Indyref 2 (2) - Page 231 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

police Scotland have received 3000 hate crime complaints in 48 hours.  All of which will be investigated. they also need to clarify if records of said complaints are maintained.

the SNP are a joke of a party.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

police Scotland have received 3000 hate crime complaints in 48 hours.  All of which will be investigated. they also need to clarify if records of said complaints are maintained.

Yet this legislation was also backed by the Lib Dems and also by Labour. Undoubtedly they'll be no journalists asking questions of them and they'll retain a cowardly silence just as they did over GRR and DRS which those parties also backed in Holyrood.

And don't get me started on the Tories. The cynical might say they don't want the hate crime act to work as it would stop them demonising minority groups or they might point out the hypocrisy of the Tories who seem more than happy to stop people expressing their opinions when it comes to public protest.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Yet this legislation was also backed by the Lib Dems and also by Labour. Undoubtedly they'll be no journalists asking questions of them and they'll retain a cowardly silence just as they did over GRR and DRS which those parties also backed in Holyrood.

And don't get me started on the Tories. The cynical might say they don't want the hate crime act to work as it would stop them demonising minority groups or they might point out the hypocrisy of the Tories who seem more than happy to stop people expressing their opinions when it comes to public protest.

only imbeciles would come out with a policy to remove free speech.  Whilst I find some freedom of expression distasteful or repugnant, I absolutely defend peoples right to a voice.  Particularly when it threatens people merely stating scientific fact.

this firmly puts the snp beside the greens as a far left, student politics party.

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

In case you didn't open Ally's link above?

The CPS in England & Wales boast...

https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/default/files/inline-images/HCAW%20-%20social%20media%20infographics.png

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

only imbeciles would come out with a policy to remove free speech.  Whilst I find some freedom of expression distasteful or repugnant, I absolutely defend peoples right to a voice.  Particularly when it threatens people merely stating scientific fact.

this firmly puts the snp beside the greens as a far left, student politics party.

Just when I thought you couldn't go more gammon....you play the free speech card again. 

1. I don't think you understand that total free speech doesn't exist in any country, I'm pretty sure you and one other poster made complete idiots of yourselves over the free speech debate before.

2. I don't think you understand what the hate crime law is. Let's use your current poster girl JK Rowling. She didn't get arrested because she wasn't targeting someone because of their gender, disability or race. She was stating an opinion which had no hate in it. I agree with her by the way 

3. The only reason you are almost soiling yourself with hatred and anger is because the snp proposed it. Other parties voted for it too.

5 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

In case you didn't open Ally's link above?

The CPS in England & Wales boast...

https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/default/files/inline-images/HCAW%20-%20social%20media%20infographics.png

Poor malcolms head will be spinning now, present to some staunch unionists and they will explode. 

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

The OF are playing each other this coming weekend too. It could be hurty feelz overload 🤯 Talk about a baptism of fire!

I must admit my first, gut reaction to all this was it's a load of baloney, although also thinking it's danger is being ratcheted up for ulterior motives by certain online toerags for particular reasons...ching ching..  

However, apparently England have these non crime hate incidents as well and collect them.  So, im not really sure what the law really does here?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/non-crime-hate-incidents-code-of-practice/non-crime-hate-incidents-code-of-practice-on-the-recording-and-retention-of-personal-data-accessible

It all seems like a massive waste of energy for the legislators, the activists and the "concerned".   We already surely have laws to stop people unreasonably berating and abusing people?  

I wonder if any of this would have been put forward for legislation if some people didn't seem to spend half their lives arguing with randoms on twitter.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

1 minute ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I wonder if any of this would have been put forward for legislation if some people didn't seem to spend half their lives arguing with randoms on twitter.

Think a lot of problems can be traced back to the gist of this.

7 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I must admit my first, gut reaction to all this was it's a load of baloney, although also thinking it's danger is being ratcheted up for ulterior motives by certain online toerags for particular reasons...ching ching..  

However, apparently England have these non crime hate incidents as well and collect them.  So, im not really sure what the law really does here?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/non-crime-hate-incidents-code-of-practice/non-crime-hate-incidents-code-of-practice-on-the-recording-and-retention-of-personal-data-accessible

It all seems like a massive waste of energy for the legislators, the activists and the "concerned".   We already surely have laws to stop people unreasonably berating and abusing people?  

As far as I can see it's more making a mountain out of a molehill by the media, and other dafties. Most of the stuff in the new bill are already offences covered by other bits of legislation. One of the drivers behind this bill was to pull all that stuff together under one bit of legislation.

The main changes seem to be adding "age" to the list of protected groups, adding "stirring up hatred" as a new crime and, one that doesn't seem to get mention much, is that there is now no longer an offence of "blasphemy". 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

As far as I can see it's more making a mountain out of a molehill by the media, and other dafties. Most of the stuff in the new bill are already offences covered by other bits of legislation. One of the drivers behind this bill was to pull all that stuff together under one bit of legislation.

The main changes seem to be adding "age" to the list of protected groups, adding "stirring up hatred" as a new crime and, one that doesn't seem to get mention much, is that there is now no longer an offence of "blasphemy". 

YouGov mega poll of 19000 issued today. 

Labour: 403 (+201 since GE2019)
Conservatives: 155 (-210)
Lib Dems: 49 (+38)
SNP: 19 (-29)
Plaid: 4 (=)
Greens: 1 (=)
Reform UK: 0 (=)

Hunt, Mordaunt and Shapps all predicted to lose their seats. 

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

That's a bit grim for SNP but not grim enough for Tories. Be good to see back of Shapps. Wouldn't like to have someone in the armed forces and he's instrumental in their untimely demise...

