Ukraine v Scotland - discussion - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ukraine v Scotland - discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Not necessarily. If one or more league B group winners (including us hopefully) qualifies automatically their playoff spot would go to a League A team that did not qualify automatically or win their Nations League group. 

Indeed. You only need to look back at the play of paths for Euro 2020 to understand that most of the really big nations will qualify automatically. Below was the 4 paths for the 2020 play offs. I've put which pot they are in for the Euro 2024 qualifying draw and which Nations League each country will be in for the next Nations League 2023-24 . It's quite interesting to note that our path has done by far the best (3 teams gone all the way to League A and 3 into pot 2) and that you could easily find yourself with a harder play off game depending on where teams are in a cycle of players etc. Scotland should be very positive about qualifying automatically but it's huge to have a play off in our pockets.

Path A 

Iceland  League B and Pot 3

Bulgaria  League C and Pot 4

Hungary  League A and Pot 1

Romania  League C and Pot 3

Path B :

Bosnia  League A and Pot 2

Slovakia  League C and Pot 5

N.Ireland  League C and Pot 5

Rep. Ireland  League B and Pot 3

Path C :

Scotland  League A and Pot 2

Norway  League B and Pot 3

Serbia  League A and Pot 2

Israel  League A and Pot 2

Path D :

Georgia  League B and Pot 4

N Macedonia  League C and Pot 4

Kosovo  League C and Pot 4

Belarus  League D and Pot 5

Edited by Hendricks

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Yeah, fair enough. Was just trying to think of other meaningful/important 0-0 results. 

Belarus 0-0 away under WS in Minsk post Bertie ? ..... Dave Weir comeback ; seemed to recall we played most of the game in our penalty box ; pity about results after though

not the greatest side in the world either ; but remember thinking at time was a 'point gained' feeling

2 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Australia were a bit of a joke footballing nation tbh in 85 ; we made heavy weather of it as usual

Dave Mitchell was their "household" name 

ForwardDave Mitchell

And he was Scottish!  😄

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Also a big shout out to Jack Hendry. He has been superb in all three games and he has cemented his place in the side for me.

Aye he has been excellent. Centre half was a problem position for us as well as right back only a short time ago and now we appear to have some decent options there as well. 

45 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Indeed. You only need to look back at the play of paths for Euro 2020 to understand that most of the really big nations will qualify automatically. Below was the 4 paths for the 2020 play offs. I've put which pot they are in for the Euro 2024 qualifying draw and which Nations League each country will be in for the next Nations League 2023-24 . It's quite interesting to note that our path has done by far the best (3 teams gone all the way to League A and 3 into pot 2) and that you could easily find yourself with a harder play off game depending on where teams are in a cycle of players etc. Scotland should be very positive about qualifying automatically but it's huge to have a play off in our pockets.

Path A 

Iceland  League B and Pot 3

Bulgaria  League C and Pot 4

Hungary  League A and Pot 1

Romania  League C and Pot 3

Path B :

Bosnia  League A and Pot 2

Slovakia  League C and Pot 5

N.Ireland  League C and Pot 5

Rep. Ireland  League B and Pot 3

Path C :

Scotland  League A and Pot 2

Norway  League B and Pot 3

Serbia  League A and Pot 2

Israel  League A and Pot 2

Path D :

Georgia  League B and Pot 4

N Macedonia  League C and Pot 4

Kosovo  League C and Pot 4

Belarus  League D and Pot 5

Lets hope it takes the pressure off and we can go out to win matches rather than avoid defeat.

Cannot say anything other than what has already been said. Absolutely brilliant week to be a Scotland fan. Cannot remember the last time I saw us playing so consistently especially with so many players injured. I dont think it can be underestimated how important it is to now have this depth.

Looked like a great away support too. Pretty jealous not to be there even in the pishin rain. 

