could look a bit silly.  Think they should've waited til mid qualifying at least.

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

I find the news quite ridiculous TBH. Hopefully he can do a good job.

I'll probably regret this but why is the news ridiculous? What would you have done different?

45 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Not sure of the timing of this what happens if we get a poor result tomorrow .

if he fails to get us to the euros which will still be a challenge with the squad limitations . I would not be keen on him having another campaign .

Well we always have the play off booked 

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Happy with this news. He's still the man for the job IMO

I hope you’re still saying that tomorrow night. Got a bad feeling about the game tomorrow for some reason. Oh yeah it will be the 30 odd years of supporting Scotland. 

In all seriousness though yeah I would agree. There are better coaches out there that Steve Clarke but are there many that would take the Scotland job and stick with it for a few years? 

The last time we started a euros campaign it was the disaster in Kazakhstan. They were proper dark days.