The news thread - Page 142 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I had to look up OMB as it pertains to the USA.  I found the following article useful for a UK

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/topics/ethnic-minority-lawyers/a-guide-to-race-and-ethnicity-terminology-and-language

Part of the complication as I understand it is that race is a contested concept, and is a social rather than biological reality. The 2021 census in England and Wales for instance referred to ethnic groups rather than race. 

Further information about these categories are found. Interestingly there are some minor differences between England and Wales, N.Ireland and Scotland.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/style-guide/ethnic-groups#2021-census

No doubt whatever the rights or wrongs of this there will be many in Starmer's Labour Party who will be delighted with this as Abbott is a reminder of policies and postures that they'd rather forget.

The thing is - It's Anti-Semitism that portrays Judaism as a race

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/are-jews-a-race/

Which is why this whole thing, and society in general, is getting totally fucked up

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The thing is - It's Anti-Semitism that portrays Judaism as a race

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/are-jews-a-race/

Which is why this whole thing, and society in general, is getting totally fucked up

That article is a load of bollocks - not all Jews look the same.   Not all Asians look the same, not all sub-Saharan people look the same, not all Caucasians look the same.

Judaism is a religion, a person can be an observant Jew and not be ethnically Jewish.   Jewish is either a race or an ethnic group depending upon your perspective, a person can be ethnically Jewish and a Christian, Muslim, or any other religion or none.  

51 minutes ago, aaid said:

That article is a load of bollocks - not all Jews look the same.   Not all Asians look the same, not all sub-Saharan people look the same, not all Caucasians look the same.

Which is what the author is saying ?

the short answer is no — Jews are not a race. People who identify as Jewish include individuals of enormously diverse geographic origins and physical appearances, making the idea that Jews could easily be designated a race in the sense of shared physical or biological characteristics implausible.

Judaism is a religion, a person can be an observant Jew and not be ethnically Jewish.   Jewish is either a race or an ethnic group depending upon your perspective, a person can be ethnically Jewish and a Christian, Muslim, or any other religion or none.  

Did you actually read the article

But in modern times, antisemites have more commonly viewed Jews as a distinct (and inferior) race, a designation from which there is no escape by conversion. Most nefariously, this idea was used by Hitler to justify the extermination of millions of Jews during the Holocaust, deeming them racially inferior to pure Aryan stock. Modern Antisemitism continues to root itself in the claim that Jews are racially distinct. 

22 hours ago, aaid said:

I was told that Sammy Davies junior was Jewish - People can be Jewish without being from a semitic race.  Also worth noting that (IIRC) the Arabs are also a semitic people, which is perhaps fairly logical as they originate in the same area as semitic Jews.

"Jewish" is no more a race than Catholicism.  You can convert to either and you can leave and become some other religion if you want.

In reality, we are all the same race.  The human race.

41 minutes ago, Alibi said:

That's the way I look at it. Scientifically speaking, most of our genes originated in Africa. Some of them have been modified over the past couple of hundred thousand years. If we could trace our family trees back far enough almost every one of us would find we have a relative who was Neanderthal.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I was told that Sammy Davies junior was Jewish - People can be Jewish without being from a semitic race.  Also worth noting that (IIRC) the Arabs are also a semitic people, which is perhaps fairly logical as they originate in the same area as semitic Jews.

"Jewish" is no more a race than Catholicism.  You can convert to either and you can leave and become some other religion if you want.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

That's the way I look at it. Scientifically speaking, most of our genes originated in Africa. Some of them have been modified over the past couple of hundred thousand years. If we could trace our family trees back far enough almost every one of us would find we have a relative who was Neanderthal.

Indeed - Race and Ethnicity are socially constructed terms and not rooted in biology

38 minutes ago, aaid said:

A bit like sex and gender then.  

No - they are rooted in Biology

Clearly what you believe isnt

4 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Tucker Carlson's last monologue is interesting 

https://rumble.com/v2jaois-tucker-carlson-full-monologue-april-19-2023.html

15 minutes long, by a person who argued in court no reasonable viewer takes him at face value, about the "filthy dishonesty" of the media. Brilliant satire from Tucker as always he's my favourite Stephen Colbert copy-cat.

On the race thing it doesn't matter what the actual taxonomy is if folk are acting based on a false understanding of it anyway.

Also we don't have a good enough understanding genetically to be making definitive statements either. Considering it is normally the mutations that cause phenotypical differences as opposed to the actual template itself.

3 hours ago, phart said:

15 minutes long, by a person who argued in court no reasonable viewer takes him at face value, about the "filthy dishonesty" of the media. Brilliant satire from Tucker as always he's my favourite Stephen Colbert copy-cat.

