Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats a little harsh on the guy, he's started really well this season and he's still only 22. If he does become celtics permanent no. 1 right back then he deserves a chance in the squad imo. Patterson has only played 1 match so far this season and has barely played much football in his career so he's not exactly a guy who should be guaranteed a squad place until he plays more regulary at club level. 

Also I am pretty sure ralston did well at Dundee United. End of the day we are not in a position to rule out a 22 year old as someone who will never be good enough when he's clearly playing well and improving. 

If I remember rightly people weren't very impressed with him at Dundee United.

As you say though he has started the season really well and if he continues like this he is well worth looking at.

I really can't fathom the way some people view football.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats a little harsh on the guy, he's started really well this season and he's still only 22. If he does become celtics permanent no. 1 right back then he deserves a chance in the squad imo. Patterson has only played 1 match so far this season and has barely played much football in his career so he's not exactly a guy who should be guaranteed a squad place until he plays more regulary at club level. 

Also I am pretty sure ralston did well at Dundee United. End of the day we are not in a position to rule out a 22 year old as someone who will never be good enough when he's clearly playing well and improving. 

That has been one of our biggest failings the last few decades. Where young players are written off and deemed not good enough, only for us to "rediscover" them at 27 or 28 and we are astonished that they are international quality. Barry Robson and Paul Hartley spring to mind, but there are dozens more.

I'm not saying that the national team write them off, per se, but their clubs probably did. Replaced them with foreign players because the Scot "wasn't ready". I mean, Charlie Mulgrew had to leave Celtic before Lennon came in and made him his first signing because he knew what Celtic had stupidly let go.

Ralston may not make it, but Ange is certainly giving him a fair whack of the stick.

Disappointed that despite their good performances against Dunfermline, Bassey starts tonight but Patterson doesn't, especially since Tavernier has been pretty pretty indifferent in the games i've watched of late.

Must be disheartening as well for Kelly to hear Gerrard harping on about how they need another midfielder....
Edit: Just seen they've signed Bacuna

Edited by csinclair

On 8/16/2021 at 10:21 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Pity he was playing left back! has played as a holding midfielder too so must be a pretty good all round player.

He's been pretty highly rated for a few seasons by Reading and someone on here said that Reading try to protect their young assets hence the lack of game time.

George Johnston and Ross McCrorie kept him on the bench for the under 21's I think.

I think that just shows how poor a judge of players Gemmell is than anything else.

He keeps players far too long in qualifying squads. Hickey and Doig were playing week in and out and 2 Ayr United LBs kept them out. Then never playing Patterson as a RB. His list of poor decisions is far too long to list.

Gemmell was talking about his career ambitions recently. Hopefully he is looking to get onto club management and some club is stupid enough to take him on.

Even if he was to leave I fully expect Stark or some other honking long ball merchant to take over the role.

23 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Wright must be pushing for a squad place at least now.

Still too early for me. If he keeps improving and becomes a regular starter, then I think he would be in with a shout.

Right now he is playing far better than Kent and deservedly replaced Kent at halftime. Kent should be benched with Wright taking his place on Sunday.

Gerrard likes soundbytes about players coming in, impressing and keeping their place. We'll see if that is the case come Sunday.

He did it with Bassey over Barisic but Barisic isn't a Gerrard favourite almost undropable like Kent (& Tav with keeping Patterson out despite playing poorly).

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not harsh at all. Just realistic. 2 or 3 good games for Celtic shouldnt get you in the running for a call up. He was horrible at Dundee Utd. Emded up not even being a consistent starter for them 

Paterson has consistently played well for Rangers when he has played and also performed well for the U21s. He is being kept out the side by a very good player.

Ralston is only playing because Celtic literally have nobody else atm. They are in the market for a right back. If Ralston keeps the new signing out of the team and goes onto have a cracking season then fair enough, have a look at him but thats highly unlikely to happen given what we have seen on him to date.

17 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

He was horrible at Dundee Utd. Emded up not even being a consistent starter for them 

This is completely untrue.  He joined Utd on 20th March 2018 and was on loan to the 11th May.  In those seven weeks he started 15 games, was never so much as substitute and put in some great performances. 

True, he wasn’t Andy Robertson or even Barry Douglas but he was a consistent performer and regular starter and most of us hoped we could find a way to keep.  

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=87187&season_id=150

Edited by adamntg

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

This is completely untrue.  He joined Utd on 20th March 2018 and was on loan to the 11th May.  In those seven weeks he started 15 games, was never so much as substitute and put in some great performances. 

True, he wasn’t Andy Robertson or even Barry Douglas but he was a consistent performer and regular starter and most of us hoped we could find a way to keep.  

