European Super League - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Super League

Taylor1996

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

and players will play for it. 

Will they? If banned from international football and deprived of family life as rhey would be being constantly on the move. I really do not think so. Two players playing for those clubs today have already come out and voiced their concern and that is before bans start getting handed out.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The captain and vice captain of Liverpool have strongly opposed the ESL.

People have suggested that players willow follow the money. These people are underestimating footballers. At the end of the day, the maturity of these players are from humble backgrounds and they have a deep love for football (plus, they're hardly living hand to mouth).

I doubt any player from the top 6 (or 12) would be happy about this. They'll even be more incensed that the owners did this without even consulting them. The footballers knew when the fans did.

Hope this not off-topic but just for fun I tried to pick and England side that could face us IF the players at the top clubs are banned from the Euros. Here is what I came up with: 

Pope

Lamptey               Keane                  Mings           Justin

Maddison        Phillips                 ? (can't think of one here)

Grealish          Calvert-Lewin          Barnes

Frightening eh?

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

The captain and vice captain of Liverpool have strongly opposed the ESL.

People have suggested that players willow follow the money. These people are underestimating footballers. At the end of the day, the maturity of these players are from humble backgrounds and they have a deep love for football (plus, they're hardly living hand to mouth).

I doubt any player from the top 6 (or 12) would be happy about this. They'll even be more incensed that the owners did this without even consulting them. The footballers knew when the fans did.

Exactly.

The only people who want this are foreign club owners with no understanding of the roots of the club they own or what drives its fans and players. How many players will enjoy playing in nothing games all year round for Arsensl or Tottenham half a dozen games into the season knowing they ain't winning the league and do not have to strive for Euro qualification or worry about relegation? Very few if any.

24 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Will they? If banned from international football and deprived of family life as rhey would be being constantly on the move. I really do not think so. Two players playing for those clubs today have already come out and voiced their concern and that is before bans start getting handed out.

Wouldn’t surprise me, too much money on offer so guess we’ll see what happens 

The main reason for the setting up of the ESL is to get  more money, and this is because players are being paid unsustainable wages. It is a totally mercenary game now, and mst of these players will just ask for more money, if they think they can get it, irrespective of the morals of it.

21 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Exactly.

The only people who want this are foreign club owners with no understanding of the roots of the club they own or what drives its fans and players. How many players will enjoy playing in nothing games all year round for Arsensl or Tottenham half a dozen games into the season knowing they ain't winning the league and do not have to strive for Euro qualification or worry about relegation? Very few if any.

I can see it turning into a Harlem Globetrotters type thing, if it's allowed to continue beyond 1 year. Where it'll be 38 year old ex-superstars looking for a final pay out. It'll be glorified exhibition matches that will lose its novelty very quickly. The fans of those teams will suffer more than anyone.

58 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Hope this not off-topic but just for fun I tried to pick and England side that could face us IF the players at the top clubs are banned from the Euros. Here is what I came up with: 

Pope

Lamptey               Keane                  Mings           Justin

Maddison        Phillips                 ? (can't think of one here)

Grealish          Calvert-Lewin          Barnes

Frightening eh?

Bellingham or Rice!!!!  

Their depth is frightening aye - Vardy, Sancho, Bowen (WHU), Bertrand (Southampton), Inges, off the top of my head and all.  

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

It would have to be more than a stadium boycott. There would have to be a worldwide movement where the majority agrees that no one should watch the games on TV either. 

That alone wouldn't be enough, but with the sporting integrity pressure being put on the players, staff, managers etc, I could see an exodus of the elite men leaving the club within 6 months. You just need one pivotal figure to make a stand, and others would follow.

Say, for example, Ronaldo sued Juventus for a breach of contract and left to play for Bayern Munich. That would create waves. Or Klopp resigned from Liverpool and took over Everton. It would be anarchy. But it would work.

Step forward Zlatan of Ibrahimovic.... (I can't find a source for the quote, but here's hoping it's true).

Bah, nevermind... Seems to be a fake quote. Have removed the pic.

Edited by Dave78

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Exactly.

The owners have greatly overestimated their self-importance on this one.

The most important part of football is the fans and the players. The owners have managed to piss off, not only the fans and the players, but also the media and the UK government. 

It would be interested if this did happen, and the "founding members" of the ESL had a mass exodus of their players. Because it would happen. Especially if they're going to be expelled their respective leagues and internationals.

The US owners of Liverpool and Manchester United don't get it. Why would they? US sports are a closed shop. The "World Series" only contains teams from the one country.

As Carragher said last night, all it'll take is one club to pull out and the rest will follow. Gary Neville made a good case for it being Manchester City. Which I agree with. The owners of City don't need the money. The next on the list is Chelsea, for me. The yanks are working on a whole other page.

Edited by Taylor1996

1 hour ago, jailender said:

The main reason for the setting up of the ESL is to get  more money, and this is because players are being paid unsustainable wages. It is a totally mercenary game now, and mst of these players will just ask for more money, if they think they can get it, irrespective of the morals of it.

