Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion

romanticscot

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lets not kid ourselves on his club goalscoring record though. He had purple patches for his club whilst in the EPL and he was still wholly ineffective for Scotland.

The purple patch was in the championship and was 4 years ago! In saying that he’s doing alright this season based on the numbers. Agreed about his previous caps for us, he was rotten. 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The purple patch was in the championship and was 4 years ago! In saying that he’s doing alright this season based on the numbers. Agreed about his previous caps for us, he was rotten. 

Okay so purple patch at same level he is at now. What happened during that purple patch whilst playing for us? Sod all. He was rank rotten. I have seen us bin and ridicule other strikers to have had more success for us in recent times such as Chris Martin and Scott Dobbie to name but a few so I struggle to see the preferential treatment for McBurnie who, all he has offered us is embarrassing failure.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Okay so purple patch at same level he is at now. What happened during that purple patch whilst playing for us? Sod all. He was rank rotten. I have seen us bin and ridicule other strikers to have had more success for us in recent times such as Chris Martin and Scott Dobbie to name but a few so I struggle to see the preferential treatment for McBurnie who, all he has offered us is embarrassing failure.

I don’t think it’s preferential treatment, just an acknowledgment that sometimes a player deserves another chance, not saying McBurnie definitely does but it’s still a problem position for us

10 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t think it’s preferential treatment, just an acknowledgment that sometimes a player deserves another chance, not saying McBurnie definitely does but it’s still a problem position for us

It is a problem position for us but we know that he is not the answer for us and we should give chances to others given less chances or have proven their worth to us in the past ie Shankland, Burke and Nisbet all of whom have scored for us in far fewer games than McBurnie. Personally, and I have said it before, I'd integrate Ben Doak into the side ASAP too.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is a problem position for us but we know that he is not the answer for us and we should give chances to others given less chances or have proven their worth to us in the past ie Shankland, Burke and Nisbet all of whom have scored for us in far fewer games than McBurnie. Personally, and I have said it before, I'd integrate Ben Doak into the side ASAP too.

Your anti McBurnie stance loses all credibility when you suggest Oliver Burke. 

1 minute ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Oli Burke, jeezy peeps man.

Has 20 senior club goals in 8 years. His one goal for Scotland was an absolutely unmissable tap in.

His athletic ability alone is what keeps him a job as a professional footballer, not his ability certainly

Still done more for Scotland than McBurnie has ever done.

Strikers (or attacking options) I'd call up after the regulars would be Doak, Shankland, Nisbet, Stewart (when fit) and Burke. So there are plenty of options there before calling up serial failures such as McBurnie.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lets not kid ourselves on his club goalscoring record though. He had purple patches for his club whilst in the EPL and he was still wholly ineffective for Scotland.

Granted. Doesn't mean he couldn't score if he got another chance. It happens in club football(Lawrence Shankland at Hearts for one) where players come good after sometimes struggling at other clubs. McBurnie could do the same for Scotland. As for Burke. If you want somebody to win a 100m race fine... but to actually produce anything at the end of it. Doubt it. 

20 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Granted. Doesn't mean he couldn't score if he got another chance. It happens in club football(Lawrence Shankland at Hearts for one) where players come good after sometimes struggling at other clubs. McBurnie could do the same for Scotland. As for Burke. If you want somebody to win a 100m race fine... but to actually produce anything at the end of it. Doubt it. 

Pick serial failures and you get serial failure. McBurnie is the biggest serial failure up front in recent memory.

42 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Pick serial failures and you get serial failure. McBurnie is the biggest serial failure up front in recent memory.

Offers a lot more defensley than 99% of forwards at least according to people who watch him week in week out and relevant statistics. 

Stuart McCall couldn't belive how good he is compared to his Scotland performances since working with him at Sheffield United. 

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Offers a lot more defensley than 99% of forwards at least according to people who watch him week in week out and relevant statistics. 

Stuart McCall couldn't belive how good he is compared to his Scotland performances since working with him at Sheffield United. 

