SNP leadership election - Page 59 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

2 minutes ago, phart said:

What specifically does that even mean? I've not been following it closely enough. What is the party in this context and what was done to provide advantages?

The whole party machine has been at Yousaf's disposal for the campaign- not so much Regan and Forbes

Less than 24 hours after the membership deterioration reveal and the resignation of Murray Foote because he had to lie for the SNP NEC - John Swinney reminds everyone that he is voting for the continuity candidate having already announced it before

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the denomination that Forbes is a member of is it just conservative christian in the sense that pro-life, anti same sex marriage type, or is it even deeper and starts straying into stuff like, age of universe , evolutionary theory etc?

A quick google shows there are churches with a very similiar name spouting that evolution is a religious belief and the usual creationist arguments. However i'm unsure if it is the same sect or not.

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The whole party machine has been at Yousaf's disposal for the campaign- not so much Regan and Forbes

Less than 24 hours after the membership deterioration reveal and the resignation of Murray Foote because he had to lie for the SNP NEC - John Swinney reminds everyone that he is voting for the continuity candidate having already announced it before

So stop the count cause John Swinney repeated himself?

What's the party machine? Have resources/money been given to Yousaf that haven't been afforded to the others?

Surely just list the differences , if it's just the fact that loads of the higherups have a preference that is totally normal in leadership campaigns, endorsements exist world-wide. If it's something else state what it is.

It's obvious most MP's and MSP's favour one candidate over the other though. That's normal in these things.

41 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Ok, if she's going to give an answer to everything I'd like to know her favourite sexual position but I'd imagine she'd tell me that's her business. A bit like her religion really. Like it or not she's lost a lot of support because she allowed an interviewer to bully her into answering a question they knew fine well would cause her grief. Not very savvy in politics imo.

I don't think you need to be Mystic Meg to work that one out. 😉

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

I find it difficult to put my faith in someone who didn't have enough savvy to say my religion is private to me and will remain that way. I voted against the GRR as I felt it needed more work done on it. End of. Then to provide the opposition with so much ammunition by going on to criticise her own government was just jaw droppingly stupid.

Come the end of the campaign you see the difference in her, remember She came out of maternity leave on zero notice with a 6 months old bairn. It must have been overwhelming but she steadied and showed what she was capable of. The murrells orchestrated it so she would have as little chance as possible, it needs to be her

Edited by hampden_loon2878

Like phart, I want to know what the specific allegations are and not just generalised "it's been fixed" stuff. Of course it's possible to pochal election results. It happens all over the world and there is no reason why it can't happen here. But if these people know that something dodgy is going on, then tell what it is. In specific terms. The only confirmed thing I've seen so far is the Emma Harper emailgate thing. Which is pretty mild stuff really.

Edited by Orraloon

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Like phart, I want to know what the specific allegations are and not just generalised "it's been fixed" stuff. Of course it's possible to pochal election results. It happens all over the world and there is no reason why it can't happen here. But if these people know that something dodgy is going on, then tell what it is. In specific terms. The only confirmed thing I've seen so far is the Emma Harper emailgate thing. Which is pretty mild stuff really.

It's annoying cause if there are no specific things, it's just that stupid "stop the steal" rhetoric in America, which incidentally got defeated something like 40 times out of 40 in USA across multiple states.

In an election folk are allowed to favour a candidate , reacting to it not being you by shouting fix without any specific facts just makes you sound unhinged imo.

1 hour ago, phart said:

So stop the count cause John Swinney repeated himself?

What's the party machine? Have resources/money been given to Yousaf that haven't been afforded to the others?

Surely just list the differences , if it's just the fact that loads of the higherups have a preference that is totally normal in leadership campaigns, endorsements exist world-wide. If it's something else state what it is.

It's obvious most MP's and MSP's favour one candidate over the other though. That's normal in these things.

1 - Only one MSP candidate had advance warning that Sturgeon was going to resign

2 - The use of Parliamentary emails to send Vote Humza material to members

3 - Pop up activists and photo shoots to support Humza

4 - Majority of MSPs and MPs backing Humza when some said they would remain neutral

5 - Repeated endorsements like Swinney today

6 - Culture war used against Forbes and to a lesser extent Regan

7 - Smears against Forbes by the likes of Mhairi Black and others - letting their local members know that Humza was the only candidate to vote for

8- High Follower twitter accounts revealed as SNP staffer accounts supporting Humza and not tolerating dissent

9 - Daily Record endorsement

Edited by Ally Bongo

11 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

1 - Only one MSP candidate had advance warning that Sturgeon was going to resign

4 - Majority of MSPs and MPs backing Humza when some said they would remain neutral

7 - Smears against Forbes by the likes of Mhairi Black and others - letting their local members know that Humza was the only candidate to vote for

8- High Follower twitter accounts revealed as SNP staffer accounts supporting Humza and not tolerating dissent

So pretty much nothing then?

I'll give No.2, but all the rest amount to nothing.

11 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Apart from the use of parliamentary emails, none of these mean anything.

Let's run through it, so the vote should be stopped cause of repeat endorsement?

the vote should be stopped caused the Daily Record showed a preference, like every paper does every election in every country.

the vote should be stopped cause someone said they would be neutral then expressed a preference.

I'm sure in your head this sounds reasonable but to me it is the TAMB equivalent of

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/022/524/pepe_silvia_meme_banner.jpg

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

“I have worked for independence all my life and will continue to do so, albeit in a different capacity, until it is achieved – and I do firmly believe that independence is now closer than ever.”

He mustn’t be well to think independence is closer than ever. 

Well if we think temporally and assume independence does happen, then it's closer every moment. If we use time as a measurement. ;)

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Ok, if she's going to give an answer to everything I'd like to know her favourite sexual position but I'd imagine she'd tell me that's her business. A bit like her religion really. Like it or not she's lost a lot of support because she allowed an interviewer to bully her into answering a question they knew fine well would cause her grief. Not very savvy in politics imo.

That's a mental comparison 😂

She like lost support because of her honesty and her beliefs but no candidate will please everyone.