Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 345 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

The few times I've watched McBurnie this season for Sheffield Utd he's been honking. A lump of wood who seems more interested in jumping into players than actually winning the ball.

Would much rather call up Conway or give Hardie a chance.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, csinclair said:

The few times I've watched McBurnie this season for Sheffield Utd he's been honking. A lump of wood who seems more interested in jumping into players than actually winning the ball.

Must have been different games than i have seen him in. Scored and was good when helping out at the back. Nothing startling but solid enough and definately not honking. 

36 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Take it your not a Sheffield United season ticket holder, they seem to have a different opinion.

Personally not convinced by Conway yet, but he does have age on his side.

54 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Ryan Hardie is nearly 27 and has played half a season in the championship, not sure on what planet that warrents an international call up.

Sadly thats our level when it comes to strikers. 

Also shankland is 28 and only really had 2 decent seasons in the top flight in Scotland. Most of his goals have come at a lower level yet nobody seems to mind him being called up. 

If hardie gets to 25 for the season then theres a good chance epl clubs come calling.

Also if we were to get injuries to 2 of our strikers who would be next in line to replace them? I can only think of Conway,Stewart and Hardie and it's looking like Stewart is already going to be out injured anyways so that leaves Conway and Hardie, unless you can name any other strikers deserving a call up?

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sadly thats our level when it comes to strikers. 

Also shankland is 28 and only really had 2 decent seasons in the top flight in Scotland. Most of his goals have come at a lower level yet nobody seems to mind him being called up. 

If hardie gets to 25 for the season then theres a good chance epl clubs come calling.

Also if we were to get injuries to 2 of our strikers who would be next in line to replace them? I can only think of Conway,Stewart and Hardie and it's looking like Stewart is already going to be out injured anyways so that leaves Conway and Hardie, unless you can name any other strikers deserving a call up?

Cant really argue with any of that other than to say MacBurnie should be in the squad ahead of all of them. Don't bother arguing the last point, I live in a little bubble that thinks that McBurnie is the best player in the world ever

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Cant really argue with any of that other than to say MacBurnie should be in the squad ahead of all of them. Don't bother arguing the last point, I live in a little bubble that thinks that McBurnie is the best player in the world ever

Yeh maybe mcburnie should be considered, especially if scores a few more in the epl.

Saying that I would rather give Conway a chance. He's young and I think theres a reasonable chance he will end up being a half decent epl striker.

Either way our options are pretty limited and we will have to keep looking to midfield for goals

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Point taken but McBurnie never looked half decent for us in 16 caps. Brown has had half as many chances and at least looked half decent in the friendly against France.

Looked half decent for 5 minutes, don't get carried away.

Sounds like Gilmour scudded someone in his game tonight. Radio thought it could have been a red 🤷‍♂️ don't think var even looked at it. Haven't seen it just reporting what I heard

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's not the same bubble that contains Adams and Dykes by any chance?🤣

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

Sounds like Gilmour scudded someone in his game tonight. Radio thought it could have been a red 🤷‍♂️ don't think var even looked at it. Haven't seen it just reporting what I heard

Never a red in a million years. VAR looked at it and rightly said it was fuck all.

Our concern right now should be our centre backs. We have nobody playing above English championship level and Porteous seems to be in and out of the Watford team. Players are desperate to leave the Saudi league and that doesn't say much for how good that league is.

How is Hanley getting on as I thought he was back though wasn't in the squad in Norwich's last game. 

12 hours ago, Kirk said:

Squirrelhumper's right, there was nothing to it. I felt Wolves - who looked set up to stifle Brighton and hit them on the break - tried to bully Gilmour in midfield but he was having none of it.

Gilmour, in the first half especially, had a great game last night. Think he got MotM too.

27 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Our concern right now should be our centre backs. We have nobody playing above English championship level and Porteous seems to be in and out of the Watford team. Players are desperate to leave the Saudi league and that doesn't say much for how good that league is.

How is Hanley getting on as I thought he was back though wasn't in the squad in Norwich's last game. 

I agree. If one thing is going to see us go home early it will be the defence.

27 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Squirrelhumper's right, there was nothing to it. I felt Wolves - who looked set up to stifle Brighton and hit them on the break - tried to bully Gilmour in midfield but he was having none of it.

