Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but wanting any forfeit just now with Ukraine they are in the position they are in is pretty low if you ask me. Feel sad that Scots feel that way to be honest.

FIFA/UEFA are doing the only decent thing giving Ukraine every possible chance to fulfill the fixture in the most trying and impossible circumstances you could imagine. They are a country under sieve and constant aerial bombardment - the very last thing they need is football's governing bodies putting the jack boot in too. Fixtures were postponed left, right and centre for months due to COVID so I don't see why the angst for postponing this one. Sure it most probably will not be over by June but then is the time for them to say Ukraine forfeit - not now.

As for the final point - okay fair enough but it then leads to an even greater fixture pile-up as, I take it, Czech Republic V Sweden semi will be postponed since Poland's match V Russia is off.

I agree. I think Ukraine need to be given whatever support they can by football’s governing boards. Ukraine’s request for a postponement is probably nothing more than vain hope that Russia have been forced to withdraw by then , you cant extinguish that hope just for a bit of inconvenience and expense of other country’s football fans. It may only be a game of football and I understand people saying Ukraine have bigger things to worry about, but agreeing to a postponement is a big statement not only in support of the country but in sharing in their hope and belief that things may have changed. Even if the belief is , ultimately, in vain. 

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but wanting any forfeit just now with Ukraine they are in the position they are in is pretty low if you ask me. I feel sad that Scots feel that way to be honest.

FIFA/UEFA are doing the only decent thing giving Ukraine every possible chance to fulfill the fixture in the most trying and impossible circumstances you could imagine. They are a country under siege and constant aerial bombardment - the very last thing they need is football's governing bodies putting the jack boot in too. Fixtures were postponed left, right and centre for months due to COVID so I don't see why the angst for postponing this one. Sure it most probably will not be over by June but then is the time for them to say Ukraine forfeit - not now.

As for the final point - okay fair enough but it then leads to an even greater fixture pile-up as, I take it, Czech Republic V Sweden semi will be postponed since Poland's match V Russia is off.

I agree. 

If the war had been ongoing for a few months,  then it would be more reasonable to expect game to go ahead in March.  It has only started.

No one knows with any certainty what the situation in Ukraine will be like in June. My guess is that it will be the same as now. Ukraine FA will probably get a squad together from abroad. 

I have no complaints with game being postponed until June.

The more I think about it the more you think why are the Ukrainians even bothered with the game. As has been said numerous times it’s just a football match. If the shoe was on the other foot I couldn’t give a f*** if we had a play off game coming up and I suspect the rest of the country would agree. Ukraine is going to take years to recover from this, and we’re probably no where near a conclusion. Football would be very near the bottom of the list for things to sort out.

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

The more I think about it the more you think why are the Ukrainians even bothered with the game. As has been said numerous times it’s just a football match. If the shoe was on the other foot I couldn’t give a f*** if we had a play off game coming up and I suspect the rest of the country would agree. Ukraine is going to take years to recover from this, and we’re probably no where near a conclusion. Football would be very near the bottom of the list for things to sort out.

The vast majority of Ukrainians won’t give a fuck. It’s the Ukrainian FA that has asked for the game to be postponed not the Ukrainian public. The Ukrainian FA is obviously hoping (probably in vain) that Russia will withdraw from Ukraine before June. 

If Russia were to withdraw in April or May and the Ukrainians had forfeited the match then they would be wishing that they had requested a postponement until June. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Dont shoot the messenger , I dont particularly want it either , but from the sounds of things it seems quite possible . 

No, i'm not getting at you. Just making the general point of why would we want a friendly against Poland? Who came up with idea anyway. Frendlies no thanks.

26 minutes ago, JECK said:

Exactly. 

13 minutes ago, thesaint said:

No, i'm not getting at you. Just making the general point of why would we want a friendly against Poland? Who came up with idea anyway. Frendlies no thanks.

UEFA/FIFA will want to fill the TV slot. It's all about TV money.

That game would also be of very little interest to me.

Somebody mentioned earlier that the Ukraine players (the ones who are available) might want to play it, as it could well be the last time they get to represent their country. 

If the nukes start flying it could be the last time we ever see Scotland playing.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Some of the selfish posts on this thread are absolutely staggering. 

Suggest the ones who are being selfish are those that are making this futile move to change the game to June knowing hundreds of fans have paid for flights,hotels etc for the game in March and the nations league games in June.Selfish because they know fine well come June Ukraine will still have to either play players who play in other countries or withdraw.They are quite willing to stuff it to the fans who have already paid money for flight etc,so they can feel good about themselves.Virtue signaling .I'm sure anybody in their right mind are with the people of Ukraine,but this particular issue is about football.What possible good is it going to do to delay the games until June and still end up with the same options that are available now.If anybody can explain what ACTUAL good will come of moving the game to June i am certainly willing to be educated.So uefa/fifa logic is lets cause chaos with fixtures and fans and move the game to June when we have a pretty good sense that the situation regarding Ukraine will be exactly the same,but hey it makes us feel good about ourselves.

If the comments from Srna are accurate that the game is being postponed to June thanks for Ceferin, he also mentions that he helped organise a train to get the players out of Ukraine and a temp transfer window. So seems like quite a big exercise to support them and get their players safe and playing football. I’ll take some of them at St. Mirren if they need a club. 🙂

Seriously though, I don’t know how that sits against the expectation that these men would be called up for the war? 

