European Super League - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Super League

Taylor1996

11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Credit to Carragher and Neville last night. They were right.

The EPL and UEFA have to make an example out of these 6 teams. Deduct them all 25 points in the EPL.

Give them all a 3 year ban from European competition. 

They think they're "losing money" and that fans are losing interest in football"? Fine. Let's flip the script and give fans of West Ham, Everton, Aston Villa, Leeds and Wolves a taste.

Arsenal might get relegated but Man City would still probably win the league.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Carragher and Neville can now stop the moral outrage and get back to their big paid jobs with the company that started all this shit 30 years ago. A pair of fucking hypocrites 

It's easy to cite the EPL and Sky as the catalyst for all this, but I remember, the old 1st Division. The stadiums were crumbling. The basic infrastructure wasn't there.

People may not want to believe it, but the EPL came about at the right time for English domestic football.

As Scotland supporters we should all be glad that it did. I remember England in '90 and '96. If the foreigners didn't roll up to English football then I believe that they'd have more than one World Cup in their cabinet.

It's what's happened subsequently with the foreigner owners that have lead to this. Sky and the EPL have never wanted a closed shop.

Souness made a good point tonight. He said that the 6 clubs have signed legally binding contracts to participate in the ESL. 

I don't think the matter is over. Far from it.

12 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Souness made a good point tonight. He said that the 6 clubs have signed legally binding contracts to participate in the ESL. 

I see Man City have said they have "enacted the procedures" to withdraw. So there must have been a withdrawal mechanism. An 'article 50' if you like.

19 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's easy to cite the EPL and Sky as the catalyst for all this, but I remember, the old 1st Division. The stadiums were crumbling. The basic infrastructure wasn't there.

People may not want to believe it, but the EPL came about at the right time for English domestic football.

As Scotland supporters we should all be glad that it did. I remember England in '90 and '96. If the foreigners didn't roll up to English football then I believe that they'd have more than one World Cup in their cabinet.

It's what's happened subsequently with the foreigner owners that have lead to this. Sky and the EPL have never wanted a closed shop.

Sky was happy to fund the champions league for years. It may not be the closed shop the ESL would've been but its very close. 

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin welcomed the withdrawal of Manchester City from the  proposed Super League.

He said: “I am delighted to welcome City back to the European football family.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by vanderark14

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Sky was happy to fund the champions league for years. It may not be the closed shop the ESL would've been but its very close. 

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin welcomed the withdrawal of Manchester City from the  proposed Super League.

He said: “I am delighted to welcome City back to the European football family.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

“We’ve listened to the fans and accept this is wrong, financial fair play, trickle down and help other clubs blah blah pish”

Surprising climb down from the big 12. 

Testing the water for next time?

3 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I see Man City have said they have "enacted the procedures" to withdraw. So there must have been a withdrawal mechanism. An 'article 50' if you like.

Gary Neville said something about a £100m get out clause?

I wonder if there's any truth in that and who would actually receive it.

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

“We’ve listened to the fans and accept this is wrong, financial fair play, trickle down and help other clubs blah blah pish”

Surprising climb down from the big 12. 

Testing the water for next time?

No as I said brokering for more money from UEFA. They did not take into account the anger from the fans (their lifeblood), their players and their managers and the football community across the board. If you can tell me why they will try again after first attempt fell apart so spectacularly after less than three days feel free.

What happens next will be interesting. Big clubs for years have had concessions made to them on the basis the world cant survive without them. All of a sudden the smaller clubs have seen them for what they are and realised abit of solidarity gives them an equal say.

Id love to see the smaller clubs taking back some of the power. Especially if Uefa followef suit (which they wont) and started giving more to smaller leagues instead of pandering to the top 5 leagues.

Shows what could have been done in Scotland had Aberdeen not beem greedy when Rangers were put in lower leagues.

21 minutes ago, stirlish said:

UEFA should punish them by reducing champions league placing by 1 club per 'big 6' country.

it would be a start.

That would more than likely punish the other clubs in those leagues though.

Would be better keeing it as it is but putting a rule in place to say only 3 of the big 6 clubs can qualify for the next 5 years. 

Ie England still gets 4 champ league places by only 3 can be taken up by big 6 teams. The 4th place goes to the highest finishing non big 6 team.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Would be better keeing it as it is but putting a rule in place to say only 3 of the big 6 clubs can qualify for the next 5 years. 

Ie England still gets 4 champ league places by only 3 can be taken up by big 6 teams. The 4th place goes to the highest finishing non big 6 team.

Ban them all from Europe for 3-5 years.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No as I said brokering for more money from UEFA. They did not take into account the anger from the fans (their lifeblood), their players and their managers and the football community across the board. If you can tell me why they will try again after first attempt fell apart so spectacularly after less than three days feel free.

Because it’s what the owners want?

Reckon the fans and the football community would learn to accept it. But who knows, I’m surprised it fell apart so quickly and maybe it was all just to get more money out of UEFA. 

If anything else, this goes to show how gutless and impotent and ineffective fans, the media, the owners, the players, the managers and the authorities are in Scottish football.

In England, they get a whiff of an anti-competitive idea forming. They assemble and stop it in two days.

In Scotland? The Old Firm have had 30 years of domination. With no end in sight. 30 years of a rigged competition. 

In the past 30 years how many times have the Old Firm mooted partaking in a breakaway? 5 years doesn't pass when they don't bring it up.

