Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

29 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

why cant the Wales v Austria go ahead. I don't understand why it should also be delayed...

At least we would know who we would be playing if we win, and would make logistics for the final a bit easier..

That's a good point. It would be good to know.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Many fans have already paid out many, many, many hundreds of pounds for travel and hotels for the matches throughout the year; especially in June.

Five nights in a Glasgow hotel because we have 2 home matches; expensive.

Hotels in Dublin; extortionate (!)

Flights to Armenia: expensive. 

It's not about the Ukraine play-off being cancelled per se. It's about that play-off being moved and affecting other matches.

What if they move the Dublin and Yerevan matches to accommodate the play-off final?

Many fans have already committed to these trips.

Ukraine appear to have a good chunk of foreign based players (playing in top-tier leagues) who they can select from.

As I said yesterday, FIFA/UEFA need to be clear eyed. See things as they are; not as they would like things to be. 

Not moaning. Just discussing.

I'm not denying that this postponement will leave people out of pocket (me being one of them). However the idea that the SFA could use this as grounds for refusing to agree to the postponement is plainly ludicrous. They would, rightly, be absolutely crucified if they did. 

13 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I'm not denying that this postponement will leave people out of pocket (me being one of them). However the idea that the SFA could use this as grounds for refusing to agree to the postponement is plainly ludicrous. They would, rightly, be absolutely crucified if they did. 

By the media, but not by the paying punters, surely?

The fact of the matter is, Ukraine are in a position to collate a decent squad of players who play in England, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Poland, Hungary, etc...

Will be interesting to see what happens, UEFA/FIFA have a real decision to make, if they postpone then for how long? or are they going to replace Ukraine? it's a tough one. 

53 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

I guess it gives an arguably slight advantage to either Scotland or Ukraine, as they will know who they will play well before Wales/Austria will know who they are playing.

Nobody will know who they are playing until after our game has been played. No advantage to any country. 

The loser might not have to cancel it's June NL games either..

Lets assume the play offs in our group are moved to June along with the final, we would play Ukraine with the winner to play in the final a few days later, compare that with the Wales/Austria who play their game in March and the winner only plays once for the final in June, that seems like an advantage to me.  UEFA will have a fixture challenge just now as they plan their move, and any game they can get out of the way I see them doing it.  

8 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Lets assume the play offs in our group are moved to June along with the final, we would play Ukraine with the winner to play in the final a few days later, compare that with the Wales/Austria who play their game in March and the winner only plays once for the final in June, that seems like an advantage to me.  UEFA will have a fixture challenge just now as they plan their move, and any game they can get out of the way I see them doing it. 

Wales/ Austria winner would play a NL game when we are playing Ukraine....otherwise bigger fixture pile up.

4 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Wales/ Austria winner would play a NL game when we are playing Ukraine....otherwise bigger fixture pile up.

So they get a warm up game as well. Even bigger advantage. 😂

Doesn't matter what UEFA/FIFA decide, a lot of folk won't be happy. My view is that it should be played on the due date or not at all. But I tend to like simple solutions whenever possible.

36 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Nobody will know who they are playing until after our game has been played. No advantage to any country. 

The loser might not have to cancel it's June NL games either..

Scotland or Ukraine will know they are playing the winner of Wales v Austria, and therefore can focus their research on that one team. While Wales/Austria will need to do research on both Scotland and Ukraine until that game is played.

A minor advantage, but an advantage nonetheless.

8 hours ago, borojock said:

Agree with this totally, the lack of empathy from some is eye opening 

The way people are putting a game of football ahead of the war crimes that have been going on is astounding 

Im a massive fan i've been like a kid on Christmas day since the Danish game excitedly waiting for these playoffs and very hopefully we could do it, however in all reality playing a game of football to try and get to the world cup has suddenly become of little interest in the great scheme 

The ones who are moaning that they will be left out of pocket or will experience some inconvenience - well i hope you never have to experience what the Ukrainians are going through now  

Aye, but that works both ways. It's just a game of football to Ukraine as well. So with all the horrors that are happening in Ukraine, why are they making such a point of getting the game postponed. Surely they have more to think about. It's unfortunate,but they should let    those that can play get on with it. 