Club form is secondary to Scotland fans. Throughout the years we have seen many, many great Scottish club players who flopped at international football. Also saw lesser players at club level raise their levels in international football. I challenge any Scotland fan to say McBurnie has impressed for us in his 16 appearances. I have seen players jettisoned with far less chances given to them despite promising displays for us than he has had. Players such as Shankland and Nisbet actually have a better strike rate at club and international level than him and they should be our immediate back-ups and we should be looking to integrate Doak into the squad too.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Club form is secondary to Scotland fans. Throughout the years we have seen many, many great Scottish club players who flopped at international football. Also saw lesser players at club level raise their levels in international football. I challenge any Scotland fan to say McBurnie has impressed for us in his 16 appearances. I have seen players jettisoned with far less chances given to them despite promising displays for us than he has had. Players such as Shankland and Nisbet actually have a better strike rate at club and international level than him and they should be our immediate back-ups and we should be looking to integrate Doak into the squad too.

You may well be correct but I have a feeling McBurnie isn’t being considered by Clarke at the moment because of his off field antics rather than his previous poor performances for Scotland. 

If our striker woes continue and McBurnie  can prove that he can go a few months without making an arse of himself (and he’s in good form for his club) then he may well be given another chance by Clarke. 

I doubt he’ll ever be our first choice striker though. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

You may well be correct but I have a feeling McBurnie isn’t being considered by Clarke at the moment because of his off field antics rather than his previous poor performances for Scotland. 

If our striker woes continue and McBurnie  can prove that he can go a few months without making an arse of himself (and he’s in good form for his club) then he may well be given another chance by Clarke. 

I doubt he’ll ever be our first choice striker though. 

I don't see the need for him. Obviously, our stand out options at present are Adams and Dykes and cannot see that changing certainly for this campaign. Ben Doak should be getting integrated into the squad and Shankland and Nisbet also merit another look before McBurnie. In any case whilst our midfield chips in with a fair share of our goals there should be no desperation to throw in a tried and failed striker as long as the goals continue to come.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't see the need for him. Obviously, our stand out options at present are Adams and Dykes and cannot see that changing certainly for this campaign. Ben Doak should be getting integrated into the squad and Shankland and Nisbet also merit another look before McBurnie. In any case whilst our midfield chips in with a fair share of our goals there should be no desperation to throw in a tried and failed striker as long as the goals continue to come.

Depends what happens with injuries and form though doesn’t it? If McBurnie ends up scoring way more goals in the championship than Dykes (for example) does next season then Clarke may well recall him. You clearly don’t want that (I’m not that keen either to be honest) but Clarke is the man that will decide. 

Isn’t Doak more of a winger than a centre forward? 

I alluded to this above but without our current injury/fitness crisis we would not be considering McBurnie however I would not have been apposed to bringing him for the Spain game along with Shankland.  It would have caused a bit of drama and I also understand that would be detrimental right now. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Depends what happens with injuries and form though doesn’t it? If McBurnie ends up scoring way more goals in the championship than Dykes (for example) does next season then Clarke may well recall him. You clearly don’t want that (I’m not that keen either to be honest) but Clarke is the man that will decide. 

Isn’t Doak more of a winger than a centre forward? 

Christie comes under the umbrella of striker and I don't see Doak much different there. As long as we are getting results expected of us and scoring regularly as we have been lately I see no need for McBurnie and I don't think Clarke will either. In any case by next season Stewart will be back fit again presumably and so think he'll be the turn to man. The fact that McBurnie was not called up to replace Adams says how far he is out of the picture now.

21 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Christie comes under the umbrella of striker and I don't see Doak much different there. As long as we are getting results expected of us and scoring regularly as we have been lately I see no need for McBurnie and I don't think Clarke will either. In any case by next season Stewart will be back fit again presumably and so think he'll be the turn to man. The fact that McBurnie was not called up to replace Adams says how far he is out of the picture now.

Don't know why... but just got a feeling that you might not be too keen on Ollie McBurnie. 😅😊