It’s not the players fault, at least not alone. 

37 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

The owners have greatly overestimated their self-importance on this one.

The most important part of football is the fans and the players. The owners have managed to piss off, not only the fans and the players, but also the media and the UK government. 

It would be interested if this did happen, and the "founding members" of the ESL had a mass exodus of their players. Because it would happen. Especially if they're going to be expelled their respective leagues and internationals.

The US owners of Liverpool and Manchester United don't get it. Why would they? US sports are a closed shop. The "World Series" only contains teams from the one country.

As Carragher said last night, all it'll take is one club to pull out and the rest will follow. Gary Neville made a good case for it being Manchester City. Which I agree with. The owners of City don't need the money. The next on the list is Chelsea, for me. The yanks are working on a whole other page.

The EPL captains are having an emergency meeting. I see a player revolt. If this goes ahead, I think a huge volume of the players will either strike or exit the club at the earliest opportunity. 

The other 14 teams simply won't play against the other 6 (if the 6 aren't expelled from the league anyway) And that is just England we are talking about. I assume Italy and Spain are no different.

The biggest losers to this will be the fans from the teams involved. There will be mass protests and riots in Manchester, Liverpool and London. 

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It's been a step to far since UEFA started offering 2nd, 3rd place teams automatic places in Europes Premier competition.

Agreed.

I just had a trawl through the teams who qualified for the last European Cups and first Champions Leagues...

Beveren, Mechelen, Werder Bremen, Kaiserslautern, Dynamo Dresden, Dynamo Berlin, Hansa Rostock, Partizani Tirana, Skonto Riga, Banik Ostrava, Widzew Lodz, Dinamo Minsk, Hadjuk Split, Dukla Prague, Bohemians Prague, Ujpesti, Honved, Ruch Chorzow, Lech Poznan, Dnipro-Dnipropetrovsk, Gornik Zabrze, Hellas Verona, Botev Plovdiv, FK Sarajevo, Zaglebie Lubin, Tavriya Simferopol, Viking Stavanger, Lillestrom...

Not many of these will be lucky enough (or allowed) to reach such dizzy heights ever again.

45 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Agreed.

I just had a trawl through the teams who qualified for the last European Cups and first Champions Leagues...

Beveren, Mechelen, Werder Bremen, Kaiserslautern, Dynamo Dresden, Dynamo Berlin, Hansa Rostock, Partizani Tirana, Skonto Riga, Banik Ostrava, Widzew Lodz, Dinamo Minsk, Hadjuk Split, Dukla Prague, Bohemians Prague, Ujpesti, Honved, Ruch Chorzow, Lech Poznan, Dnipro-Dnipropetrovsk, Gornik Zabrze, Hellas Verona, Botev Plovdiv, FK Sarajevo, Zaglebie Lubin, Tavriya Simferopol, Viking Stavanger, Lillestrom...

Not many of these will be lucky enough (or allowed) to reach such dizzy heights ever again.

And this what gets me......player revolts, fans protesting but what's the end game, a return to the status quo which is only slightly better than what was proposed. 

34 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

And this what gets me......player revolts, fans protesting but what's the end game, a return to the status quo which is only slightly better than what was proposed. 

I know. It's shyte either way.

Tottenham, Arsenal and Man City in the Super League FFS?

Three teams who have never won the European Cup / Champions League.

The invites for Red Star and Steaua are in the post, are they?

Thought not.

20 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m a bit disappointed. I wanted it to fall apart after some punishments. Little chance now of any reforms by Uefa. 

Agree with this, if anything it will make uefa think they're doing the right thing.

Credit to Carragher and Neville last night. They were right.

The EPL and UEFA have to make an example out of these 6 teams. Deduct them all 25 points in the EPL.

Give them all a 3 year ban from European competition. 

They think they're "losing money" and that fans are losing interest in football"? Fine. Let's flip the script and give fans of West Ham, Everton, Aston Villa, Leeds and Wolves a taste.

40 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Hopefully they aren’t withdrawing due to some promises made by UEFA which means they are better off than before this started

I suspect this will happen. 

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Credit to Carragher and Neville last night. They were right.

The EPL and UEFA have to make an example out of these 6 teams. Deduct them all 25 points in the EPL.

Give them all a 3 year ban from European competition. 

They think they're "losing money" and that fans are losing interest in football"? Fine. Let's flip the script and give fans of West Ham, Everton, Aston Villa, Leeds and Wolves a taste.

Carragher and Neville can now stop the moral outrage and get back to their big paid jobs with the company that started all this shit 30 years ago. A pair of fucking hypocrites 

43 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Hopefully they aren’t withdrawing due to some promises made by UEFA which means they are better off than before this started

Think the response by UEFA and FIFA sort of rules that out but never know what happens behind closed doors.