On the game, wtf is the point of this offside rule that is not flagged  immediately? It was ridiculous the number of times it was happening when Ukraine were attacking, which I suppose is testament to how well our defence played. But it is an utter shit rule. Can someone explain the supposed benefits of it , being a woman I don’t understand why it is necessary 🙂

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Cannot say anything other than what has already been said. Absolutely brilliant week to be a Scotland fan. Cannot remember the last time I saw us playing so consistently especially with so many players injured. I dont think it can be underestimated how important it is to now have this depth.

Looked like a great away support too. Pretty jealous not to be there even in the pishin rain. 

On the game, wtf is the point of this offside rule that is not flagged  immediately? It was ridiculous the number of times it was happening when Ukraine were attacking, which I suppose is testament to how well our defence played. But it is an utter shit rule. Can someone explain the supposed benefits of it , being a woman I don’t understand why it is necessary 🙂

I think its to stop linesman from stopping play when its a tight call. Obviously if a linesman flags offside and its not offside then thats unfair on the team attacking who might be in on goal.

Not 100 hundred percent but i think thats the reason. 

I reckon when its clearly offside the linesman should be allowed to flag immediately.

42 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think its to stop linesman from stopping play when its a tight call. Obviously if a linesman flags offside and its not offside then thats unfair on the team attacking who might be in on goal.

I reckon when its clearly offside the linesman should be allowed to flag immediately.

Yep that's it, because of VAR being able to check I think. 

But as you say when it's so obvious then it should be called or someone will get a bad injury chasing an unnecessary bit of play 

21 minutes ago, Kirk said:

But as you say when it's so obvious then it should be called or someone will get a bad injury chasing an unnecessary bit of play 

Yes that almost happened with Ukraine player last night. Player went down under a challenge in the area and stayed down for a moment or two holding his leg. 

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Not necessarily. If one or more league B group winners (including us hopefully) qualifies automatically their playoff spot would go to a League A team that did not qualify automatically or win their Nations League group. 

Don't think that's quite right. It's a highly unlikely scenario any but if by some highly unusual set of events 5 League A team failed to qualify directly then the bottom League A team would need all of the League B (or League C) group winners to qualify directly. Which could happen especially if 5 League A teams had failed to do it. A League B (or League C) group winner can't be in the same playoff path as a League A team.

Article 16..02 d.

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24/Article-16-Path-formation-play-offs-Online

"The remaining slots are then allocated to the best-ranked of the teams that have not already qualified for the final tournament on the basis of the overall 2022/23 UEFA Nations League rankings, subject to the restriction that group winners of Leagues A, B and C cannot be in a play-off path with higher-ranked teams."

It won't happen anyway so it's just a technicality rerally.

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes that almost happened with Ukraine player last night. Player went down under a challenge in the area and stayed down for a moment or two holding his leg. 

It's going to happen at some point for sure. Or someone tearing a hammy or something.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

👍

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Exactly . It may also force unnecessary yellow or red cards. 
It wasted a bit of time for us last night but that is not the purpose and IMO there are more risks than benefits to be gained. 

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

👍

Exactly . It may also force unnecessary yellow or red cards. 
It wasted a bit of time for us last night but that is not the purpose and IMO there are more risks than benefits to be gained. 

Yeah you can see the players getting frustrated with it at times too. Everyone can see it except the ones that make the daft rules 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Considering some of the evil, borderline criminal, assaults on our players last night, Hickey in particular, we maybe should've taken advantage of these "play-ons" to thud in with a couple of sickeners.  Not usually for things like that, but they were a right shower of dirty bstrds who could easily have had a couple of reds.

14 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Considering some of the evil, borderline criminal, assaults on our players last night, Hickey in particular, we maybe should've taken advantage of these "play-ons" to thud in with a couple of sickeners.  Not usually for things like that, but they were a right shower of dirty bstrds who could easily have had a couple of reds.

🤣 

No doubt one of our players would injure themselves trying that

54 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I thought ukraine were very thuggish and nasty in both games. 

12 hours ago, Kirk said:

My old boy said exactly that on Saturday. What would happen if a flag wasn’t raised until later, a player got a career endibg injury and a red card for the defender, does it all get scrapped because it was offside?