The bit where he shows CNN quoting a US government letter asking Russia to take care of US nuclear technologies in the Ukrainian power plant they've seized is fucking scary!

Wonder with Musk and a shift to online platforms if we're seeing a paradigm shift away from traditional sources for the masses?

Interesting times

3 hours ago, phart said:

On the race thing it doesn't matter what the actual taxonomy is if folk are acting based on a false understanding of it anyway.

Also we don't have a good enough understanding genetically to be making definitive statements either. Considering it is normally the mutations that cause phenotypical differences as opposed to the actual template itself.

Saw a documentary a while back where they reckon Tibetans and the nomadic tribes around have evolved almost separately because of climate, remoteness, isolation etc and have kept facits of early man.  The Tibetans on the plateau haven't developed the same.

Think they've found they've developed a gene for operating at altitude where the brain and muscles can cope with lack of oxygen- Inca's similar.

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Saw a documentary a while back where they reckon Tibetans and the nomadic tribes around have evolved almost separately because of climate, remoteness, isolation etc and have kept facits of early man.  The Tibetans on the plateau haven't developed the same.

Think they've found they've developed a gene for operating at altitude where the brain and muscles can cope with lack of oxygen- Inca's similar.

Different traits will get selected for depending on enviroment. Incas are pretty recent though, Linlithgow Palace is older than Machu Picchu for example. The problem is working out how much of that is due to acclimatation to enviroment and how much is due to a specific gene which produces that phenotype. I'm way out any area of expertise though, so I'd defer to someone who knows what they are talking about.

I was more meaning that it's the mutations that cause the differences , so it's when DNA doesn't replicate properly that we get evolution. So looking at the plan , the DNA itself, doesn't always give you an idea. Also knowing how the information interacts with each strand to produce what is totally unknown atm.

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The bit where he shows CNN quoting a US government letter asking Russia to take care of US nuclear technologies in the Ukrainian power plant they've seized is fucking scary!

Wonder with Musk and a shift to online platforms if we're seeing a paradigm shift away from traditional sources for the masses?

Interesting times

Musk is too busy cosplaying as his 3 year old child on twitter to worry about.

I'm going uninformed , as the only other option is misinformed. They are the same functionally but uninformed takes less effort :D

The real issue for me is the Dominion case. We have all the released texts, emails and calls. Showing how folk like Carlson act when they think no one is watching. It's tangible, on the record and shows a duplicity of amazing proportions.

The curtain got pulled back big time. I'd not waste a second listening to Carlson on anything. One of the most dishonest brokers in media history. Proven in the dominion case and, this blows my mind hence why i keep bringing it up, argued by his own defence in court that no reasonable person would think he is being earnest.

You're being sued and your own defence is hey, if you have one iota of common sense you'd know this is hyperbolic performance not an actual real news report. Fucking wild.

6 hours ago, phart said:

The real issue for me is the Dominion case. We have all the released texts, emails and calls. Showing how folk like Carlson act when they think no one is watching. It's tangible, on the record and shows a duplicity of amazing proportions.

The curtain got pulled back big time. I'd not waste a second listening to Carlson on anything. One of the most dishonest brokers in media history. Proven in the dominion case and, this blows my mind hence why i keep bringing it up, argued by his own defence in court that no reasonable person would think he is being earnest.

You're being sued and your own defence is hey, if you have one iota of common sense you'd know this is hyperbolic performance not an actual real news report. Fucking wild.

It's probably the first, or one of a handful, of times I've watched one.  He's performing an act and his ratings have offered protection.

What I thought was interesting is more Fox reaction- why now?  They're sponsored by pharmaceuticals so if his vaccine stuff had been too problematic they'd have pulled him before now.

The Dominion case settlement is only usd800m which equates to less than a month revenue- it'll have helped nail his coffin shut I'd imagine but can't see it being the catalyst given what he brought in.

Murdoch said he'd got too spiritual which sounds bollocks too.

What apparently is the cause is he did an investigative piece on his own regarding Ukraine alleging government are up to their eyes in money laundering, massive sums of cash disappearing etc whereby one of the top dogs/ sponsors walked.

On the face of it the nuclear story seems mental.

- why have the US got nuclear technology in Ukraine 

- why have Russia risked causing nuclear meltdown at the plant to get it and

- why is it so important that the US government have written a letter to Russia cap in hand asking they take care of it?

China must be laughing its cock off as it just continues investing across the rest of the globe.

Waaaay too much effort though to remain wholly ignorant 👍