And yet... no sanctions from the Scottish football fraternity.

Now that we're no longer part of Europe there should be a limit on foreigners in matchday squads. And that's only the start.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Because it’s what the owners want?

Reckon the fans and the football community would learn to accept it. But who knows, I’m surprised it fell apart so quickly and maybe it was all just to get more money out of UEFA. 

No one would accept it.

That's what we've seen in the past few days. Jamie Carragher said that Liverpool fans would burn Anfield to the ground if the owners went ahead with this and drove Klopp away.

A wee bit dramatic, but he isn't 100% off. 

5 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

That’s a great idea. They would hate that haha 

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

No one would accept it.

That's what we've seen in the past few days. Jamie Carragher said that Liverpool fans would burn Anfield to the ground if the owners went ahead with this and drove Klopp away.

A wee bit dramatic, but he isn't 100% off. 

I don’t know, I still think it’s gonna happen eventually. 

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t know, I still think it’s gonna happen eventually. 

I don't think it will.

The strength of feeling, from every corner, forced a bunch of billionaires to do what they never do, and that is to make a grovelling apology.

It was fun watching the end results.

If it did happen, fans would be splintered and they'd all come together, with a benefactor that had the original club at heart, and create their own club.

It's happened, to smaller degrees, with AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester.

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I don't think it will.

The strength of feeling, from every corner, forced a bunch of billionaires to do what they never do, and that is to make a grovelling apology.

It was fun watching the end results.

If it did happen, fans would be splintered and they'd all come together, with a benefactor that had the original club at heart, and create their own club.

It's happened, to smaller degrees, with AFC Wimbledon and FC United of Manchester.

I can’t see how UEFA can fix the underlying issues affecting the European game that will satisfy the so called big 12 while keeping everyone else happy. 

The status quo is being celebrated here despite that lack of sporting integrity and competition that has increased over the past 30 years. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I can’t see how UEFA can fix the underlying issues affecting the European game that will satisfy the so called big 12 while keeping everyone else happy. 

The status quo is being celebrated here despite that lack of sporting integrity and competition that has increased over the past 30 years. 

A rejig of the European Cup will go a way to do it. It wouldn't surprise me if UEFA got all clubs to sign a contract where nothing like this will happen again.

Are you talking about Scottish football or European football?

On 4/21/2021 at 5:32 PM, Taylor1996 said:

If anything else, this goes to show how gutless and impotent and ineffective fans, the media, the owners, the players, the managers and the authorities are in Scottish football.

In England, they get a whiff of an anti-competitive idea forming. They assemble and stop it in two days.

In Scotland? The Old Firm have had 30 years of domination. With no end in sight. 30 years of a rigged competition. 

In the past 30 years how many times have the Old Firm mooted partaking in a breakaway? 5 years doesn't pass when they don't bring it up.

And yet... no sanctions from the Scottish football fraternity.

Now that we're no longer part of Europe there should be a limit on foreigners in matchday squads. And that's only the start.

Yes, but it's just been talk; nothing was ever signed like the ESL.

Edited by Third Lanark

16 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Yes, but it's just been talk; nothing was ever signed like the ESL.

I know. But they should still be sanctioned for bringing up the narrative every several years.

For one thing, it's hurting the Scottish football brand when every x amount of years the only two profitable teams are talking about jumping ship.

It's not exactly going to encourage investment. No wonder why the TV deal is always a pittance when we allow the Old Firm to run the show.

If I were a chairman of the other 40 clubs in Scotland I would get in contact with the other 39, as well as the SFA, SPFL, etc, and pretty much make it crystal clear to the Old Firm that they can either stay or go.

They're doing it in England. The "Top 6" are going to face sanctions.

Will Scottish football die without the Old Firm? No. If anything, the fans of the other clubs that don't want to attend a rigged competition, would most probably return, as it'll be a more competitive competition.

English football doesn't want the Old Firm baggage. They still remember what they done to Manchester a few years ago. That would happen every single week when the Old Firm roll into town.

I say call their bluff. If they want to go, go. If not, they have to pay a yearly fee to stay in Scottish football and help subsidise the clubs that they're holding to ransom.

It's about time Scottish football showed a bit of backbone.

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I know. But they should still be sanctioned for bringing up the narrative every several years.

For one thing, it's hurting the Scottish football brand when every x amount of years the only two profitable teams are talking about jumping ship.

It's not exactly going to encourage investment. No wonder why the TV deal is always a pittance when we allow the Old Firm to run the show.

If I were a chairman of the other 40 clubs in Scotland I would get in contact with the other 39, as well as the SFA, SPFL, etc, and pretty much make it crystal clear to the Old Firm that they can either stay or go.

They're doing it in England. The "Top 6" are going to face sanctions.

Will Scottish football die without the Old Firm? No. If anything, the fans of the other clubs that don't want to attend a rigged competition, would most probably return, as it'll be a more competitive competition.

English football doesn't want the Old Firm baggage. They still remember what they done to Manchester a few years ago. That would happen every single week when the Old Firm roll into town.

I say call their bluff. If they want to go, go. If not, they have to pay a yearly fee to stay in Scottish football and help subsidise the clubs that they're holding to ransom.

It's about time Scottish football showed a bit of backbone.

They should be sanctioned because a journalist wrote a story in a paper? If someone wrote a story about you, should you be sanctioned?