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=87187&season_id=150

I stand corrected. I remember him not tearing up trees and fans and pundits not being impressed but he must have done better than that. 

That being said I still dont think he has done or will do anything that merits a call up.

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Not harsh at all. Just realistic. 2 or 3 good games for Celtic shouldnt get you in the running for a call up. He was horrible at Dundee Utd. Emded up not even being a consistent starter for them 

Paterson has consistently played well for Rangers when he has played and also performed well for the U21s. He is being kept out the side by a very good player.

Ralston is only playing because Celtic literally have nobody else atm. They are in the market for a right back. If Ralston keeps the new signing out of the team and goes onto have a cracking season then fair enough, have a look at him but thats highly unlikely to happen given what we have seen on him to date.

Don't think anyone has suggested he be called up for these upcoming games. If he continues on this good form and Patterson doesn't play much then ralston might be in contention for future squads further down the line.

Fact is we don't have many good right backs, our best is probably o donnell or patterson, but if he's not playing regulary then it comes down to guys like ralston or Rooney. Not great choices but ralston has shown so far that he could be an improved player and he's still only 22. 

Paterson is probably the future first choice but we will need back up and so far Patterson has only played 17 first team games for rangers. He's very inexperienced and he could end up not making at rangers. Look at Middleton for example, he looked quite good when he first broke through at rangers but now it's looking like he probably won't make it there. 

You seem desperate to discard a guy who is only 22 and could easily improve over the next couple of years. 

On 8/19/2021 at 2:19 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I missed out Welsh but I am starting to think he might be a real contender for centre back position. From what I have read he was excellent tonight and has been pretty good recently. Only 21 so plenty of time to get better. 

Johnston is only 22 and has suffered from not getting gametime, he didn't make it at Liverpool or feynoord but those are tough teams to break into. He's only 22 and if he can play a full season at league 1 and do well then he could get promotion or a transfer to a championship team. What he needs is a few seasons playing football even if its at league 1/championship level. 

The Coventry lads have only had 1 season at championship level and the guy hyam played alot for Coventry last season so this season is a chance for them to impress and improve, it is unlikely they progress higher than the championship but its not completely impossible.

Lindsay has seem to struggle ever since he went to England so I don't have high hopes for him which is a shame because he looked very promising as a young player at partick. 

Fair enough. We will look out for Johnston's performances this season & hope he kicks on. 

Actually i had high hopes for Rose, I've never seen him play but Leeds where supposed to be in for him after he had a great season in Coventry's promotion season. Think he had injury issues initially last season & a change of formation may have effected his playing opportunities. 

Lindsay started well when he first went down south, like Rose rumours of a big money move to the epl (Southampton) never happened & what I've read on forums about him since is that his defending is fine it's when the balls at his feet that his limitations show up. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Don't think anyone has suggested he be called up for these upcoming games. If he continues on this good form and Patterson doesn't play much then ralston might be in contention for future squads further down the line.

Fact is we don't have many good right backs, our best is probably o donnell or patterson, but if he's not playing regulary then it comes down to guys like ralston or Rooney. Not great choices but ralston has shown so far that he could be an improved player and he's still only 22. 

Paterson is probably the future first choice but we will need back up and so far Patterson has only played 17 first team games for rangers. He's very inexperienced and he could end up not making at rangers. Look at Middleton for example, he looked quite good when he first broke through at rangers but now it's looking like he probably won't make it there. 

You seem desperate to discard a guy who is only 22 and could easily improve over the next couple of years. 

Ralston was never a bad player. He had a few bad games at, what, 18 years old for Celtic and was dismissed by fans. Possibly because of how consistently well Tierney was doing on the other side. It's hard not to compare.

I think this is a Patterson vs Ralston thing. But why not both? I personally would love a repeat of the Tierney/Robertson conundrum on the right hand side.

This summer, it looked like Patterson was the only long term option at right back. A great option, but if we want to compete on the big stage, we need depth in every position. Now we potentially have Ralston, Ramsay and Patterson as options in the next few years. Plus the flexible Hickey.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Ralston was never a bad player. He had a few bad games at, what, 18 years old for Celtic and was dismissed by fans. Possibly because of how consistently well Tierney was doing on the other side. It's hard not to compare.

I think this is a Patterson vs Ralston thing. But why not both? I personally would love a repeat of the Tierney/Robertson conundrum on the right hand side.

This summer, it looked like Patterson was the only long term option at right back. A great option, but if we want to compete on the big stage, we need depth in every position. Now we potentially have Ralston, Ramsay and Patterson as options in the next few years. Plus the flexible Hickey.

Think Ashby who has been called up may have something to say, called up to Under 21s, West ham seem to think they have a golden generation which he is mentioned as part of so my mad West ham mate tells me, and he raves about him.