11 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Not being funny, but do Scotland not have a say in this? We surely must be consulted. I would like the SFA to take the great expense that fans would have gone to. As has been said, if not now then when. Field a team or 3-0 Scotland.

J

Jesus 😔

36 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Jesus 😔

Beginning to regret mentioning expense. Mia culpa. But they really need to leave the Nations league games alone. 

Point still stands though. If they can’t play now, I don’t think they will be able to play in a couple of months.

Play now or sadly forfeit. 

it’s just delaying the inevitable.

J

52 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Beginning to regret mentioning expense. Mia culpa. But they really need to leave the Nations league games alone. 

Point still stands though. If they can’t play now, I don’t think they will be able to play in a couple of months.

Play now or sadly forfeit. 

it’s just delaying the inevitable.

J

Couldn't agree more

3 hours ago, thesaint said:

Aye, but that works both ways. It's just a game of football to Ukraine as well. So with all the horrors that are happening in Ukraine, why are they making such a point of getting the game postponed. Surely they have more to think about. It's unfortunate,but they should let    those that can play get on with it. 

Exactly, 'just a game of football' when it fuckin suits

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

So they get a warm up game as well. Even bigger advantage. 😂

Doesn't matter what UEFA/FIFA decide, a lot of folk won't be happy. My view is that it should be played on the due date or not at all. But I tend to like simple solutions whenever possible.

Of course it should, if Scotland were at war we'd be punted in a Fifa heartbeat!

I can tell you there'll be absolutely no issue with or from us if our games have to be moved in June. 

If it wasn't for such terrible circumstances, we'd normally be delighted to spread out the international windows to include two games in November rather than the ridiculous four fixtures in 10 days in June. 

From an outside perspective, I would definitely agree with some on here if Ukraine were to fulfill this fixture, they would have more of a chance in March than in June and they don't realistically have a chance either month if we're being honest. The country has just been invaded and most of their squad are domestically based. It's just a non runner and wisely the SFA won't make that logical argument as there'd be some backlash. 

The WC group draw is at the beginning of April isn't it? Assuming they'll grant the initial postponement request despite the draw date, It's up to UEFA/FIFA to make the tough call in June if Ukraine still can't fulfill the fixture. 

1 hour ago, irish said:

I can tell you there'll be absolutely no issue with or from us if our games have to be moved in June. 

If it wasn't for such terrible circumstances, we'd normally be delighted to spread out the international windows to include two games in November rather than the ridiculous four fixtures in 10 days in June. 

From an outside perspective, I would definitely agree with some on here if Ukraine were to fulfill this fixture, they would have more of a chance in March than in June and they don't realistically have a chance either month if we're being honest. The country has just been invaded and most of their squad are domestically based. It's just a non runner and wisely the SFA won't make that logical argument as there'd be some backlash. 

The WC group draw is at the beginning of April isn't it? Assuming they'll grant the initial postponement request despite the draw date, It's up to UEFA/FIFA to make the tough call in June if Ukraine still can't fulfill the fixture. 

Surely its plain for all to see.Ukraine could at least get the game played in March,and with the players that play in europe have a fair chance.Come June  its pretty obvious the chance of them playing with anything but the same players that would be available in March is less than zero.It would be a crazy decision to postpone until June,it really would.

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Surely its plain for all to see.Ukraine could at least get the game played in March,and with the players that play in europe have a fair chance.Come June  its pretty obvious the chance of them playing with anything but the same players that would be available in March is less than zero.It would be a CRAZY DECISION to postpone until June,it really would.

That's exactly why Fifa will do just that!

11 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

£1k return from Dubai and Bahrain? I read a while back that consideration was being given to put on free day return flights from Dubai for anyone with a match ticket? 

This is FIFA though, your match ticket will probably cost £2k.

On 3/3/2022 at 11:39 PM, CelticGeordie said:

Postpone the match... we'll play the winner of Wales/Austria on the 29th so one of the three have provisionally qualified. Then if the opportunity arises Ukraine can then play the provisionally qualified team on a future date. If sadly Ukraine are still unable to play the fixture before an agreed set date the qualified team is already decided.

This is a wind up, aye?