European Super League - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Super League

Taylor1996

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I know its a different ball game BUT this current system is also broken. If you have deep enough pockets you can buy success. Competition has been destroyed long before this latest proposal. Neville and sky just support a slightly lighter of it.

An example is the CL, look at it in its current form. There's 32 spaces already taken with 6 available to others who have to climb a mountain to get there. Nobody will convince me that's competitive and fair.

I hear pish from fans down here like the spirit is being ripped out football, that's honestly hilarious coming from any fan of the EPL because the spirit was ripped from football, chewed up and spat out long before now.

I agree with that, but it’s time to correct it rather than wash our hands of it. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I agree with that, but it’s time to correct it rather than wash our hands of it. 

I believe its too late to sort it. These super rich clubs have too much power. There's no way they'd want to see a return of competitive football. 

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I believe its too late to sort it. These super rich clubs have too much power. There's no way they'd want to see a return of competitive football. 

If they are on the outside looking in when it falls apart they will have to be humble. They are actually in massive debt, their wealth an illusion. This move shows how desperate they are. 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

If they are on the outside looking in when it falls apart they will have to be humble. They are actually in massive debt, their wealth an illusion. This move shows how desperate they are. 

I hope you are right but the way I see it, UEFA and the EPL are on one side whilst these clubs are on the other, neither of those sides want fair competition, UEFA certainly don't, this is almost a competition  between both sides to see who can be the most greedy cunt🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I hope you are right but the way I see it, UEFA and the EPL are on one side whilst these clubs are on the other, neither of those sides want fair competition, UEFA certainly don't, this is almost a competition  between both sides to see who can be the most greedy cunt🤣🤣

Yes. There’s nothing fundamentally wrong with Uefa if it is run by individuals with integrity. It tried to appease certain teams and it’s bitten them on the arse. If all clubs were represented equally, as is supposed to be the case, this mess would never have happened. There might be a chance for the genie to go back in the bottle but it needs the ESL to happen and then fail. Further appeasement with enhanced CL terms to avert the ESL will lead to later disaster. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah they wouldn’t have announced it if it wasn’t certain. 

Expecting all the teams involved to be thrown out the champions league on Friday 

Think most have resigned from the European Clubs Association. 

Who’d have thought American billionaires, oil tycoons and middle eastern royal families would have no regard for the traditions and history of European football 😂

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Too late, unless UEFA, FIFA and the FA’s can legally stop it, which doesn’t look likely if JP Morgan are putting their name to this and the clubs have released a joint statement. You’ve assumed they’ve had the best legal advice before going public. 

27 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Too late, unless UEFA, FIFA and the FA’s can legally stop it, which doesn’t look likely if JP Morgan are putting their name to this and the clubs have released a joint statement. You’ve assumed they’ve had the best legal advice before going public. 

Hmm I am not so sure the breakaway clubs have gone into it in such detail in legal terms. I mean it could be seriously questioned about its legality straight away about how it stifles competition by being a closed shop.

For me this is them trying to leverage more power over UEFA hoping UEFA buckle and knuckle under to their demands.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmm I am not so sure the breakaway clubs have gone into it in such detail in legal terms. I mean it could be seriously questioned about its legality straight away about how it stifles competition by being a closed shop.

For me this is them trying to leverage more power over UEFA hoping UEFA buckle and knuckle under to their demands.

Does that make it illegal?

The leveraging of power could be possible but I’m not so sure. 

This does seem like the natural progression of football if you look at it from a business point of view. 

If it’s not illegal then the only way to stop it would be if the players decided against it. 

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

Does that make it illegal?

The leveraging of power could be possible but I’m not so sure. 

This does seem like the natural progression of football if you look at it from a business point of view. 

If it’s not illegal then the only way to stop it would be if the players decided against it. 

Well, of course, legality of it is difficult to prove against but.....

Lets presume legally it cannot be stopped. There will certainly be sanctions as a result from the EPL, UEFA and FIFA. There is no way at all the ESL will be able to start without it causing huge ramifications to the game across the globe.

Okay you may find it legally impossible to stop it happening but certainly, on the other side of the coin, I can see the EPL banning the big six from the league. I can see UEFA and FIFA envoking a ban on players involved from playing in international football. A similar situation arose in cricket in the mid to late 1970s with Kerry Packer and players who signed up were banned from international cricket. Options are there. Also there is then the huge question of the quality/quantity of players available to those big clubs. If international bans are placed on the players how many world class players will want to chuck away the chance of playing in Copa America, the Euros and the World Cup? If fans boycott those clubs involved how many supporters will be at those games? These are all highly pertinent points the greed-ridden owners have not thought about. To run a football club you need players so what happens when that supply isn't there?

48 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well, of course, legality of it is difficult to prove against but.....

Lets presume legally it cannot be stopped. There will certainly be sanctions as a result from the EPL, UEFA and FIFA. There is no way at all the ESL will be able to start without it causing huge ramifications to the game across the globe.

Okay you may find it legally impossible to stop it happening but certainly, on the other side of the coin, I can see the EPL banning the big six from the league. I can see UEFA and FIFA envoking a ban on players involved from playing in international football. A similar situation arose in cricket in the mid to late 1970s with Kerry Packer and players who signed up were banned from international cricket. Options are there. Also there is then the huge question of the quality/quantity of players available to those big clubs. If international bans are placed on the players how many world class players will want to chuck away the chance of playing in Copa America, the Euros and the World Cup? If fans boycott those clubs involved how many supporters will be at those games? These are all highly pertinent points the greed-ridden owners have not thought about. To run a football club you need players so what happens when that supply isn't there?

