The news thread - Page 141 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Scottish deposit return scheme delayed until March

Well done Humza, seems like the sensible thing to do. 

Going to piss off a few folk. A supermarket near me has just spent thousands taking out part of their car park in preparation for this. If it gets pushed back again I'd imagine they'll be looking for compensation.

Edited by Och Aye

1 minute ago, Och Aye said:

Going to piss off a few folk. A supermarket near me has just spent thousands taking out part of their car park in preparation for this. If it gets pushed back again I'd imagine they'll be looking for compensation.

Don’t worry, I’m sure the MSM will be doing a 180 and focussing now on their displeasure on this rather than those people who couldn’t get themselves sorted out in time. 

13 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

it should be cancelled and anyone who has spent any money on this compensated by the Green Party.

The Emergency Alert coming to our mobile phones on Sunday. I bet Facebook is still quicker. I had FB messages from friends all over asking me if a  pub that was on fire recently was near me and that was before any fire engines arrived on the scene.

4 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

The Emergency Alert coming to our mobile phones on Sunday. I bet Facebook is still quicker. I had FB messages from friends all over asking me if a  pub that was on fire recently was near me and that was before any fire engines arrived on the scene.

switched emergency alerts off on both my phones. Looking forward to a peaceful Sunday without government interference.

Can't remember any of this up to £60,000,000,000 UK government fraud getting wall to wall coverage on Reporting Scotland. 

https://thestack.technology/uk-government-fraud-data-silos-nao/

Maybe they didn't have time to squeeze it in around the news of all the ferries that have sunk, and a mere 600K SNP money story? The "missing" SNP money isn't even public money and yet it is given massively more importance than £60 billion worth of UK government fraud. This £60 billion doesn't even include the COVID fraud.

44 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Can't remember any of this up to £60,000,000,000 UK government fraud getting wall to wall coverage on Reporting Scotland. 

https://thestack.technology/uk-government-fraud-data-silos-nao/

Maybe they didn't have time to squeeze it in around the news of all the ferries that have sunk, and a mere 600K SNP money story? The "missing" SNP money isn't even public money and yet it is given massively more importance than £60 billion worth of UK government fraud. This £60 billion doesn't even include the COVID fraud.

If my maths is right, Scotland's 'share' of that would be about £7.5 billion or about £1400 a head. And yet the tabloids were screaming about the cost of challenging the GRR bill which they said would cost about 9p a head.  Puts things into perspective!

PS I've done quite a lots of Maths cover lessons since Christmas and feel my maths has improved but someone may want to check those figures 🙂

Edited by Hertsscot

21 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

If my maths is right, Scotland's 'share' of that would be about £7.5 billion or about £1400 a head. And yet the tabloids were screaming about the cost of challenging the GRR bill which they said would cost about 9p a head.  Puts things into perspective!

PS I've done quite a lots of Maths cover lessons since Christmas and feel my maths has improved but someone may want to check those figures 🙂

More like £5 billion. More lessons required. I blame the bad SNP education system. 😉

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

More like £5 billion. More lessons required. I blame the bad SNP education system. 😉

In fairness my Maths was under the English education system. I got a B in my O level when I was 14, Sunak would have had me studying it for another three years!

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

In fairness my Maths was under the English education system. I got a B in my O level when I was 14, Sunak would have had me studying it for another three years!

And, I'm guessing that it happened a few decades before the SNP had any control over such matters? 😉 But we shouldn't let some numbers get in the way of a SNP bad story.😂

I was pretty good at school maths until I reckoned I'd done well enough to get the qualification required.   Then I switched off.   Between the higher exams and the end of fifth year, the maths teacher started on sixth year studies' calculus, in which I'd no interest whatsoever.   I fell asleep.   Making folk study stuff with no motivation probably won't work.   But of course, I've only read the headline.

(Btw, it turned out I really needed calculus for engineering in higher education, so I should have paid attention.   I struggled.   Pisses me off when folk just don't get maths: "What's it for? Duh."   Then again the PM's was probably of the St.Trinian's variety, on bookies odds.)

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Raab resigns. 

i suspect an 80s management style that didn’t go down well with todays youngsters.  You can’t manage like that anymore.  I was once in an office where someone threatened to throw someone “out the fucking window” if they didn’t deliver on time. 

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

i suspect an 80s management style that didn’t go down well with todays youngsters.  You can’t manage like that anymore.  I was once in an office where someone threatened to throw someone “out the fucking window” if they didn’t deliver on time. 

The primary reason why you can’t manage like that anymore is that it’s bad management. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

The primary reason why you can’t manage like that anymore is that it’s bad management. 

Thankfully dinosaurs like him are on their way out. It will take longer than normal in the medieval snake pit that is Westminster right enough. Sounds like he is blaming the world and his granny too, showing everyone what a classless cretin he really is. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Thankfully you are still here Malcolm. 

44 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Diane Abbott being a moron again

Screenshot_20230423_123018_WhatsApp.jpg

Technically she is right

Judaism isnt a race

Christianity isnt a race

Islam isnt a race

Redheads arent a race

Blondes arent a race

Sure - The Nazis saw the Jews as a race but it doesn't mean they were or are - it was pure sectarianism 

Definitions for Racial and Ethnic Categories

The Revisions to OMB Directive 15 defines each racial and ethnic category as follows:

• American Indian or Alaska Native. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.
  • Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.
  • Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American."
  • Hispanic or Latino. A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. The term, "Spanish origin," can be used in addition to "Hispanic or Latino."
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
  • White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

18 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Technically she is right

Judaism isnt a race

Christianity isnt a race

Islam isnt a race

Redheads arent a race

Blondes arent a race

Sure - The Nazis saw the Jews as a race but it doesn't mean they were or are - it was pure sectarianism 

Definitions for Racial and Ethnic Categories

The Revisions to OMB Directive 15 defines each racial and ethnic category as follows

I had to look up OMB as it pertains to the USA.  I found the following article useful for a UK

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/ethnic-minority-lawyers/a-guide-to-race-and-ethnicity-terminology-and-language

Part of the complication as I understand it is that race is a contested concept, and is a social rather than biological reality. The 2021 census in England and Wales for instance referred to ethnic groups rather than race. 

Further information about these categories are found. Interestingly there are some minor differences between England and Wales, N.Ireland and Scotland.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/style-guide/ethnic-groups#2021-census

No doubt whatever the rights or wrongs of this there will be many in Starmer's Labour Party who will be delighted with this as Abbott is a reminder of policies and postures that they'd rather forget.

Edited by Hertsscot