Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, todd said:

I'm slightly concerned that Norway get something off Spain on Saturday.  Quite often the big nations start a bit ropey in qualifying 🤔

We’ll see how good Norway are without Haaland in the next week as the big man has pulled out of the squad.

3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Haaland injured so wouldn't shock me if Norway lost their first two games given they're away in Georgia after Spain so plenty of travelling.

Given Kvaratskhelia form, Georgia are probably going to be the dark horses of this group.

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Given Kvaratskhelia form, Georgia are probably going to be the dark horses of this group.

Georgia are about the same level as Israel were so 4 points would be good from the two games.

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Ralston also in, Hendry out now confirmed.

So who’s likely to play in centre defence now? Hanley & Porteous? At least Hanley will have an understanding with Gunn as they play together every week.

Surely we won’t play with 3 centre halves against Cyprus. Feel like that formation works better with Patterson as a more attacking FB than Hickey. Can see us playing with the 3 CB’s against Spain though.

4 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

So who’s likely to play in centre defence now? Hanley & Porteous? At least Hanley will have an understanding with Gunn as they play together every week.

Surely we won’t play with 3 centre halves against Cyprus. Feel like that formation works better with Patterson as a more attacking FB than Hickey. Can see us playing with the 3 CB’s against Spain though.

I personally think Hyam is better than Hanley but Clarke seems to rate Hanley and can't see him throwing Hyam straight in.
I think we should go with a back 4 against Cyprus but have a feeling Clarke will go with Porteous Hanley Tierney in a 3

Hanley starting to ease in Gunn is probably a stick on. Personally I do hate the 5 at the back but can see him doing it to get Tierney in. Probably on form Porteous would be the other centre back, being right footed on the RCB side, over say Cooper.

Don't see how he could start anyone other than Adams up front with Christie in support. Midfield is probably a lock in for McGregor and McGinn, then the choice of any of the rest depending on how he wants to play. Armstrong for an attacking slant, McTominay or Jack for more of a defensive spine.

4 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Hanley starting to ease in Gunn is probably a stick on. Personally I do hate the 5 at the back but can see him doing it to get Tierney in. Probably on form Porteous would be the other centre back, being right footed on the RCB side, over say Cooper.

Don't see how he could start anyone other than Adams up front with Christie in support. Midfield is probably a lock in for McGregor and McGinn, then the choice of any of the rest depending on how he wants to play. Armstrong for an attacking slant, McTominay or Jack for more of a defensive spine.

Agree with Hanley starting for experience and having an understanding with Gunn at club level. To give Hyam and Gunn their debuts would be too risky, especially as Porteous is inexperienced at this level. Hyam will hopefully be a good addition though, with Hendry and McKenna fit again Hanley could be phased out.

Would like to see Ferguson start, if not at least get a decent run out. Think he may be a better option than McTominay or Jack.

22 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

At the very least against Cyprus, I's like to see McGregor, McTominay and Ferguson in midfield and play McGinn off the front man.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Haaland injured so wouldn't shock me if Norway lost their first two games given they're away in Georgia after Spain so plenty of travelling.

That's good for us I suppose, although I'd have preferred it if he'd saved his injury til he's playing against us!

6 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

He'll be back in time to face us though, you can can't on it. 🙄

11 hours ago, thesaint said:

Heard McBurnie on the radio.Sounded pretty down about not being selected.Not surprised when he knows that Jacob Brown did.

Has Jacob Brown done something? I do agree McBurnie being left out on current form is very harsh on him. Clarke probably didn't need the distraction  that reintroducing a previously dropped player to the squad who was as maligned as McBurnie would bring from media etc.

Not to mention there is a large cross section of fans that would be up in arms given his previous performances in a Scotland shirt. You only need to watch Sheff Utd highlights from this season to see how well he has done.