The news thread - Page 136 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

immigrants that have not applied through the appropriate channels and are arriving illegally, for example on small boats.

They are not illegal immigrants though, they have broken no laws and under international law they have a right to seek asylum.  Once that claim is adjudicated and refused, if they remain in the country they are here illegally.  The vast majority of asylum cases have a positive outcome.

When was the last time that an immigrant had a negative impact on your life? 

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

They are not illegal immigrants though, they have broken no laws and under international law they have a right to seek asylum.  Once that claim is adjudicated and refused, if they remain in the country they are here illegally.  The vast majority of asylum cases have a positive outcome.

When was the last time that an immigrant had a negative impact on your life? 

if they are arriving from France they are already in a country that’s free from persecution.  They can seek asylum there.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

if they are arriving from France they are already in a country that’s free from persecution.  They can seek asylum there.

Plenty do, in fact more than who make it to the UK, event though are under no obligation to do so.  Just because the UKG don't like it, doesn't mean that it's illegal.

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Plenty do, in fact more than who make it to the UK, event though are under no obligation to do so.  Just because the UKG don't like it, doesn't mean that it's illegal.

there are a couple of choices facing the UK, firstly they could spend a lot of money accelerating the asylum process to determine whether someone as the right to seek asylum or not, or secondly they could withdraw from the European court of human rights and determine and enforce our own laws on this.

Personally, I believe that anyone genuinely and directly fleeing a war zone or persecution should be accommodated, everyone else should have to meet a points criteria similar to Australia and the US and should have to apply through appropriate channels.

25 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

there are a couple of choices facing the UK, firstly they could spend a lot of money accelerating the asylum process to determine whether someone as the right to seek asylum or not, or secondly they could withdraw from the European court of human rights and determine and enforce our own laws on this.

In common with Russia and Belarus

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

we may choose to have stronger and tighter laws than europe in some cases and not in others but it would be our decision.

Yes, you’re quite the “Indy-curious” sort aren’t you. 

‘We MUST stop the boats’ . Like we were being attacked by an  enemy force or an infestation of vermin. 

I suppose ‘ we MUST stop the small boats that are carrying fellow humans who feel the need to risk their lives to reach somewhere safe’ doesnt quite have the same effect. 
Oh, and throw in the solemn background  music for effect . State propaganda at its finest. 

Then you get folk like this. ‘He doesn’t know what he is talking about, giggle giggle , from this airhead.
Irony overload. 

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1635228926439030784?s=20

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Yes, you’re quite the “Indy-curious” sort aren’t you. 

here’s you rushing to judgement again….  Independence is not a function of party politics.

Just because you are right wing does not preclude you from wanting independence.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

here’s you rushing to judgement again….  Independence is not a function of party politics.

Just because you are right wing does not preclude you from wanting independence.

Scotland has an emigration, not immigration problem.  How do you proposed to solve that by having tighter controls?

58 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64942726

Fiona Bruce to step back from Refuge after 'storm' over Stanley Johnson remark on Question Time

Bless. Enjoying her ‘just following orders defence’. 
As I understand in response to criticism by humanitarian groups concerned with protecting victims of abuse. She will in future only follow orders. 

and where when you needed it is  the photo of the England National Football Team saluting , saluting ffs , Adolf Hitler. 1938. 
the year before outbreak of World War Two 

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

Scotland has an emigration, not immigration problem.  How do you proposed to solve that by having tighter controls?

Scotland has an emigration problem because talented people can make a much better life for themselves elsewhere.

We need to create wealth and not tax it heavily and bring in people with skills required to create that wealth and enjoy a share of the spoils.  Hence my suggestion for a points based system like Australia and USA.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Scotland has an emigration problem because talented people can make a much better life for themselves elsewhere.

We need to create wealth and not tax it heavily and bring in people with skills required to create that wealth and enjoy a share of the spoils.  Hence my suggestion for a points based system like Australia and USA.

Scotland has had an emigration problem for the last two centuries.   In 1988, I was one of those talented people - university graduate - who left, not because I could make more money or have a better life elsewhere but because I’d been on the broo for over a year after graduating.  

Just now, aaid said:

Scotland has had an emigration problem for the last two centuries.   In 1988, I was one of those talented people - university graduate - who left, not because I could make more money or have a better life elsewhere but because I’d been on the broo for over a year after graduating.  

so it was to make more money then… more money than being unemployed.  That’s a good thing, and a shame that you had to leave your country to do it.

I don’t see a massive amount of entrepreneurship in Scotland. This is the key to make everyone richer. We are currently in decline.

52 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

so it was to make more money then… more money than being unemployed.  That’s a good thing, and a shame that you had to leave your country to do it.

I don’t see a massive amount of entrepreneurship in Scotland. This is the key to make everyone richer. We are currently in decline.

A brain drain is a very vicious cycle. Those who have the ability for entrepreneurship are typically those who leave Scotland, leading to a lack of meaningful economic opportunities, leading to more people choosing to leave the country in the future. The question is how to stop people leaving Scotland prior to using their skills to develop Scotland economically and socially.

This isn't unique to Scotland, with basically every part of Britain seeing a brain drain (outwith London and its surronding areas, where a lot of these people are heading). The brain drain has slowed since devolution mind.

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

We hear those two sentences often in our lives and I find it fascinating.

Just the idea every other country should deal with a crisis, whilst the UK puts is feet up.

The British Empire went around the world and taught people English. Its no surprise they want to head to a place where they speak the language.

Edited by Rich NATA

3 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

A brain drain is a very vicious cycle. Those who have the ability for entrepreneurship are typically those who leave Scotland, leading to a lack of meaningful economic opportunities, leading to more people choosing to leave the country in the future. The question is how to stop people leaving Scotland prior to using their skills to develop Scotland economically and socially.

This isn't unique to Scotland, with basically every part of Britain seeing a brain drain (outwith London and its surronding areas, where a lot of these people are heading). The brain drain has slowed since devolution mind.

this is why I really hope Kate Forbes wins.  I think she is better placed than humzah to do something on this.