Hope Over Fear - George Square Today - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hope Over Fear - George Square Today

Jags' support is definitely heavily Yes, but Maryhill itself a isn't hotbed of Thistle fans. I know Summerston well (too well...) and it's basically a reservation for Celtic fans.

That's true. Most folk I know from Hairymill are Celtic supporters.

Back when talk of Firhill being sold to property developers was all the rage I wondered if a return to Partick and potentially a whole new fanbase might be good for the club.

Your knowledge of the Glasgow pub scene is truly encyclopedic Mr Endell.

I once told my old pal Pete Z I considered following Thistle when I moved to Glasgow. He asked why and I explained it was near the West End and had a more 'bohemian' support.

"Waaaaaankers..." was his reply whilst giving it the universal hand gesture.

So are they more bohemian?

You do see a fair number of arty/bohemian types at games, but you also get auld guys in bunnets, young families with kids, students, neds ... it's a cross section of Scottish society, basically. We used to always have a stall at the west end festival, which is pretty arty and bohemian, but the club hasn't done that for a few years now.

I remember a post on one of the fans forums a couple of years ago saying that Thistle missed a great opportunity to become a sort of Glaswegian St. Pauli. This is a bit of a shame, if only because it would have put bums on seats while annoying the f*ck out of Alan all in one go. :)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true. Most folk I know from Hairymill are Celtic supporters.

Back when talk of Firhill being sold to property developers was all the rage I wondered if a return to Partick and potentially a whole new fanbase might be good for the club.

You do see a fair number of arty/bohemian types at games, but you also get auld guys in bunnets, young families with kids, students, neds ... it's a cross section of Scottish society, basically. We used to always have a stall at the west end festival, which is pretty arty and bohemian, but the club hasn't done that for a few years now.

I remember a post on one of the fans forums a couple of years ago saying that Thistle missed a great opportunity to become a sort of Glaswegian St. Pauli. This is a bit of a shame, if only because it would have put bums on seats while annoying the f*ck out of Alan all in one go. :)

St Pauli have the best location of any football club - the Reeperbahn is just around the corner - a superb, if slightly edgy, night out - I'd happily have the Silbersack as my post-match venue :beer2: .

Not that I'm obsessed with pubs.

Edited by Charlie Endell

No, I've never actually met him. He's definitely a Jag though - he also posts on the wearethistle site (I know that doesn't confirm 100% that he's a Thistle fan but that would be taking any pretence too far...).

He also spends a lot of time on the TAMB saying he is Scottish.

Edited by Orraloon

Respect freedom of speech and freedom to gather. Respect freedom to comment and to walk through my home city without being bothered by sooners which I had to put up with for 2+ years.

Can't take much to bother you! Maybe you should try not being so easily bothered

St Pauli have the best location of any football club - the Reeperbahn is just around the corner - a superb, if slightly edgy, night out - I'd happily have the Silbersack as my post-match venue :beer2: .

Not that I'm obsessed with pubs.

Maryhill Road and Munns Vaults can't really compete with that.

By the way, do you know if Munns has re-opened yet? Someone was asking me last night I wasn't sure.

Maryhill Road and Munns Vaults can't really compete with that.By the way, do you know if Munns has re-opened yet? Someone was asking me last night I wasn't sure.

I'm not sure either - I always approach Firhill coming up Maryhill Road - I've only been in it once and that was before the friendly v Wolves (0-0?) in the early / mid-nineties (I can only very vaguely recall the interior ).

Edited by Charlie Endell

Using pubs as a guide the Ram's Head is Celtic, while the First & Last directly opposite is Rangers

Do they still have the drawing of Henrik Larsson above the bar in the Ram's Head?

Me and the wife went into the First and Last one night after we had moved into a flat across the road. Didn't know it was a Rangers bar, but i remember thinking it had a different feel to it than the Ram's Heid. Seemed like it was more of a local bar for local people (peepil?). Maybe that's unfair, as i remember it was a lot smaller than the Ram's Head so maybe had more community/regulars than across the road.

if half the folk that attended this rally yesterday had attended the protest against TTIP on Saturday then we'd have a chance of making a difference.

Jeezo, I wasn't exactly thrilled when I heard they were moving it from Balado either but organisng a protest is a bit much.

Having moved several miles off thread I thought I'd go back 6 or 7 pages to this neat (if not truly original) gag - too well crafted to pass without comment. So, in time-honoured fashion

????

if half the folk that attended this rally yesterday had attended the protest against TTIP on Saturday then we'd have a chance of making a difference.

Having moved several miles off thread I thought I'd go back 6 or 7 pages to this neat (if not truly original) gag - too well crafted to pass without comment. So, in time-honoured fashion

????

I'll have you know I thought of it all by myself.

Glad you liked it though. Shame the rest of the miserable bassas on here wanted to talk about boring old politics instead.

Do they still have the drawing of Henrik Larsson above the bar in the Ram's Head?

Me and the wife went into the First and Last one night after we had moved into a flat across the road. Didn't know it was a Rangers bar, but i remember thinking it had a different feel to it than the Ram's Heid. Seemed like it was more of a local bar for local people (peepil?). Maybe that's unfair, as i remember it was a lot smaller than the Ram's Head so maybe had more community/regulars than across the road.

I've only been in the lounge as any time I was there I was 'entertaining' - back in my Summerston nights days.