Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 29 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I think you guys should just message each other about it if you want to continue as you are tbh. 

Rest of us are trying to discuss Scottish players playing football 👍🏾

On the contrary, the recent conversation has been highly revealing about the tolerance levels towards sectarian abuse of Scotland players by a cross section of our fellow posters.

Why suppress it?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Brugge were brilliant, really got in the faces of the psg stars and they played some nice football as well. Still going to be tough to get out of that group but third is defo achievable then they could go on a europa cup run. 

It's excellent experience for Hendry overall. 

Did the wing backs get up the pitch? 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I don’t care about the conversation - it’s just draining for the majority of us who want to discuss our players which is the title of this thread.

If this was about one of our players at the beginning of this discussion, it’s certainly not now.

Hounding anyone who suggests let’s keep on topic etc is a bit much also.

I didnt realise you spoke for the board, thanks for clarifying. 

I'm also not hounding you. 

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Brugge were brilliant, really got in the faces of the psg stars and they played some nice football as well. Still going to be tough to get out of that group but third is defo achievable then they could go on a europa cup run. 

It's excellent experience for Hendry overall. 

Agreed. That's the way "wee teams" in the Champions League should play at home against big guns. Much better than the passive namby-pamby approach Celtic had the last they were there.

25 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Ralston, Montgomery & Turnbull start for Celtic in the Europa league.

Welsh on the bench, shame he’s lost his place at present. 

especially since Starfeldt hasn't exactly looked convincing since signing. Don't think Welsh has done anything wrong this season when i've watched them.

46 minutes ago, csinclair said:

especially since Starfeldt hasn't exactly looked convincing since signing. Don't think Welsh has done anything wrong this season when i've watched them.

Neither has Carter-Vickers, not on tonight's showing anyway.

Turnbull had a good first half and Montgomery looks promising too - great balance.

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Left back? 🤣

Not tonight.  Apparently Celtic have another one coming through the ranks though who's being compared to Tierney.

Ralston can't be far away from the next Scotland squad if he keeps up his start to the season.  Weighing in with goals as well.  Good to see options for the right side of the park starting to appear.

Club Brugge were great to watch on Wednesday. Really exciting and talented team, their big number 90 up front, I'd have paid £40m to sign him at full time, what a player - I think 7 of their 11 were under 26 too. 

Hendry was excellent. There was one error that I can recall, the rest of it very very good. I hope his confidence is through the roof, he deserves all the success and praise. 

Ralston did well in spells today, I fear he'll end up on the bench even with this goal scoring prowess- he should be called up for his ability to score corners and headers. 

Montgomery was excellent. Turnbull? Not seen enough but is he a superstar in the SPFL but pretty average against better players? I'm open minded and like I said, not seen enough but the times I have in big games I've been a bit meh about him. 

5 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Club Brugge were great to watch on Wednesday. Really exciting and talented team, their big number 90 up front, I'd have paid £40m to sign him at full time, what a player - I think 7 of their 11 were under 26 too. 

Hendry was excellent. There was one error that I can recall, the rest of it very very good. I hope his confidence is through the roof, he deserves all the success and praise. 

Ralston did well in spells today, I fear he'll end up on the bench even with this goal scoring prowess- he should be called up for his ability to score corners and headers. 

Montgomery was excellent. Turnbull? Not seen enough but is he a superstar in the SPFL but pretty average against better players? I'm open minded and like I said, not seen enough but the times I have in big games I've been a bit meh about him. 

Regarding Turnbull, he played the through pass which started the move for the first goal. Made the assist for the penalty. And put in a beautiful delivery for the 3rd. He was instrumental in all 3 Celtic goals, away from home, against a top class Spanish side. What else do you expect from him?

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Regarding Turnbull, he played the through pass which started the move for the first goal. Made the assist for the penalty. And put in a beautiful delivery for the 3rd. He was instrumental in all 3 Celtic goals, away from home, against a top class Spanish side. What else do you expect from him?

not sure about turnbull yet. He looks a neat and tidy player but unfortunately for him centre mid is our strongest area.  Going to be hard for him to displace gilmour, Mctominay and Mcginn. If he can get a move to a top EPL club that would help him.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

not sure about turnbull yet. He looks a neat and tidy player but unfortunately for him centre mid is our strongest area.  Going to be hard for him to displace gilmour, Mctominay and Mcginn. If he can get a move to a top EPL club that would help him.

He's more competing with McGinn than the other 2, I'd say. Our current formation doesn't lend itself to attacking midfielders, unfortunately. So it's pretty much just McGinn, who will always start when fit. But Turnbull is still very young (22), so plenty of time for him to make his mark for Scotland. 

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

He's more competing with McGinn than the other 2, I'd say. Our current formation doesn't lend itself to attacking midfielders, unfortunately. So it's pretty much just McGinn, who will always start when fit. But Turnbull is still very young (22), so plenty of time for him to make his mark for Scotland. 

hope so.  McGinn brings something most of our other players don’t have which is a harrying aggression, similar to Scott brown but further up the park.  We miss that when he is not playing.

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Ross Stewart touted for a call up in the press today. I’ve never seen him play… an upgrade on nisbet? 

don’t know much about him….  but Ross county to Sunderland doesn’t inspire me as Scotland level.  

I think we play better with two strikers and one behind so i imagine Clarke is desperate to find options.

11 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

I was keen to see how Turnbull fared against genuinely good opposition and last night I thought he did very well indeed. His passing, long and short range, was accurate and his free-kicks and corners were dangerous. I think he took the free-kick from which Celtic scored their third.

As far as Scotland is concerned I think he's some way down the pecking order still but he's young and he has the potential to improve.

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Ross Stewart touted for a call up in the press today. I’ve never seen him play… an upgrade on nisbet? 

He's a tall, target-man striker who's currently scoring freely for Sunderland, which sounds good, except they play in the English third division!

If he can get them promoted and continue scoring freely in the Championship then I think he'd be worth taking a look at but at the moment I don't think he'd be an upgrade on what we already have.

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

When he came on against Moldova he did inject some urgency, drive and directness into attacking moves that had been soporific in the second half so definitely a good impact player at the very least and gives us good options when we are struggling to score - which does seem to be a problem for us. 

33 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I was keen to see how Turnbull fared against genuinely good opposition and last night I thought he did very well indeed. His passing, long and short range, was accurate and his free-kicks and corners were dangerous. I think he took the free-kick from which Celtic scored their third.

As far as Scotland is concerned I think he's some way down the pecking order still but he's young and he has the potential to improve.

He's a tall, target-man striker who's currently scoring freely for Sunderland, which sounds good, except they play in the English third division!

If he can get them promoted and continue scoring freely in the Championship then I think he'd be worth taking a look at but at the moment I don't think he'd be an upgrade on what we already have.

Even when Turnbull is not playing well, he's still worth having on the pitch for his set pieces alone. That's a luxury Celtic can afford, but I'm not sure Scotland can. However, aside from his set pieces, he is a tremendous driving force through the middle. I sometimes wonder 'what if' he had scored that shot against the Netherlands. He'd maybe already be getting significant game time.

Rhodes scored like 45 goals in league 1. We were all screaming out for him to be included. But once he was in the Championship he just looked a similar standard to Ross McCormack. I imagine this year will come to soon for him, but I'm eager to see how he progresses at Sunderland if/when they get promoted.