Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We look really light up front IMO. Dykes just back far injury. 

Dykes manager was saying yesterday that he is well ahead of schedule of what they expected for his return (planned to only use him for 45 minutes at the weekend against Watford, and ended up giving him a full hour)

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

ignoring the controversy around Gunn and accepting him as Scottish, and assuming we are playing 5 at the back, I would go

Gunn

Hickey    Hendry         Hanley        Tierney       Robertson     
                 Mctominay           Ferguson     Mcgregor

Mcginn

Dykes

If we play 4…

Gunn

hickey         Hanley  hendry        Tierney

Mctominay   Ferguson mcgregor   Robertson

Mcginn

Dykes

Dykes wont start . Has hardly played this year after illness 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

ignoring the controversy around Gunn and accepting him as Scottish, and assuming we are playing 5 at the back, I would go

Gunn

Hickey    Hendry         Hanley        Tierney       Robertson     
                 Mctominay           Ferguson     Mcgregor

Mcginn

Dykes

If we play 4…

Gunn

hickey         Hanley  hendry        Tierney

Mctominay   Ferguson mcgregor   Robertson

Mcginn

Dykes

No way Dykes ahead of Adams , it's not even close in terms of quality even if which I doubt Dykes is match fit.

Dykes will get some more training minutes under him, I reckon he will see 15 mins against Cyprus but he can't start against Spain either but that game will be about defending with composure and the odd counter attack looking for a corner or set piece with big Hanley to bang in a header.  The weather might have a factor to play in the whole affair.  

2 minutes ago, daviebee said:

No Greg Taylor?  Suppose Hickey can cover both flanks in an emergency.  Still, he's been one of Celtic's best performers this season.

Seriously light up front as well.  Worryingly so.

Clarke said in his conference that Celtic asked for him not to be included, but went in to no detail about what it was about.

46 minutes ago, daviebee said:

No Greg Taylor?  Suppose Hickey can cover both flanks in an emergency.  Still, he's been one of Celtic's best performers this season.

Been unlucky with injuries to players like ross stewart and shankland. Nisbet looked quality when he came back from injury. Hopefully be more options in future squads.

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Likes of Turnbull really needs to leave Celtic. Def a talented player. 

not good enough unfortunately.  Flatters to deceive in my view. A very tidy player but not kicked on, and way behind Ferguson now.

i can see him off to a championship team in England and have to rebuild.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

I don't know whether Gallagher at Blackburn is eligible for us. I know it's a bit of an Angus Gunn situation and I've no idea how good he is but he's started regularly for a team who are doing well in the Championship and we are short up front. 

3 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Likes of Turnbull really needs to leave Celtic. Def a talented player. 

I agree. Good ability on the ball but he doesn't suit the high tempo style that Celtic player under Ange. 

Greg Taylor is having a good season but he's no big loss. I might even have young Josh Doig in the squad ahead of him.

25 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I don't know whether Gallagher at Blackburn is eligible for us. I know it's a bit of an Angus Gunn situation and I've no idea how good he is but he's started regularly for a team who are doing well in the Championship and we are short up front. 

Gallagher qualifies through his dad. He played a few games for us at youth level before switching to England.

He's not played for them since U21 level so in theory he could switch, although I'm not sure he'd offer much more than Dykes or McBurnie, who didn't even make the cut this time.

Edited by scotlad

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Gallagher qualifies through his dad. He played a few games for us at youth level before switching to England.

He's not played for them since U21 level so in theory he could switch, although I'm not sure he'd offer much more than Dykes or McBurnie, who didn't even make the cut this time.

I agree he's probably behind McBurnie but was just thinking what other options we have at present given our injury problems. 

3 hours ago, romanticscot said:

We look really light up front IMO. Dykes just back far injury. 

He's not everyone's cup of tea, I think it's fair to say, but I'd have included McBurnie in the squad for that reason. It's a shame about the injuries to Nisbet and Shankland, they'd both been in great form prior to that.

What Clarke sees in Jacob Brown beats me. I've made a point of watching a few Stoke games lately and he's done nothing to impress me whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I agree he's probably behind McBurnie but was just thinking what other options we have at present given our injury problems. 

Ah, fair enough.

I wouldn't turn my nose up him if he was interested. You never know what could happen and we don't exactly have a huge pool of players to pick from.

28 minutes ago, scotlad said:

He's not everyone's cup of tea, I think it's fair to say, but I'd have included McBurnie in the squad for that reason. It's a shame about the injuries to Nisbet and Shankland, they'd both been in great form prior to that.

What Clarke sees in Jacob Brown beats me. I've made a point of watching a few Stoke games lately and he's done nothing to impress me whatsoever.

Possibly just due to lack of options. Fraser and Forrest are a thing of the past now. 

7 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I

IMG_20230314_124004.jpg

Looking at the squad, the strongest XI looks to be something like:

• Gunn
  • Hickey - Hendry - Porteous - Tierney
  • McGregor - McTominay
  • Christie - McGinn - Robertson
  • Adams

Only a handful of outfield Championship players in the squad. Just a shame our goalkeeping options aren't of the same standard atm; attacking depth, as others have pointed out, is a concern too.

29 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

So, many will be happy to read this but seeing as McBurnie is not in the squad, unless he becomes a 12+ Premiership goals per season player, his Scotland career would appear to be over. 

We have had far more potent strikers for us whose career came to an end without a fuss so I do not cry for McBurnie.

As you say the fact we are thin on the ground for strikers andd still not selected says lots.

Really frightening lack of goal threat in that forward line. You would almost be better playing John McGinn up front  .           Dykes hardly played,Adams movement good but not a consistant goalscorer and Brown(don't really know what to say about him).Unless McGinn ,McGregor or maybe McTominay step up with a goal we could struggle in both games .You never know on the night they might just hit it off.Hope to God they do and i will be the first to say they proved me wrong but on paper that forward line looks pretty grim.

20 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Really frightening lack of goal threat in that forward line. You would almost be better playing John McGinn up front  .           Dykes hardly played,Adams movement good but not a consistant goalscorer and Brown(don't really know what to say about him).Unless McGinn ,McGregor or maybe McTominay step up with a goal we could struggle in both games .You never know on the night they might just hit it off.Hope to God they do and i will be the first to say they proved me wrong but on paper that forward line looks pretty grim.

Our goals in recent times has not been uber-dependent on the strikers anyway. The midfield weighs in with goals from likes of McGinn and Armstrong plus the defenders have chipped in too. This squad is not a heck of a lot different from ones that went on a fine run of results last season.