Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

5 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Really. A bye to the finals. Utter virtue signaling nonsense. So they get to the finals in November, but still can't compete. The hole that is being dug is getting bigger and bigger.The truth is Ukraine should have withdrawn.Very unfortunate, but true. It is after all only a football tournament, and it's getting more and more obvious that Ukraine won't be able to compete in it. 

Like I said not sure a bye would sit right with me but what is the other solution? We demand Ukraine be kicked out if they cannot fultil the fixture in June becoming social lepur in international football and seen as heartless. No thanks. A bye for them would also mean a bye for us to the final. If it turns out Ukraine are in no position to send a team to Qatar then mo damage is done to the other teams.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Like I said not sure a bye would sit right with me but what is the other solution? We demand Ukraine be kicked out if they cannot fultil the fixture in June becoming social lepur in international football and seen as heartless. No thanks. A bye for them would also mean a bye for us to the final. If it turns out Ukraine are in no position to send a team to Qatar then mo damage is done to the other teams.

Fifa/uefa should grow a pair and tell   Ukraine they should have to withdraw if they can't fulfill the fixture in June. Not up to us to demand Ukraines withdrawall, the governing body should. We never have any say in previous decisions. So, if we play in October then everybody else will know they have qualified by next week except those involved with the Ukraine situaution who will not know until a month or so before the world cup starts. Surely that's a disadvantage to them. It can't be right. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

How would a bye for Ukraine mean a bye for us in the play-offs? Are you suggesting they'd have one extra team in the World Cup Finals in this situation?

Edited by COLT NY

I'm going to sound really heartless here...but because there is conflict in Ukraine, we actually have people suggesting that the Ukranian FA should be handed a place at the World Cup? 

Utter baws, really.

There are a number of countries particularly on the African continent, but also in the middle East, that are currently seeing political unrest, warfare and terrorism. Do we give all these countries a free pass to the WC? Of course we don't.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If we lose to Ukraine then we don't deserve to be at a WC. 

In any normal circumstances I'd agree but this situation could possibly have an effect on both teams.  It wouldn't be unreasonable to imagine Scotland taking to the field feeling sympathy for Ukraine which could have a detrimental effect on our competitive edge.  Obviously you could say the same about Ukraine not being able to play well under the circumstances but imo it's more likely to galvanise them giving them an edge over us.  🤷‍♂️

I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter given the suffering that's going on over there, I just have a feeling this is going to end up working against Scotland when we had a bit of momentum going

40 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

How would a bye for Ukraine mean a bye for us in the play-offs? Are you suggesting they'd have one extra team in the World Cup Finals in this situation?

Seemingly that was discussed.

By the FA's, An extra team.

That would be the fairest way, and if they couldn't make the final it would be their choice and other teams would not be affected.

I would not rule this option out ATM 

28 minutes ago, stocky said:

That would be the fairest way, and if they couldn't make the final it would be their choice and other teams would not be affected.

Precisely. The four teams involved all discussed this with FIFA and I did not hear any complaints from any of the FA's. Ukraine would get a bye into the finals and one group would have five teams in it. As a result Scotland would get a bye into the final against either Wales or Austria. I am still waiting for anyone to come up with another solution if war continues to rage in Ukraine. Scotland would become loathed if they said to FIFA no byes we want them kicked out if they cannot play in June.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

37 minutes ago, stocky said:

Can't see that being too popular with the big teams. Whichever one of them get drawn in the group of 5 would have to play an extra game before playing England in the final.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Precisely. The four teams involved all discussed this with FIFA and I did not hear any complaints from any of the FA's. Ukraine would get a bye into the finals and one group would have five teams in it. As a result Scotland would get a bye into the final against either Wales or Austria. I am still waiting for anyone to come up with another solution if war continues to rage in Ukraine. Scotland would become loathed if they said to FIFA no byes we want them kicked out if they cannot play in June.

Would us Wales or Austria still have to wait until October then? Or would it be June? 

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It shouldn't be Scotlands decision - it should be fifa/uefa. 

The situation in Ukraine is clearly horrendous. However offering a team a bye because they're at war is not an option in my opinion. There are numerous other war torn countries around the world (Yemen, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Palestine). Why would it be fair to give Ukraine a bye but not these countries? 

As unfortunate as it is, if Ukraine aren't in a position to play the game by June, the answer should be that they have to forfeit the match. 

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Can't see that being too popular with the big teams. Whichever one of them get drawn in the group of 5 would have to play an extra game before playing England in the final.

Good one, if slightly improbable. They ain't going to be playing nearly all their games at wembley. 

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

The situation in Ukraine is clearly horrendous. However offering a team a bye because they're at war is not an option in my opinion. There are numerous other war torn countries around the world (Yemen, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Palestine). Why would it be fair to give Ukraine a bye but not these countries? 

As unfortunate as it is, if Ukraine aren't in a position to play the game by June, the answer should be that they have to forfeit the match. 

Exactly. The decision should be made by fifa/uefa. When have we ever had a say before? It should be June or that's it. 

11 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Good one, if slightly improbable. They ain't going to be playing nearly all their games at wembley. 

Gary Lineker, the jug eared clown, has already planned their way through to the final, and he is only counting on 6 games to get there.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

I did do I was against them getting a bye but if it resolves the fixture backlog then sobeit.

To be honest I cannot see UEFA/FIFA wanting to make that decision especially if they have sounded out the FA's of Scotland, Wales and Austria and they are alright with it. Again the bigger teams are not going to complain or else it makes them look really bad.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

😄

At least we'll be in the World Cup finals draw for a change. 

16 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A great bit of passing the buck by Fifa here. They know none of the clubs involved would have the balls to say no to giving Ukraine a bye. 

17 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'm going to sound really heartless here...but because there is conflict in Ukraine, we actually have people suggesting that the Ukranian FA should be handed a place at the World Cup? 

Utter baws, really.

There are a number of countries particularly on the African continent, but also in the middle East, that are currently seeing political unrest, warfare and terrorism. Do we give all these countries a free pass to the WC? Of course we don't.

It's not heartless at all. You are 100% spot on. 

They shouldn't get a bye out of sympathy. What us the decision in November if yhe fighting In Ukraine is ongoing? Ach, let's just put them in the last 16. 

IMO Fifa are afraid to make the decision for fear of looking heartless because its better to jump on the virtue signalling band wagon

3 hours ago, Mazda said:

What hypocrisy from our commentators ; wanted McGinn to take the  dive , then moan about the Polish dive.

But hey   'It's not in McGinns makeup to dive'  !!!

Aye

There was a difference though. There was contact with McGinn which threw him off his stride and if he had gone down it would have been a pen. The other incident - no contact. He dived.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There was a difference though. There was contact with McGinn which threw him off his stride and if he had gone down it would have been a pen. The other incident - no contact. He dived.

The ref can give a pen if he thinks it's justified , even if the player stays on his feet.

If you have to think about whether you fall over , it's cheating.

14 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

There is now talk 6 matches in total in June 4 nations league and 2 play offs .

That would be fairly mental at the end of a long season.

It would also be like playing a tournament in summer this year which sounds quite cool actually so kinda hope it happens tbh 😂