Hope Over Fear - George Square Today - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hope Over Fear - George Square Today

I was low after the referendum. Really low.

I couldn't take it any more so booked a week in Poland (Gdansk) then a week in tenerife (where I write this from).

I'm still struggling but some time away from Scotland has helped.

With every foreign national that apologises when I state I'm from Scotland it adds to my resolve to do more. More. Weird word. More powers. More than 45%. More than just a movement.

I will see it in my lifetime and I've met a few folk on my travels who are feeling all the more determined.

I got the yes logo tattooed to my wrist so I can cover it with a watch. Time will see independence. It was cathartic but these two weeks have healed the tattoo. It's not quelled the fire.

That's overly twee but it stands.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we have. It was you "Move on" comment that displayed your lack of understanding.

You're right I don't understand. Yes was a great marketing project. Promised all things to all. It had its chance. A devolved Scottish Parliament in a UK is the settled will of the Scottish people. Time for politicians to get back to the good old boring stuff and working out what to tax and how to spend it.

You're right I don't understand. Yes was a great marketing project. Promised all things to all. It had its chance. A devolved Scottish Parliament in a UK is the settled will of the Scottish people. Time for politicians to get back to the good old boring stuff and working out what to tax and how to spend it.

It was the settled will of the Scottish people at that moment. Society is dynamic and ever changing.

For those who were there, how does your experience of the day tally with this writer? They don't think much of Tommy Sheridan...

http://athousandflowers.net/2014/10/12/despair-in-the-square-with-hopeoverfear/

Sheridan is an embarrassment. He may be a good speaker, but his involvement in the Yes campaign is roughly equivalent to Galloway's on the No side. For about a day Galloway was lauded in the msm as the saviour of the Union due to his passionate straight talking etc., until he appeared in that thing in Glasgow in a daft hat and opened his mouth and everyone remembered what a Grade A ####wit he is in reality. The thousand flowers site has been consistently excellent in showing up both Galloway and Sheridan for what they really are. Edited by Pool Q

Less than half of the "Scottish People" backed the Union, it's hardly their "Settled will".

Whether you agree with it or not it wasn't doing you any harm so get over it

Yeah a bit like childishly removing someone's profile picture that's been on for years because you don't agree with it.

Pathetic.

These gatherings. Same people doing same thing while the ordinary person shakes their head and gets on with life.

As an SNP member for 40 years I have been at more than my fair share of marches and rallys for Scotland to return to being a normal country. I know most of the faces and people who have been involved. I've looked at numerous videos of the rally on Sunday and I didn't recognise anyone .Which is great because that means its not the same people doing the same thing.

Love the Bitter together lot remarks on FB ref the rally on Sunday. Get the impresion they are jealous. One said we should be puttimg our energy into respecting Soldiers Sailors and Airmen instead. Honestly !!!!!

There is some truth in the account of the speakers but the stuff about the crowd is cr4p. They clearly just want to knock the whole day because Tommy was involved. It was a great get together and I bumped into so many people and had some great chats. It was nice to get together and show that we are not going anywhere and to see people I hadn't seen since the referendum.

Thanks. Also sounds like the crowd was larger than 6k over the whole afternoon.

I have been thinking about the democracy vigil that was set up outside St Andrews House after the election in 1992 - it stayed there until we voted for our own parliament in 1997. Wondering if anyone is planning to do something similar?

Yeah a bit like childishly removing someone's profile picture that's been on for years because you don't agree with it.

Pathetic.

I had the same problem. You will note it is still in your profile and has not been removed (by Lamia!). Scotty is also correct, you merely have to re-upload it as your avatar.

Democracy. We have a campaign. We have a vote. It is fair and transparent. One side wins. The others respect the decision.

It was anything but a fair and transparent vote!

At the insistence of Westminster the vote was only meant to be a Yes or No to Independence. Westminster, seeing they were losing, then changed the terms of the debate. Osborne said there would a new offer of more powers and the NEXT day Brown came out with statements that these new powers would be a modern form of home rule and also that we would get as close as you can get to a federal government. Danny Alexander said that the new powers would effectively be home rule. Then there was the "Vow" that was unspecific. How can the Vow be transparent when no-one knew what powers were meant and many were thinking "home rule" and "federalism" - programmed into their heads by Messrs Brown and Alexander. No, not fair nor transparent - Scotland has been cheated.

It would now seem very likely that the new powers will fall a long way short of anyone's understanding of Home Rule. Of course we will need to wait and see .. but if the powers don't match up to promises then the people of Scotland, and particularly those who change their mind to a No on the basis of these promises, will have been conned into a No vote. On that basis all bets will be off and no-one could argue that the No vote was democratic or fair.

In the meantime, we're not going anywhere or accepting anything..........

Edited by tomtscotland

I had the same problem. You will note it is still in your profile and has not been removed (by Lamia!). Scotty is also correct, you merely have to re-upload it as your avatar.

Yeah, i had to do the same. Maybe the Mods really hate Eoin Jess :lol:

tomtscotland showing why the dogma of nationalism will never accept democratic votes against nationalism. For new powers and evolution of Scottish Parliament hardline nationalists will do anything to disrupt the process and bleat their politics of unfairness. The SNP and UKIP share a lot in this type of politics.

tomtscotland showing why the dogma of nationalism will never accept democratic votes against nationalism. For new powers and evolution of Scottish Parliament hardline nationalists will do anything to disrupt the process and bleat their politics of unfairness. The SNP and UKIP share a lot in this type of politics.

So there should never be another vote?

Should that apply to elections as well? Why have a general election next year as the people spoke 5 years ago. People change their mind. There will be another referendum and if needed another after that until your region votes for nationhood and sovereignty.

If in doubt, conflate the SNP with UKIP.

It was not a democratic vote 'against nationalism' - it was a choice between two types of nationalism. Backwards looking British nationalism, "we stood proudly together against Hitler" which is best exemplified by the morons and racists of UKIP, against the progressive, inclusive, civic nationalism as espoused by the SNP and others.

Some TAMBers lost their profile pics with the last board upgrade.

Try reloading it.

Pffft, I prefered it when it was my conspiracy theory :-D

Cheers.

Says the guy who got his 'politics' off the shelf at his club shop.

Instead of the type of jumped on the bandwagon brainwashed by a messageboard halfwits that are pro SNP but could not spell SNP two years ago?

Some of the most prolific posters on this board, if you look back 2/4 years had never mentioned the SNP in any post ever now they all claim to have been in Seville.

Tis all merely a game old chum.

Thank you too, like I said to Scotty I prefered it when I could have an unfounded whinge with no supporting evidence....

Insert pun here..

Although I must say I never directly blamed Lamia, just the boards faceless admin.