48 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Suggest the ones who are being selfish are those that are making this futile move to change the game to June knowing hundreds of fans have paid for flights,hotels etc for the game in March and the nations league games in June.Selfish because they know fine well come June Ukraine will still have to either play players who play in other countries or withdraw.They are quite willing to stuff it to the fans who have already paid money for flight etc,so they can feel good about themselves.Virtue signaling .I'm sure anybody in their right mind are with the people of Ukraine,but this particular issue is about football.What possible good is it going to do to delay the games until June and still end up with the same options that are available now.If anybody can explain what ACTUAL good will come of moving the game to June i am certainly willing to be educated.So uefa/fifa logic is lets cause chaos with fixtures and fans and move the game to June when we have a pretty good sense that the situation regarding Ukraine will be exactly the same,but hey it makes us feel good about ourselves.

There is a chance (even if it is a very small one) that Russia could withdraw from Ukraine before June. I very much doubt that will happen but you never know. 

41 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

There is a chance (even if it is a very small one) that Russia could withdraw from Ukraine before June. I very much doubt that will happen but you never know. 

Talking on the tv today saying this could be years rather than months.Tragic,but a bit of a pipedream thinking this will be over by June.The way i see it,we should be deciding on what Ukraine can do on 24th March and not on some imaginary scenario sometime in the future.

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Talking on the tv today saying this could be years rather than months.Tragic,but a bit of a pipedream thinking this will be over by June.The way i see it,we should be deciding on what Ukraine can do on 24th March and not on some imaginary scenario sometime in the   

It might take years but who actually knows?  Anything is possible. Someone in Russia could assassinate Putin in the next few weeks and that could change everything. Or the economic sanctions could cripple Russia so badly that Putin has no option but to pull out.

Even if Russia haven’t withdrawn before June, Ukraine will likely have a better idea of what players they have available and whether they can get any of their home based players out of the country or not. 

If FIFA make the decision most of us expect them to then we’re just going to have to accept it and see what happens later in the year. 

Edited by Texas Pete

7 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Brilliant, glad I booked early for Yerevan. They (not sure who they are) should be refunding the fans, I know war is bad and all, but there will really be no difference between now and June situationally just a car crash of a fixture headache that will affect 6 sets of supporters.

All because FIFA don’t have the balls to do the hard but right thing of rejecting Ukraines request. 

J

I can just see the forums in Ukraine moaning that they had booked flights to Glasgow and who is going to refund them. Get a grip of yourself. I share your frustration, but lets take a bit of perspective here.

Interestingly, according to the Ukrainian media, the Ukrainian FA have not actually put in a request to postpone the game, just to assess the situation.

Also the ticket site that was selling tickets for Ukraine fans, at the moment is only offering refunds to people based inside Ukraine, people outside of Ukraine it is still saying their tickets for the game are valid.

I suspect this may rumble on deeper into this week.

13 hours ago, jailender said:

How many of the players will volunteer to stay and fight? Seems like the whole country is pretty unified in this.

A lot of Sports people have signed up, as at the moment males between the age of 18 and 60 are denied permission to leave the country.

A number of boxers have signed up to fight, and been some footballers offering their services, but these are more helping out away from the front line (the Sheriff Tiraspol manager left Moldova last week and signed up to join the National Guard)... think there is one Dynamo Kyiv player at the front line (there is a fake photo going around that the whole Dynamo Kyiv squad signed up for the army, but its actually the Ultra's)

11 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Interestingly, according to the Ukrainian media, the Ukrainian FA have not actually put in a request to postpone the game, just to assess the situation.

Also the ticket site that was selling tickets for Ukraine fans, at the moment is only offering refunds to people based inside Ukraine, people outside of Ukraine it is still saying their tickets for the game are valid.

I suspect this may rumble on deeper into this week.

That’s interesting. Guess this thread may well end up being filed under “twisted knickers”.

You are right, no request, no postponement. 

Like has been said, if I were fighting on the streets of Edinburgh (alongside professional sports men and women), the last thing on my mind would be a playoff game. Couldn’t imagine the SFA being bothered either. 

J

32 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

That’s interesting. Guess this thread may well end up being filed under “twisted knickers”.

You are right, no request, no postponement. 

Like has been said, if I were fighting on the streets of Edinburgh (alongside professional sports men and women), the last thing on my mind would be a playoff game. Couldn’t imagine the SFA being bothered either. 

J

I am guessing Ukraine's attitude may very well be that if this game goes ahead (regardless if they win 1-0 or we win 5-0) its still the biggest two fingers up at Putin that Ukraine can keeping going on.

I am thinking the chances are more likely UEFA will probably side with postponement, but Ukraine will dig their heels in for the time being.

The Ukraine manager is 67 years old, so is free to travel outside of Ukraine.... do not be shocked if he brings Sheva (living in London these days) and Rebrov (coaching in the middle east) to help out with the coaching for the game.

14 hours ago, thesaint said:

It's great that you know what's going to happen between now and June. Well done

34 minutes ago, MikeyHead said:

It's great that you know what's going to happen between now and June. Well done

Of course nobody knows for sure. It's a forum for opinions, and that is my opinion. Obviously you have a different view. Come June we will know who was correct. 

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

Of course nobody knows for sure. It's a forum for opinions, and that is my opinion. Obviously you have a different view. Come June we will know who was correct. 

It’s my opinion as well if it’s any help.

J

Guest allyc
4 hours ago, rOsCo2 said:

I can just see the forums in Ukraine moaning that they had booked flights to Glasgow and who is going to refund them. Get a grip of yourself. I share your frustration, but lets take a bit of perspective here.

Yes dad. I don’t think anyone has difficulty telling the importance or the difference between a mass humanitarian crisis caused by war and a football match. But it would be nice to have a decision as the uk as it stands are on a peace time footing, are not being bombed by the Russians and going about our daily business in a normal manner. People just need to know so they can reorganise themselves in light of the situation. It’s like you dare not mention anything in case you offend someone

Edited by allyc