Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 172 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

We don’t have an abundance of good central midfielders, especially ones who can play on the left. Turnbull is also quite young and one for the future so I’d have him in the squad. Noticed Gilmour isn’t in the Brighton squad today, I’ve no idea how his fitness and  conditioning is, how long it will take him to get up to speed. Hopefully not too long as we have games coming up soon. 

BBC saying he's on the bench. Sky saying he's not. 

44 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yep Turnbull shouldn’t be in the squad. Guys like him and Ryan Jack who aren’t regulars for their clubs shouldn’t be in at present 

agreed.

we are struggling for a proper defencive midfielder now.  Might be tempted to put tierney in there, but that removes his forward threat.

Just reading through the responses for CB or Defensive mid. 3 players that have been on top form the last couple of seasons and pity we have no friendly but could be giving a chance with Injurys and lack of game time for some and all have started well this season.

Tom Mcintyre, Reading currently top 2 in the championship, he was Injured most of last season, has played LCB, LB  and DM, but always starts. 

Dom Hyam, was in the champs top 3 defenders last year for stats, won a move to Blackburn. 

Age against the last one but a consistent performer in the championship and seems to cover every position Kal Naismith at Bristol City.

6 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Werder Bremen win 2-0 away at Bochum. 0-0 when Burke comes on in the 74th minute. He plays a guy in to provide a cross for first and he got brought down for the penalty for the second. Quite the impact sub!

That's fantastic!
Got to hand it to the Werder Bremen coaches.  I guess they saw something in him and signed him up for the impact sub role. So far it looks like he's relishing the role.

i get the feeling Tierney may now be a bench option for Arsenal which is a negative for us. With partey out was hoping zinchenko would move into midfield to cover but hasn't and tierney on Bench 

Great to see McBurnie score again - do we have a more inform striker this season (slight tongue in cheek comment)

46 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

McTominay's last three games in DM

Screenshot_20220904-155315_FotMob.jpg

Screenshot_20220904-155331_FotMob.jpg

Screenshot_20220904-155349_FotMob.jpg

I’d really like to play McTominay as a box to box midfielder with a defensive midfielder sitting behind him. 
Did you watch the Merseyside Derby yesterday?  Everton have bought a midfielder from Lille (I think) called Onana, he looks an almost identical player to McTominay. Everton played 4/3/3 with Onana as the holding defensive midfielder and he was good. Later in the game they brought on another new signing Gueye, a defensive midfielder, a player that was previously at the club then moved to PSG and now back to Everton. Anyway Gueye was brought on to replace Tom Davis, who was playing on the right side of the midfield 3. Gueye moved to defensive midfield and Onana moved the the right-side of the 3 and was allowed to play as a box-box midfielder, he looked better than when he was playing as the defensive midfielder. I think the same would be true for McTominay. 

18 hours ago, mcguffin said:

According to this clockwatch, Ollie Burke came on for Werder Bremen vs Bochum in the 74 minute. Won a penalty in the 91st.
Seems Werder are using him exclusively as an 'impact sub' coming on very late in games. Early in the season still, but he does seem to be able to make things happen.

Could he fulfill a similar role for us? (Or, regardless of his ability, is it too much of a luxury to use up a squad slot for an 'impact sub' type player?)

Assuming Adams starts I would much prefer Burke to come on from the bench than Dykes, Brown or Stewart. 

Having said that I would probably prefer any of the other three to start

I think having Burke in the squad at the expense of Dykes and Brown would be the best option. 

40 minutes ago, borojock said:

i get the feeling Tierney may now be a bench option for Arsenal which is a negative for us. With partey out was hoping zinchenko would move into midfield to cover but hasn't and tierney on Bench

Football is a strange thing. Six months ago who would have thought we'd have two right backs playing in the EPL whilst our two world class left backs were sat on the bench.

Completely off topic but cba starting a thread just for this.  But I was just discussing free kicks with my boy and he asked when we last scored direct from a free kick.  I concluded that it was Griffiths against England 5 years ago!  Surely I'm missing 1 or 2 am I?

Edited by todd

i think we will be looking like a back 5 of

patterson Mctominay xxx. Tierney roberston

where xxx = most in form stopper we have.  Personally I would prefer Mctominay in midfield but we have a distinct lack of centre half’s.

Even something like, hendry McKenna tierney, allowing Mctominay to play midfield beside mcgregor.  Ideally we would have three great centre half’s with tierney and Robertson competing for left back, and Mctominay in the middle.

1 hour ago, todd said:

Completely off topic but cba starting a thread just for this.  But I was just discussing free kicks with my boy and he asked when we last scored direct from a free kick.  I concluded that it was Griffiths against England 5 years ago!  Surely I'm missing 1 or 2 am I?

Stuart Armstrong scored one against San Marino at Hampden (it was pishing down with rain) back in September/October 2019.

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Mctominay been one of Utds best players again. 

strange moment in the arsenal disallowed goal where arsenal pick the ball up on the half way line he turns round and runs away from the ball, ball passes him by and hes completely taken out of game 

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Stuart Armstrong scored one against San Marino at Hampden (it was pishing down with rain) back in September/October 2019.

Aye, the goalie picked up the baw ootside the box 

Goal no 6 I think

21 minutes ago, stocky said:

Aye, the goalie picked up the baw ootside the box 

Goal no 6 I think

I remember Armstrong stepped up very casually to take it and seemed to flick it into the net.

During the second half, the San Marino boss unsuccessfully tried to persuade the ref to abandon the match because the rain had become torrential. Cheeky bugger.

Edited by ErsatzThistle