Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Cyprus and Spain Squad discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Well yes qualified for the last euros unless I missed something?

O.k it was through the nations league play off insurance but with Belgium and Russia in the group it was going to be a big ask to finish 2nd especially given start of that McLeish was in charge. Easier group for the World cup pool and 2nd was comfortably secured in the end.

I think this is going to be more difficult. Norway surely got enough about them to have a proper go at qualifying automatically given this is the weakest Spain selection for many years back to front (look at that goal Kepa let in yesterday).

Not beating Cyprus at home would be like 3-0 in Kazakhstan for me, qualification pretty much over at that moment so can't mess up and then try to get a 1-1 v Spain.

Georgia's going to be really difficult aswell as usual with that Napoli wizard they have.

I knew what you meant but it really wasn't a successful qualifying campaign, we were fortunate to finish 3rd.  But yeah, if we don't get off to a flier this time we'll be playing catch up and inevitably relying on the playoffs yet again.  Not sure if my old ticker can take that again! 😁

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

My guess is that Patterson will withdraw from the squad in the next couple of days. 

Could see the same happening with Cooper as well as hasn't played in ages. 

Makes you wonder why Clarke is wasting squad places on guys that aren't going to be fit. 

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Makes you wonder why Clarke is wasting squad places on guys that aren't going to be fit. 

Big difference between what scotland considers fit and club level fitness.  The gilmour situation not that he offers much but still not sure if he is injured again or completely out the picture now at Brighton .

but seems to be guaranteed a spot even if injured.

can see at least three or four withdrawals .

2 hours ago, todd said:

I knew what you meant but it really wasn't a successful qualifying campaign, we were fortunate to finish 3rd.  But yeah, if we don't get off to a flier this time we'll be playing catch up and inevitably relying on the playoffs yet again.  Not sure if my old ticker can take that again! 😁

5 points clear of 4th but then I see the last match was losing to Kazakhs 1-0 and they finished on 10 points in the end so I get your point.

Just looking at the Belgium squad now and aside from KDB and Lukaku still around they're going to be in proper transition for next 3-4 years. Wouldn't be the worst top seed to get for the world cup group.

4 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

O.k it was through the nations league play off insurance but with Belgium and Russia in the group it was going to be a big ask to finish 2nd especially given start of that McLeish was in charge. Easier group for the World cup pool and 2nd was comfortably secured in the end.

I think this is going to be more difficult. Norway surely got enough about them to have a proper go at qualifying automatically given this is the weakest Spain selection for many years back to front (look at that goal Kepa let in yesterday).

Not beating Cyprus at home would be like 3-0 in Kazakhstan for me, qualification pretty much over at that moment so can't mess up and then try to get a 1-1 v Spain.

Georgia's going to be really difficult aswell as usual with that Napoli wizard they have.

They'll be difficult anyway, as we've found out in the past, but their squad (player for player) seems to be comparable to Northern Ireland without that guy.

Looking at the form of the goalies this weekend Gunn looks like he'll be starting.

Gunn getting Great reviews for his performance yesterday along with Zander letting in 3( against Aberdeen FFS)  and Kelly letting in 4.

I'd say Gunn will start on Saturday 

On 3/18/2023 at 7:09 PM, todd said:

Yep, bit of a dearth of Scottish players playing for them.  Everyone singing Anges' praises but, personally, I wish he'd fuck off!

"That's quite strong language, mate..." 🦘🇦🇺

He'll be off soon enough. The job's a stepping stone for him.

20 hours ago, Kirk said:

He has, the football on offer to watch has been much better.

Young players at Celtic although not playing much first team will be reaping the benefits of watching and training with the first team. Ideally yes they would play more Scottish players but at the end of the day maybe they're just not good enough and football is about winning.

Are this current Celtic side actually all that good though? Aye, they're good enough to wipe the floor with SPFL also-rans every week (stuffed as these teams usually are with free transfers, journeymen, has-beens and never-will-bes). Crucially, they're that bit better than the huns too. But none of their foreign "stars" are key players for their national sides, that I can think of, and they got found out in the Champions League this season.

There's nae shame in not getting in the side because there's a Henrik Larsson or a Virgil Van Dijk in front of you, but someone who's been capped once by Japan or South Korea, or has a handful of caps for a so-so Sweden team...if the biggest club in Scotland aren't producing lads capable of seriously challenging players of that standard it suggests there might be a problem somewhere.

6 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

This group is the hardest we've had in a long time. On paper next Saturday's game should be the easiest but we've struggled to put Cyrpus to bed plenty of times before. There are no minnows in this group, and we've struggled against Georgia in the not so distant past.

Spain aren't the team they were a decade ago but they're still a top side.  And if I was a Norway fan I'd be looking at my team and feeling confident about our chances of finishing in the top two in this group.

16 hours ago, scotlad said:

This group is the hardest we've had in a long time. On paper next Saturday's game should be the easiest but we've struggled to put Cyrpus to bed plenty of times before. There are no minnows in this group, and we've struggled against Georgia in the not so distant past.

Spain aren't the team they were a decade ago but they're still a top side.  And if I was a Norway fan I'd be looking at my team and feeling confident about our chances of finishing in the top two in this group.

I'm slightly concerned that Norway get something off Spain on Saturday.  Quite often the big nations start a bit ropey in qualifying 🤔

1 hour ago, todd said:

I'm slightly concerned that Norway get something off Spain on Saturday.  Quite often the big nations start a bit ropey in qualifying 🤔

No doubt a worry however on the flip side they lose to Spain then they play away to Georgia on tuesday which is Georgia 1st game so they will definitely be up for it and lose that also it would mean them going into the game with us in June under severe pressure especially if we have 4 or even 6 points.

1st 2 games are crucial and Im actually getting more confident of something good happening. A good performance and victory on Saturday will give everyone confidence to go into Spain game which hopefully will be one of those special evenings 

3 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

No doubt a worry however on the flip side they lose to Spain then they play away to Georgia on tuesday which is Georgia 1st game so they will definitely be up for it and lose that also it would mean them going into the game with us in June under severe pressure especially if we have 4 or even 6 points.

1st 2 games are crucial and Im actually getting more confident of something good happening. A good performance and victory on Saturday will give everyone confidence to go into Spain game which hopefully will be one of those special evenings 

Yes. So important to make a good start. Win these two home games and we go to Norway buzzing. As i said before nothing more depressing than making a terrible start and having to start that maybe Cyprus can draw with Spain or Georgia can draw in Norway carry on

Let's keep it in our own hands. 

13 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Yes. So important to make a good start. Win these two home games and we go to Norway buzzing. As i said before nothing more depressing than making a terrible start and having to start that maybe Cyprus can draw with Spain or Georgia can draw in Norway carry on

Good points!

Slightly off-topic: when is the squad scheduled to meet up? (Have they already started training today?)

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

I'd like to think the players will be really up for the Cyprus game, especially the non-guaranteed starters who'll be desperate to be involved against Spain in front of a, hopefully, bouncing Hampden🤞👍

Anyone know who's likely to be commentator and co-commentator for the games?  Not familiar with Viaplay, just hope to god we don't see a reprisal of Davie Provan!  He'll be desperate to get back to bad mouthing our national team.

Edited by todd