Hope Over Fear - George Square Today - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hope Over Fear - George Square Today

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was great. I am so glad I went. It was a long way to go for a day but well worth it for my mental health ;) Cheered me up no end. Haven't felt this good since the 18th. I am still a long way from getting over it but this helped no end - cathartic :)

Bumped into people from the Aberdeen Yes lot and some TA mates and just being with others who feel like me went some way to restoring my faith. Great to see the Yesers smiling again.

Went to see the Yes Bar too but was mobbed. Hope it stays the Yes Bar permanently.

These gatherings. Same people doing same thing while the ordinary person shakes their head and gets on with life.

7 years of SNP government, 2+ years of campaigning, a full civil service to support, multi millionaire backers, promises that were backed with minimal economic facts promising all things to all and shouts of "traitor" to those on opposite side. Only 38% of the available electorate voted Yes. Move on.

These gatherings. Same people doing same thing while the ordinary person shakes their head and gets on with life.

7 years of SNP government, 2+ years of campaigning, a full civil service to support, multi millionaire backers, promises that were backed with minimal economic facts promising all things to all and shouts of "traitor" to those on opposite side. Only 38% of the available electorate voted Yes. Move on.

Make us.

Meaning only 45% of the eligible voters voted No. You don't have a majority for shit never mind No.

It was great. I am so glad I went. It was a long way to go for a day but well worth it for my mental health ;) Cheered me up no end. Haven't felt this good since the 18th. I am still a long way from getting over it but this helped no end - cathartic :)

Bumped into people from the Aberdeen Yes lot and some TA mates and just being with others who feel like me went some way to restoring my faith. Great to see the Yesers smiling again.

Went to see the Yes Bar too but was mobbed. Hope it stays the Yes Bar permanently.

If the referendum had not been cheated with the introduction of Devo Max under No or the trumped up scare stories and lies carried by the mass media or the line up of world leaders coaxed into advising against it or the voting irregularities identified on the day etc etc etc then you might stand a chance of getting over it.

Had the No campaign acted with integrity and honesty and won fair and square them maybe you would have stood a chance of accepting it and moving on.

But none of that applies and there will be no moving on after that experience, quite the opposite in fact. As far as I am concerned it is like I have suddenly become aware that 55% of the population are in large part some of the most unattractive people I have ever encountered.

The referndum was the lens through which we have 'seen them'.

Look around you in the Yes camp and compare to the Nos on here. Who do you want to be around.

Salmond and Sturgeon said it was a "once in a lifetime opportunity". If it had been 50.1% Yes then indy would have happened. Yes threw in multiple scare stories including trotting out the old NHS privatisation nonsense. It was a fair and democratic vote. If you can't accept democracy then you're going down the wrong path.

Salmond and Sturgeon said it was a "once in a lifetime opportunity". If it had been 50.1% Yes then indy would have happened. Yes threw in multiple scare stories including trotting out the old NHS privatisation nonsense. It was a fair and democratic vote. If you can't accept democracy then you're going down the wrong path.

Alan, you have seen the breakdown of how different age groups voted haven't you? It is likely that in 5-10 years time those wanting independence will be in the majority. Therefore would it not be fair and democratic to address the will of the electorate should they continue to return SNP governments?

I can just about accept that the vote was fair and democratic. I will however, never accept that the campaign, coverage and process were.

Democracy doesn't come to a halt just because one side won. We all still believe in Independence and we'll all still do what we can to achieve it, that's democracy, telling us to shut up and get back in our box is not.