Scottish Cup 23 - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup 23

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Am I wrong in thinking the Dons actually started the season quite well? Seems a long time ago now. 

They did but quite a few fans knew the position was false, I still felt they were playing poorly and couldn't believe they were in 3rd position at one point

52 minutes ago, Debian said:

Questions of the players need to be asked.  However it does look like the Rangers 3.2 was absolutely killed them.  

Being told you’re not good enough to give Celtic some kind of a game at home probably blew any confidence they had, that was a shameful way to approach any game, the man’s tactics are non existent 🤬

50 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

They did but quite a few fans knew the position was false, I still felt they were playing poorly and couldn't believe they were in 3rd position at one point

Thanks, I was trying to figure out whether the beginning of the season was the real Aberdeen or whether the real Aberdeen has been the team of the last few weeks.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Shinnie was on the bench.

Aberdeen obviously *should* be able to beat a team from the sixth tier but...

There is a lot of money going into Darvel and they have more than a few players with SPFL experience, so they're probably a team that could compete in the Lowland League or League 2 but who are playing in the WoSFL.   They are also top of that league and are clearly a team that is full of confidence.

Aberdeen on the other hand have no confidence and rather than being a team look like 11 individuals.

If I were an Aberdeen fan, the thing that would be worrying me most is that they conceded relatively early on, so had plenty of time to recover, but they couldn't do so.  A friend of mine who is an Aberdeen fan told me that they dropped 17 points and lost a cup semi-final from winning positions in games this season and have picked up nothing from being in a losing position.  

Darvel have spent money, a lot of that is on facilities. I think folk overplay how much they pay though. Thelf owner is wealthy, he isn't the kinda wealth that will be paying £300-400 a week to players like some think though. They are more professionally run than many senior clubs though. Dressing rooms, coaching team,  level of sponsorship (they have sponsorship all over the place), investment in pitch, successful lottery, youth set up etc. 

Certainly not another Gretna.

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Darvel have spent money, a lot of that is on facilities. I think folk overplay how much they pay though. Thelf owner is wealthy, he isn't the kinda wealth that will be paying £300-400 a week to players like some think though. They are more professionally run than many senior clubs though. Dressing rooms, coaching team,  level of sponsorship (they have sponsorship all over the place), investment in pitch, successful lottery, youth set up etc. 

Certainly not another Gretna.

I wasn’t suggesting they were and I’m not suggesting they’re funding it on the never-never but they do have a significant number of players who’ve a decent level of experience playing at a higher level and they won’t be dropping down purely because the dressing rooms are good.  WoSL is a decent level and they could do with expanding the number of teams that are promoted and relegated. 

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

I wasn’t suggesting they were and I’m not suggesting they’re funding it on the never-never but they do have a significant number of players who’ve a decent level of experience playing at a higher level and they won’t be dropping down purely because the dressing rooms are good.  WoSL is a decent level and they could do with expanding the number of teams that are promoted and relegated. 

Plenty of players will sign with a club lower down on same  money if it suits them. Mostly Ayrshire/Glasgow based players.

Tbf more appealing playing for a club who are investing in infrastructure than somebody like Albion Rovers who will drop out the league for years when they eventually go down.

30 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Plenty of players will sign with a club lower down on same  money if it suits them. Mostly Ayrshire/Glasgow based players.

Tbf more appealing playing for a club who are investing in infrastructure than somebody like Albion Rovers who will drop out the league for years when they eventually go down.

And if they get £50 a week more somewhere else then that’s where 90% of players will go to, don’t kid yourself different. 

BTW, I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with this. 

Edited by aaid

1 hour ago, aaid said:

And if they get £50 a week more somewhere else then that’s where 90% of players will go to, don’t kid yourself different. 

BTW, I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with this. 

I'm not saying otherwise. I'm saying they don't spend anything like whet some would have you believe.

43 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm not saying otherwise. I'm saying they don't spend anything like whet some would have you believe.

Falkirk couldn't match what McShane was offered, but I know from speaking to Darren Miller he wasn't on what was being rumoured.  

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

In other news, Brownings were runners up in the World Scotch Pie Championships today, so quite a couple of days for John Gall.

Ex-Aberdeen player Frank McDougall says his former Dons boss Sir Alex Ferguson would have made the players walk home from Darvel if they had lost Monday's match as the current side did.

Can you imagine? 😮 There'd have been a few cuts and bruises to patch up before they left 😄

Fifth Round Televised Matches

Friday, 10 February, Kick-off 7.45pm; Hamilton Academical v Heart of Midlothian (Live on BBC Scotland)

Saturday, 11 February, Kick-off 5.30pm; Celtic v St Mirren (Live on Viaplay)

Sunday, 12 February, Kick-off 4.00pm; Rangers v Partick Thistle (Live on Viaplay)

Monday, 13 February, Kick-off 7.45pm; Darvel v Falkirk (Live on BBC Scotland)

1 minute ago, EddardStark said:

Absolutely. 

Despite them beating Aberdeen I will watch Darvel again. They deserved that win against Aberdeen and played some great stuff, they can beat Falkirk. Usually cup upsets are a backs against the wall win but Darvel's wasnt

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Despite them beating Aberdeen I will watch Darvel again. They deserved that win against Aberdeen and played some great stuff, they can beat Falkirk. Usually cup upsets are a backs against the wall win but Darvel's wasnt

Well said.

• 2 weeks later...