The news thread - Page 67 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

So is it a day off for the funeral and also a day off for the coronation? Part of me is gutted as I took early retirement but on the other hand I might just book a holiday abroad.

If I could fuck off abroad for two weeks I would. Potentially two weeks of mourning ahead.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

' a king must be adored like a demigod, with a dissolute and haughty court about him, if vast expense and luxury...and all this to do nothing but...pageant himself up and down in progress among the perpetual bowings and cringings of an abject people.' (John Milton, 1660)

I’m surprised that he went for Charles III as it didn’t work out well for the previous two, one was executed and the other died without an heir - albeit he fathered numerous bastards. 

13 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

English matches off this weekend. I assume Scottish leagues will follow suit

Assuming the funeral will be next weekend, next weekend's fixtures will be too.

According to UKG guidance, no organisation or venue is obliged to call off events, but people - especially in the football business - never seem to hesitate.     

I find it staggering leisure pursuits get scrapped like this; especially when fans/audiences go to great lengths to attend... I fly to Scotland HOME matches and this week I know of people who booked and travelled from Cornwall to London for a Champions League match.

Everything else operates normally; you're expected to go to work, but football? Nah.

I see that Paisley festival is off. I wonder if events at the Hydro or in other big arena's throughout the UK will be cancelled?

A colleague of mine saw Coldplay at Wembley Stadium a couple of weeks back. A huge show... Six nights, I think they did.

Would that all be cancelled if it was this week?

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I’m surprised that he went for Charles III as it didn’t work out well for the previous two, one was executed and the other died without an heir - albeit he fathered numerous bastards. 

As his name is Charles what else could he have went for ?

He already has heirs and Capital Punishment is not due to be introduced until 2024 ........

3 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

A colleague of mine is seeing the Lion King stage-show this week.

The theatre website confirms the run of shows will go ahead.

Is the football business a grief junkie?

Theatres can stay open, as they're mostly a middle/higher class pursuit.

Football is for the plebs though, and the establishment have to keep them in line via enforced mourning.

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

As his name is Charles what else could he have went for ?

He already has heirs and Capital Punishment is not due to be introduced until 2024 ........

He could go for whatever he wanted to.

His grandfather, George VI's first name was Albert.

2 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Football is for the plebs though, and the establishment have to keep them in line via enforced mourning.

There is though the problem that she was the patron of both the FA and SFA.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

He's had to wait 70 years to get a promotion. Probably not giving a monkey's about lucky omens.

4 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

She was also patron of the Royal Shakespeare Company, yet the show must go on?

I'm not saying that it was right or wrong to postpone this weekend's fixtures.  It was however, absolutely inevitable that they were.   If they hadn't been then there would've been a complete feeding frenzy.  I can remember clearly the aftermath of Lady DI's death.

15 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

They might cancel ‘Singin I’m no a Billy he’s a Tim.’  …

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm not saying that it was right or wrong to postpone this weekend's fixtures.  It was however, absolutely inevitable that they were.   If they hadn't been then there would've been a complete feeding frenzy.  I can remember clearly the aftermath of Lady DI's death.

Yep, that's what i mean by keeping the plebs in line. Any opportunity for protest (which would cause offence to the royalists) has to be quashed via enforced mourning.

Have a look at the curated comments on the daily mail story posted earlier. Any that mention free speech have been furiously downvoted by retired colonels in Royal Berkshire 😄

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11195873/Fish-chip-shop-owner-sparked-fury-video-proclaiming-Lizard-Liz-dead.html

1 minute ago, Dave78 said:

Have a look at the curated comments on the daily mail story posted earlier. Any that mention free speech have been furiously downvoted by retired colonels in Royal Berkshire 😄

I'd really rather not.

The media hype about this auld woman popping her clogs is almost beyond hysterical. The same media have the hard neck to try to poke fun at North Korea. We are no better than them. We are a nation of subservient forelock tugging plebs.

Where is Frankie Boyle in this hour of need? 

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

A colleague of mine is seeing the Lion King stage-show this week.

The theatre website confirms the run of shows will go ahead.

Is the football business a grief junkie?

Football has too many gammon faced, Daily Mail reading idiots with spend their life calling anyone and everyone woke/snowfalkes, then can't understand when folk aren't one bit arsed about the Royal Family.

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The media hype about this auld woman popping her clogs is almost beyond hysterical. The same media have the hard neck to try to poke fun at North Korea. We are no better than them. We are a nation of subservient forelock tugging plebs.

Kevin Bridges gave it a go last night!

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I understand why left leaning politicians may want to send condolences (out of genuine respect) or may feel they have to send their condolences (for fear of criticism, loss of votes) but honestly!  On the other hand, it just looks like subservient fawning to the wealthy and privileged, obsequious toadying to the unelected elite and implicit support of the status quo.