The clubs involved probably won’t be bothered if there are kicked out the leagues or surely expected this to be the response?

I don’t know, fans worldwide will follow it, tv companies will bid for it and players will play for it. 

Monday night in New York, Manchester United v Chelsea 

Thursday night in Dubai, Juventus v Real Madrid 

Long term this could benefit our game? As in Scotland. 

It’s not good for England or the champions league but for a league of our size it could be a positive as the appeal of England will lessen? And our own game can prosper a bit more.

Think I’ve read too many Taylor comments and I’m just speaking shite now 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If fans boycott those clubs involved how many supporters will be at those games? These are all highly pertinent points the greed-ridden owners have not thought about.

This year has proved that they dont need fans..  look at all the games played in neutral countries and grounds this year in empty stadiums.

The businesses have seen this and realise  'home based' fans are not needed in a pure business sense.

This is what they see. A Product . 

Chelsea v Man City or  Barca v Real playing in LA/Toyko/Bangkoketc will sell out as they will market/price it such  -    TV will pay -  viewers will watch -  advertisers will pay - money will be made

Fans from the home city are not needed, i am unsure what a boycott could achieve, although i am all for it.

Its pretty dire if this goes ahead

Edited by stocky

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m not saying it should be stopped but there is an opportunity for the other clubs to produce a fairer system. The ESL will quickly fail and will need to step into line. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The clubs involved probably won’t be bothered if there are kicked out the leagues or surely expected this to be the response?

I don’t know, fans worldwide will follow it, tv companies will bid for it and players will play for it. 

Monday night in New York, Manchester United v Chelsea 

Thursday night in Dubai, Juventus v Real Madrid 

I don’t think many Europeans would be interested, maybe Asians. 

Domestic fans dont matter. The big 6 teams have far more fans globally than domestically. The Man Utd fan in China would rather watch Utd vs Barca than Utd vs Burnley.

The ESL wont be stopped by the fans or the uproar.

The only way it can be stopped is the government. Their are anti competition laws that can be envoked.

The EPL should start by excluding the teams from domestic competition. Same with Uefa and Fifa with european and international comps. 

Sadly I dont think that would stop this. Other measures need to be brought in to hinder these clubs. Ie Fifa need to say that no club can register any loan players from ESL sides. All of these sides have 40 odd players out on loan each year. They cherry pick the best for their teams and sell on the others for a tidy profit. That rule would effectively bring an end to their academys. Meaning they have to buy all their players which hits them in the pocket.

Sky and BT should come out now and say they wont broadcast the ESL. I think something like Amazon will already be lined up to stream however.

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Think most have resigned from the European Clubs Association. 

Who’d have thought American billionaires, oil tycoons and middle eastern royal families would have no regard for the traditions and history of European football 😂

Yes touché haha 

20 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Domestic fans dont matter. The big 6 teams hae far more fans globally than domestically. The Man Utd fan in China would rather watch Utd vs Barca than Utd vs Burnley.

The ESL wont be stopped by the fans or the uproar.

The only way it can be stopped is the government. Their are anti competition laws that can be envoked.

The EPL should start by excluding the teams from domestic competition. Same with Uefa and Fifa with european and international comps. 

Sadly I dont think that would stop this. Other measures need to be brought in to hinder these clubs. Ie Fifa need to say that no club can register any loan players from ESL sides. All of these sides have 40 odd players out on loan each year. They cherry pick the best for their teams and sell on the others for a tidy profit. That rule would effectively bring an end to their academys. Meaning they have to buy all their players which hits them in the pocket.

Sky and BT should come out now and say they wont broadcast the ESL. I think something like Amazon will already be lined up to stream however.

Sky would jump at the chance of these rights, their new found morals would be flushed down the toilet if they were offered the rights to the ESL.

I firmly believe that Sky and BT wouldn't touch it.

Not out of morality, those two are UK based and they'd know that they would incur a massive backlash from the media, from fans, from managers, from most owners of clubs, from the UK government, etc.

The passions are red hot on this topic.

If anyone would take the rights Amazon would, as they wouldn't take much of a hit if UK subscribers snubbed them.

Edited by Taylor1996

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Why do we have two threads with the exact same title? Is it one for the nutters and one for the sensible folk?

Hard to tell which thread is for who, is this the nutters or sensible folk one ^?^

1 hour ago, stocky said:

This year has proved that they dont need fans..  look at all the games played in neutral countries and grounds this year in empty stadiums.

The businesses have seen this and realise  'home based' fans are not needed in a pure business sense.

This is what they see. A Product . 

Chelsea v Man City or  Barca v Real playing in LA/Toyko/Bangkoketc will sell out as they will market/price it such  -    TV will pay -  viewers will watch -  advertisers will pay - money will be made

Fans from the home city are not needed, i am unsure what a boycott could achieve, although i am all for it.

Its pretty dire if this goes ahead

It would have to be more than a stadium boycott. There would have to be a worldwide movement where the majority agrees that no one should watch the games on TV either. 

That alone wouldn't be enough, but with the sporting integrity pressure being put on the players, staff, managers etc, I could see an exodus of the elite men leaving the club within 6 months. You just need one pivotal figure to make a stand, and others would follow.

Say, for example, Ronaldo sued Juventus for a breach of contract and left to play for Bayern Munich. That would create waves. Or Klopp resigned from Liverpool and took over Everton. It would be anarchy. But it would work.