Gilmour, in the first half especially, had a great game last night. Think he got MotM too.

I agree. If one thing is going to see us go home early it will be the defence.

We only conceded 8 goals in the qualifying campaign. Not bad going. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Conceding 8 goals in 8 games 😳 

Not sure S.Clarke and his team will be saying Not Bad?? It’s an improvement on previous campaigns possibly but I’d like us to be tighter!! 

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes when we had Robertson, Tierney and Hickey out injured.

And this is damming, when we have Robertson Tierney Hickey out of the Team. Kinda shows we don’t have that depth and strength……. 

Some good news on Robertson though, the injury will have been a hinderance and something he’d have wanted to avoid but going into June hopefully he’ll be fresher than he would have been 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

IMG_3698.jpeg

3 hours ago, bigfingers said:

For me, the most important thing is the number of chances we let the opposition have rather than goals conceded. Even Cyprus managed to cut us open a few times away and pretty easily at that. I think our best defensive performance was probably against Norway despite the fact we conceded. 

My big fear is that we end up quickly 2-0 down at the Euros because of this.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Any team in world football missing the quality of Robertson, Tierney and Hickey will struggle not just Scotland.

That is true but the drop off is pretty big. Patterson is nowhere near as good a defender as Hickey and Greg Taylor is, well, Greg Taylor.  The hope would be that Hickey can move to the left if Robertson gets injured (as against Spain) and Patterson can go on the right. I just wish we had a replacement for Tierney.

2 hours ago, broraboy said:

Not sure S.Clarke and his team will be saying Not Bad?? 

Aye ,but 3 were in last game ,or 5 in last two games, when we had already qualified.

So excellent really.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

3 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

That is true but the drop off is pretty big. Patterson is nowhere near as good a defender as Hickey and Greg Taylor is, well, Greg Taylor.  The hope would be that Hickey can move to the left if Robertson gets injured (as against Spain) and Patterson can go on the right. I just wish we had a replacement for Tierney.

Surely we must experiment with a back four in the pre-Euro friendlies. If Tierney is missing, the 3 CB’s & 2 wing backs formation just doesn’t work. We lose the attacking interplay between Robertson & Tierney. Our other CBs aren’t playing or impressing at the moment and don’t have Tierney’s ability to carry the ball out if defence. We also have an abundance of good midfielders, so to sacrifice one of them to play 3 CBs without Tierney makes me think of the Czech game in the last Euros.

48 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Surely we must experiment with a back four in the pre-Euro friendlies. If Tierney is missing, the 3 CB’s & 2 wing backs formation just doesn’t work. We lose the attacking interplay between Robertson & Tierney. Our other CBs aren’t playing or impressing at the moment and don’t have Tierney’s ability to carry the ball out if defence. We also have an abundance of good midfielders, so to sacrifice one of them to play 3 CBs without Tierney makes me think of the Czech game in the last Euros.

We have shown time and time again that we cant play 4 at the back. Our defensive is all over the place and our midfield offer no cover.

Id rather we try and find a replacement for Tierney such as Kinglsey or maybe even Hickey. Its important that we get somebody who can offer similar attributes to Tierney without changing our overall setup.

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes when we had Robertson, Tierney and Hickey out injured.

9 hours ago, broraboy said:

Not sure S.Clarke and his team will be saying Not Bad?? It’s an improvement on previous campaigns possibly but I’d like us to be tighter!! 

And this is damming, when we have Robertson Tierney Hickey out of the Team. Kinda shows we don’t have that depth and strength……. 

Some good news on Robertson though, the injury will have been a hinderance and something he’d have wanted to avoid but going into June hopefully he’ll be fresher than he would have been 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

IMG_3698.jpeg

We were missing Gunn as well for the last 2 games and I am certain that 1 or 2 of those goals are not conceded with him in net instead of Clark.

Up until the last 2 games our defence was the best I had seen since the late 90s. Most games we were absolutely watertight and 1 of the goals we conceded was a dodgy pen that shouldn't have been imo.

Apart from that we only conceded 2 goals to Spain away from home.

If we can go into the euros with most of the guys who formed that defensive line up for the first 5 games of qualifying then I would be very happy and confident that we can keep clean sheets.