European Super League - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Super League

Taylor1996

18 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

They should be sanctioned because a journalist wrote a story in a paper? If someone wrote a story about you, should you be sanctioned? 

There is a thing called "libel".

If a journalist wrote an untruth about me, I'd sue. 

Have you heard/read Celtic or Rangers going on record by declaring their future to the Scottish game? As I said, even if it's not true, they're still using it as leverage to destroy Scottish football even more than they have.

Or is 30 years of dominance not clear enough? 

Personally, I'd kick both of them out, ideally to either ends of Ireland. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

They should be sanctioned because a journalist wrote a story in a paper? If someone wrote a story about you, should you be sanctioned? 

You know as well as anyone the Old Firm feed alot of these stories to keep the narrative going.

TDK makes a brilliant point here but instead of sanctions the other clubs should get together to make changes, the 3 foreigner rule would be a great start. 

Wage caps won't work, you'd need the rest of football to follow suit. A fairer share of all spfl revenue is what I want to see but that's far Too radical. You also need the other clubs to have the appetite for change, there isn't because they're afraid and they believe they won't survive without the OF. The OF don't want change and neither do the other clubs. 

Regarding the ESL and the breakaway clubs, people are conveniently forgetting about the new CL changes or even the current lack of competition. This whole circus is being treated as a victory for the fans but if anything they've been mugged 

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You know as well as anyone the Old Firm feed alot of these stories to keep the narrative going.

TDK makes a brilliant point here but instead of sanctions the other clubs should get together to make changes, the 3 foreigner rule would be a great start. 

Wage caps won't work, you'd need the rest of football to follow suit. A fairer share of all spfl revenue is what I want to see but that's far Too radical. You also need the other clubs to have the appetite for change, there isn't because they're afraid and they believe they won't survive without the OF. The OF don't want change and neither do the other clubs. 

Regarding the ESL and the breakaway clubs, people are conveniently forgetting about the new CL changes or even the current lack of competition. This whole circus is being treated as a victory for the fans but if anything they've been mugged 

My impression is that the majority of fans of non-OF clubs want them out, although the chairmen think otherwise. It could be good if the new SPFL winners receive an automatic CL place. (The new CL is indeed pretty awful though.) 

If the status quo remains (the Sun story being a lot of pish) sharing of the gate money would be a good start. The other clubs also need to let go of their desire to have 4 games against each of the Old Firm per season. 

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

There is a thing called "libel".

If a journalist wrote an untruth about me, I'd sue. 

Have you heard/read Celtic or Rangers going on record by declaring their future to the Scottish game? As I said, even if it's not true, they're still using it as leverage to destroy Scottish football even more than they have.

Or is 30 years of dominance not clear enough? 

Personally, I'd kick both of them out, ideally to either ends of Ireland. 

There is a thing called Libel but it doesnt come close to covering what you are talking about. 

Explain to me why a football club should be punishee because a journalist wrote a story about them in the paper. 

Even if the Old Firm came out and said officially that they would be interested in joiming the EPL. They wouldnt be brealing any rules. Football or otherwise.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

My impression is that the majority of fans of non-OF clubs want them out, although the chairmen think otherwise. It could be good if the new SPFL winners receive an automatic CL place. (The new CL is indeed pretty awful though.) 

If the status quo remains (the Sun story being a lot of pish) sharing of the gate money would be a good start. The other clubs also need to let go of their desire to have 4 games against each of the Old Firm per season. 

Not sure that the majority of club fans want them out, most of us on here yes. but that's because we follow the national team. 

The new format for CL might work both ways with more games between weaker teams there won't be so called no chance groups. 

The old firm joining the EPL would benefit only the old firm.

Why on earth would clubs want them out? 

There wouldn’t even be a TV deal if it wasn’t for the old firm and any fans of other clubs who think the Scottish league would be anything other than the standard of the Irish league without the old firm, are delusional. 

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

There wouldn’t even be a TV deal if it wasn’t for the old firm and any fans of other clubs who think the Scottish league would be anything other than the standard of the Irish league without the old firm, are delusional. 

Some of us don't see the TV deal as the be all and end all. With out the rest of the clubs the old firm would have nobody to play therefore there would be no TV deal for anyone. Perhaps if we started marketing the league rather than the old firm, that would be a nice first step.

As for the Irish league comment, nonsense just nonsense. Scotland has the benefit of having four or five decent sized clubs with decent support compared to the Irish league, football isn't even Irelands primary sport. 

The best outcome here is for ALL clubs to come together and work on competition but you know and I know the old firm don't want competition. 

