Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 185 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

11 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Ben Woodburn played for Liverpool at 16 and scored for Wales. Last season at hearts on loan and now at Preston. He’s 22. 

Sure there’s hundreds of similar stories. 

Indeed. Mark Fotheri gham and Jack Aitchison played for Celtic at 16 (Aitchison scored) but what happened to them? Plenty others too. He does look good but let’s see him in a first team before getting too excited 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think maybe we are looking at this from the wrong angle. He got played in an old firm game to persuade him to stay. Let's take a step back and think about what that actually means. Celtic realised they had such a supreme talent that they were willing to throw him into the deep end at such a young age to try and hold onto him. Has that happened before?

Many minutes did he play in that game?

On 10/13/2022 at 3:58 PM, er yir macaroon said:

What problem? Why does there always have to be a problem?! 

The 'problem' with judging young players based on the level of hype I suppose. The narrative around Doak isn't necessarily helpful or accurate and the level of hype is probably disproportionate because of that. I don't think anyone here is disagreeing that he is supremely talented nor is anyone saying he won't go on to be an absolute top-drawer player, but I think what we are saying is it is too early to say he is one now or to say for certain he will be one.

For what its worth, I think he will play first team minutes for Liverpool this year. I also think he will be an EPL level player, therefore also a Scotland cap. The absolute limit of his talent is too hard to say now though as he hasn't played enough adult football to give us an insight.

9 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

The 'problem' with judging young players based on the level of hype I suppose. The narrative around Doak isn't necessarily helpful or accurate and the level of hype is probably disproportionate because of that. I don't think anyone here is disagreeing that he is supremely talented nor is anyone saying he won't go on to be an absolute top-drawer player, but I think what we are saying is it is too early to say he is one now or to say for certain he will be one.

For what its worth, I think he will play first team minutes for Liverpool this year. I also think he will be an EPL level player, therefore also a Scotland cap. The absolute limit of his talent is too hard to say now though as he hasn't played enough adult football to give us an insight.

I will be very happy if he turns into a lower half epl player. We dont produce many epl quality wingers or forwards and someone who is similar standard to ryan fraser but who actually turns up regulary for squads would be great.

Obviously the hope is he turns into a gareth bale superstar but thats pretty unlikely.

12 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

James Forrest with a hattrick today... let's not re-open that debate though.

Lewis Morgan with his 18th goal of the season. If we are having friendlies during the World Cup break, you'd think he and some other fringe players will get a shot since it's not like it will disrupt their season anyway.

I agree. It is time to look at other options up top. Lewis Morgan is in great form and well worth a look - moreso than others that may make the squad such as Jacob Brown or Oli McBurnie.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree. It is time to look at other options up top. Lewis Morgan is in great form and well worth a look - moreso than others that may make the squad such as Jacob Brown or Oli McBurnie.

I think since we have a very rare friendly, it would be a good time to try out a back-up system that includes out-and-out wingers. 

The issue is that we really only get around 10 games per year. So if we are literally only playing Turkey between now and March, it might be more worthwhile getting some players another cap under their belt e.g Patterson, Hickey, and gelling the core of the squad. Morgan would need to leave the US, you'd think, if he wants to be a regular squad player.

8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think since we have a very rare friendly, it would be a good time to try out a back-up system that includes out-and-out wingers. 

The issue is that we really only get around 10 games per year. So if we are literally only playing Turkey between now and March, it might be more worthwhile getting some players another cap under their belt e.g Patterson, Hickey, and gelling the core of the squad. Morgan would need to leave the US, you'd think, if he wants to be a regular squad player.

Well Johnny Russell was a regular squad player even though he had moved to the States but I don't think that was under Clarke. The thing is Morgan is probably having the time of his career in the States so why would he want to end that?

35 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well Johnny Russell was a regular squad player even though he had moved to the States but I don't think that was under Clarke. The thing is Morgan is probably having the time of his career in the States so why would he want to end that?

Clarke picked Russell at the start of his tenure, but we had a much smaller pool back then. It's actually quite incredible how much the squad has grown since we played Cyprus in 2019. Eamonn Brophy started that match and Mark McNulty was on the bench.

I think people are getting carried away with Lewis Morgans scoring stats, got to take into account 6 of them were penalties for a start.

The two main stats sites have him scraping into the top 50 players in the MLS despite his goals,

Poor passer, tackler and header of the ball it would appear and that's in what might be a pretty weak league.

3 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Matt Phillips scored for West Brom yesterday; only his fourth goal since the start of last season. I imagine he's no longer in serious consideration anyway, but could be an option if he gets some form going.

We won't be seeing Phillips again.

If we are hit with a number of injuries and suspensions it will be (younger) players like Alan Campbell, Scott Wright, Barrie McKay or Alan Forrest that Clarke will turn too in that position.

One goal in a friendly match aside, Phillips was poor when he played for Scotland.

30 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Dom Hyam was unreal again for Blackburn, no idea how he has not been called up.

If Jack Hendry doesn't recover from his present injury, you might see Hyam playing against Turkey.

Hyam was definitely watched by SFA scouts whilst at Coventry last season (so was Rose) so they do know about him.