5 hours ago, EddardStark said:

SNP have been sleep walking to this past few years. Sad to see but nobody buy themselves to blame.  Fucking grim going back to a unionist government in hollyrood but might be kick up arse snp need.

43 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

SNP have been sleep walking to this past few years. Sad to see but nobody buy themselves to blame.  Fucking grim going back to a unionist government in hollyrood but might be kick up arse snp need.

That's polling for the GE

However if Labour win the most seats in Scotland along the way to being the Westminster Government then it is likely they will at the very least be the majority party in Holyrood again

Unless of course the SNP get shot of Humza after a GE gubbiing - but i wouldn't bet on that they way the Holyrood SNP is

I would take YouGov poll with a massive pinch of saly. As someone stated earlier Scottish Labour have ywt to get candidates together for a number of Scottish seats so its daft to assume they will walk into seats with unknown candidates. I would say they are applying the poll result mostly carried out outwith Scotland and looking to apply them into Scottish results.

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

That's polling for the GE

However if Labour win the most seats in Scotland along the way to being the Westminster Government then it is likely they will at the very least be the majority party in Holyrood again

Unless of course the SNP get shot of Humza after a GE gubbiing - but i wouldn't bet on that they way the Holyrood SNP is

I know it is but if they fold like a house of cards at in  GE, then they certainly will lose government when the Holyrood elections come around.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would take YouGov poll with a massive pinch of saly. As someone stated earlier Scottish Labour have ywt to get candidates together for a number of Scottish seats so its daft to assume they will walk into seats with unknown candidates. I would say they are applying the poll result mostly carried out outwith Scotland and looking to apply them into Scottish results.

SNP got tons of seats in the last 10 years based on the party, not the candidate and that's evident given the lack of talent in the party. 

25 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

SNP got tons of seats in the last 10 years based on the party, not the candidate and that's evident given the lack of talent in the party. 

We shall see. Other polls have SNP at low 30s in seats with one supposedly (though do not know if it is yet to be released) having SNP on 41 seats so it all depends on what you want and desire to believe.

40 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We shall see. Other polls have SNP at low 30s in seats with one supposedly (though do not know if it is yet to be released) having SNP on 41 seats so it all depends on what you want and desire to believe.

I want to see SNP get as many seats as possible. 

I do however think there is a hell of a lot of complacency within the party. 

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I want to see SNP get as many seats as possible. 

I do however think there is a hell of a lot of complacency within the party. 

I just find that poll is too far off what other polls recently have predicted so cannot be taken as verbatim. Going from polling at high to low 30 seats in other polls suddenly down to 19. And the only thing of note to have happened in that time was passing of Hate Bill which I couldn't see making that much a difference (or shouldn't) as the rest of the UK has similar bills without any hoo-hah.

If the SNP sideline independence, they will get hammered - not necessarily by folk voting for yoon parties but more by folk just not voting.  Right now they don't have an appealing set of policies to pursue and in fact they don't seem to have anything to offer, indy aside and they are clueless about how to achieve that - Yousaf asking people to vote SNP and they will ask for a section 30 again doesn't cut it. Oh how we need a leader!

I reckon Yousaf has been manoeuvred into place by the British state.  He must be like a dream come true for them.  He has no drive. He focuses on the wrong issues.  With Yousaf in charge, indy is withering on the vine - people are just getting fed up waiting and nothing is happening.  We need better.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I just find that poll is too far off what other polls recently have predicted so cannot be taken as verbatim. Going from polling at high to low 30 seats in other polls suddenly down to 19. And the only thing of note to have happened in that time was passing of Hate Bill which I couldn't see making that much a difference (or shouldn't) as the rest of the UK has similar bills without any hoo-hah.

Probably to do with weighting.  Not the first time a large poll has come up with nonsense when it is applied to Scotland because the raw figures are wrongly weighted.

In any case once Labour are having to defend brexit and a load of other stuff (Sarwar will likely have to support tuition fees and prescription charges for example) their vote will likely fall back.  Nobody likes Starmer, and Sarwar just tries to be everything to everyone - campaigning for fair pay and in support of waspi women while his family business pays poverty-level wages and his party spent millions in Glasgow opposing these same women.  Labour support is being shored up by the MSM and BBC Scotland. Fuck them.

Edited by Alibi

4 minutes ago, Alibi said:

If the SNP sideline independence, they will get hammered - not necessarily by folk voting for yoon parties but more by folk just not voting.  Right now they don't have an appealing set of policies to pursue and in fact they don't seem to have anything to offer, indy aside and they are clueless about how to achieve that - Yousaf asking people to vote SNP and they will ask for a section 30 again doesn't cut it. Oh how we need a leader!

I reckon Yousaf has been manoeuvred into place by the British state.  He must be like a dream come true for them.  He has no drive. He focuses on the wrong issues.  With Yousaf in charge, indy is withering on the vine - people are just getting fed up waiting and nothing is happening.  We need better.

Sorry but what you say does not add up - if we are talking about independence here.

Polls on independence are still at the same sort of levels when even Salmond and Sturgeon were at the helm. I'd fully agree with you if support for independence had dipped below 40% but they have not. 

Yes polls for the upcoming GE have been worrying but is it wholly unexpected if you look at the wider picture? People are desperate to be rid of the Tories at Westminster and to be sure most will vote Labour. On top of that the SNP have, like the Tories, have been in power for over a decade and parties get stale no matter who you are and think that is a factor here and of course the supreme hatchet job the unionist media are playing is having a part to play too. 

The SNP are swimming against a tidal wave - difficult to succeed when so much is against you.