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Some of us don't see the TV deal as the be all and end all. With out the rest of the clubs the old firm would have nobody to play therefore there would be no TV deal for anyone. Perhaps if we started marketing the league rather than the old firm, that would be a nice first step.

As for the Irish league comment, nonsense just nonsense. Scotland has the benefit of having four or five decent sized clubs with decent support compared to the Irish league, football isn't even Irelands primary sport. 

The best outcome here is for ALL clubs to come together and work on competition but you know and I know the old firm don't want competition. 

The old firm would get a slice of a gigantic TV deal if they joined the English league as suggested. 

I appreciate the fans of the other Scottish clubs don’t like it but the appeal of the Scottish league outside of Scotland in terms of viewing interest is just the old firm. 

Also why would the old firm share half their gate!? That was another suggestion which is bonkers too.

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

The old firm would get a slice of a gigantic TV deal if they joined the English league as suggested. 

I appreciate the fans of the other Scottish clubs don’t like it but the appeal of the Scottish league outside of Scotland in terms of viewing interest is just the old firm. 

Also why would the old firm share half their gate!? That was another suggestion which is bonkers too.

I know the TV deal would be less but as I said I don't care. Its not ghe be all and end all. 

Why would they share their gate? The same reason everyone else would, to ensure fairer competition throughout the league. 

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I know the TV deal would be less but as I said I don't care. Its not ghe be all and end all. 

Why would they share their gate? The same reason everyone else would, to ensure fairer competition throughout the league. 

I am all about promoting our game which I love and our national team but I do think we need the old firm. 

I also think it would be better if we could ensure more Scottish players had to be played and if wealth was distributed better.

Giving half their gate away though will never happen - they are businesses and that’s just giving away money which you are entitled to. 

I know that this weeks climb down has been seen as a victory for fans but I wonder to what extent that is true.  The ESL began to fold with the English clubs, was it because of media/fans response or was it he threat that they would be kicked out of the EPL cash cow?  I would like to think that throughout Europe that this would lead to real change with more fans involvement in the running of their clubs and fairer distribution of wealth, I'm not holding my breath.

In the extremely unlikely event the Old Firm just left completely and became English clubs then the remaining Scottish clubs would suddenly have access to a lot of CL and Europa League money. There would then be a very health contest to win the league each year. 

Less improbably, we could see a British Premier League 1 & 2 with a promotion/relegation pyramid to English League 1 and the SPFL. In other words a true British league probably with unchanged domestic cups. If the latter offered European places, I think that would be quite an attractive proposition all round - at least better than the status quo where only two teams can ever win.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

They still do in the cups. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Scottish clubs shared gates receipts up until 1982. The rot set in shortly after. Not so bonkers. 

The vote to remove gate sharing was taken in October 1980. The ruling had been 50% of the crowd multiplied by the minimum admission price went to the away team. I think it was changed for 1981-82. 

Ironically the season afterwards Rangers lost out, as more fans attended the two games against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park than at Ibrox.

Edited by Toepoke

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I am all about promoting our game which I love and our national team but I do think we need the old firm. 

I also think it would be better if we could ensure more Scottish players had to be played and if wealth was distributed better.

Giving half their gate away though will never happen - they are businesses and that’s just giving away money which you are entitled to. 

The problem with football is it business when it suits and argument and sport when it's a different argument.

The sporting element element should always come first. I know gate sharing will never happen but if you want true competition you have to make sacrifices like that. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Quite happy for their to be no TV deal. Football on TV is shite anyway. 

Highland league standard football watched in person is better than champions league level football watched on TV. The more we can do to encourage fans to attend in person, the more enthusiasm there will be for scottish football and the better off we'll all be. 

Sharing gate receipts and improving competitiveness would further that aim. Removing bigotry and TV deals would also further that aim.

I really don't care that much what the old firm do. Stay in Scotland, fuckoff to England....fuck off to the moon. But fans  should seek to reform Scottish football for the better with or without their support. 

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The other clubs had the opportunity to change the rules when Rangers were out the top flight. Aberdeen chose not to so you cant blame the Old Firm for that.

4 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The other clubs had the opportunity to change the rules when Rangers were out the top flight. Aberdeen chose not to so you cant blame the Old Firm for that.

I didn't blame the old firm. I've repeatedly criticised the other clubs on here for buying the myth that they need the old firm

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I didn't blame the old firm. I've repeatedly criticised the other clubs on here for buying the myth that they need the old firm

I was just picking up on the old firm dont want competition point. No club wants competition. Aberdeen / hibs etc want to have an advantage over motherwell / St johnstone who in turn want an advantage over Hamilton and so on.

For the non old firm clubs to spend as they do, then they need the old firm. If they were willing to adjust budgets accordingly then life would still go on without the Old Firm.