SNP leadership election - Page 58 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

1 hour ago, phart said:

There's an even bigger meta-problem around politics where it's dominated by partisan gomerals addicted to their social media feeds, covered by media trying to generate enagegement which means producing outrage, which in turn leads folk further down the path of polarisation. So why would anyone of competence even want to engage in this? You can have an easier life channelling that competence elsewhere.

When you're busy there's only so much time you can engage in politics and when you step away for a bit and come back and its the same arguments and the same polarisation and the same impasse on the path to independence, what is there to do? I guess if there's a leadership election you can engage in that if you are a member but if not, there's not much to be done except wait till the leader is elected, the dust settles, and see if it's a disaster or a fresh start.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, exile said:

When you're busy there's only so much time you can engage in politics and when you step away for a bit and come back and its the same arguments and the same polarisation and the same impasse on the path to independence, what is there to do? I guess if there's a leadership election you can engage in that if you are a member but if not, there's not much to be done except wait till the leader is elected, the dust settles, and see if it's a disaster or a fresh start.

I was meaning in the context of attracting people to become politicians, actually competent people. I get and agree in the main with your point though.

Given the SNP membership will be predominantly living in Scotland, over 72000 is still pretty impressive. I can only speak of my experience and I suspect most of those who left my branch were disillusioned with lack of progress on Indy and feeling that they were getting very little say in the direction that the party was heading. I joined the day after the referendum and it seems that it's been the more long standing activists who have left. I know some of them have joined Alba, they're still committed to independence but think SNP are stalling or hindering that goal. I think it's probably common to be frustrated by political parties and it's not been helped by a dismissive attitude from SNP leadership.

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Given the SNP membership will be predominantly living in Scotland, over 72000 is still pretty impressive. I can only speak of my experience and I suspect most of those who left my branch were disillusioned with lack of progress on Indy and feeling that they were getting very little say in the direction that the party was heading. I joined the day after the referendum and it seems that it's been the more long standing activists who have left. I know some of them have joined Alba, they're still committed to independence but think SNP are stalling or hindering that goal. I think it's probably common to be frustrated by political parties and it's not been helped by a dismissive attitude from SNP leadership.

It’s the type of member that have left the party that’s the worry, the long standing ones. The ones who want independence not the “we want independence only if we get this or that”  type 

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

It’s the type of member that have left the party that’s the worry, the long standing ones. The ones who want independence not the “we want independence only if we get this or that”  type 

It's subjective but from what I've seen that seems to be the case.

On the other hand, with all the crowing from the Unionist parties, it would be interesting to know how many members they have in Scotland.

5 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

The SNP NEC will know exactly the demographics of who has left but you can bet your arse that will be kept hidden 

It is very likely that a large chunk will be women who, rightly or wrongly, left over GRR fears and those who felt that the vehicle for Independence was going nowhere 

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The SNP NEC will know exactly the demographics of who has left but you can bet your arse that will be kept hidden 

It is very likely that a large chunk will be women who, rightly or wrongly, left over GRR fears and those who felt that the vehicle for Independence was going nowhere 

15 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

These two statements cannot both be true.  

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Screenshot_20230317-183816_Twitter.jpg

The membership drop is no big surprise to me as the increase in numbers post-2014 was bonkers and never sustainable.

Probably another boost post-Brexit kept it ticking along but people don’t stay that motivated for long. It would be inevitable that there would be a big, gradual decline to reverse the spike in numbers. That decline will naturally have been hastened by Salmond-gate, Alba and GRR amongst other things.  

The statement from Murray Foote is pretty damning though for the current state of mind of the SNP leadership if you ask me.

I’m sure others will also question whether Foote should ever have been trusted in the first place. A conversation that has merit but not the immediate priority. 

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Guys a complete moron.

I think I may have commented before how I was at Hampden last time we played Ukraine and seeing the lack of men aged 18-50 among the away fans queuing to get through the turnstiles was chilling. Because I knew why they weren't there.

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Guys a complete moron.

A proper Prince Philip moment. I've decided not to vote for any of them. They all give me the fear. The 3 of them just aren't good enough. I hope whoever gets it  proves me wrong.

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

A proper Prince Philip moment. I've decided not to vote for any of them. They all give me the fear. The 3 of them just aren't good enough. I hope whoever gets it  proves me wrong.

Kate will and with what’s about to happen, she is the only one that can save the party so if you never listen to me again, please take this advice 

47 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Kate will and with what’s about to happen, she is the only one that can save the party so if you never listen to me again, please take this advice 

I find it difficult to put my faith in someone who didn't have enough savvy to say my religion is private to me and will remain that way. I voted against the GRR as I felt it needed more work done on it. End of. Then to provide the opposition with so much ammunition by going on to criticise her own government was just jaw droppingly stupid.

6 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

I find it difficult to put my faith in someone who didn't have enough savvy to say my religion is private to me and will remain that way. I voted against the GRR as I felt it needed more work done on it. End of. Then to provide the opposition with so much ammunition by going on to criticise her own government was just jaw droppingly stupid.

Savvy to lie? I admire her honesty. Something greatly missing from a lot of politicians nowadays.

Ash Regan's campaign is speaking to lawyers about whether to obtain an interdict to pause the SNP leadership contest. [Herald] The former minister's camp is concerned at how the race is conducted and believes the party has given Yousaf an advantage.

31 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Savvy to lie? I admire her honesty. Something greatly missing from a lot of politicians nowadays.

Ok, if she's going to give an answer to everything I'd like to know her favourite sexual position but I'd imagine she'd tell me that's her business. A bit like her religion really. Like it or not she's lost a lot of support because she allowed an interviewer to bully her into answering a question they knew fine well would cause her grief. Not very savvy in politics imo.